University Project - Product to Improve Cyclist Safety

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Sam Neilson

University Project - Product to Improve Cyclist Safety

Post by Sam Neilson »

Hi everyone,

I'm conscious that this may seem like advertising but I thought it would be best to enrol the help of this forum!

I am an engineering student at Loughborough University and as part of my current studies I have undertaken a project entitled "Design of a Light Weight / Low Cost Product to Improve the Safety of Cyclists on Roads". To give you a brief background my current supervisor has begun commuting to the university more frequently by bicycle and has become increasingly aware of the potential dangers and hazards of cycling on UK roads. Therefore the idea to develop a new product to improve cyclist safety by positively changing the way other road-users behave towards cyclists has been brought forward.

As part of my research I have reviewed many literary sources and forums to find out the most common problem areas to cover during concept generation and practical evaluation.

I have contacted CTC prior to this post with a response to say it would be fine to post a link to my composed survey : http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8S9T5DQ

It only takes 2-3 minutes, but I would appreciate it if I could get as many responses from forum members as possible. If you feel like leaving comments on this thread accounting for experiences you may have had whilst cycling (encounters with other road-users) please go ahead. Any responses (if quoted in report form) will be kept as anonymous and personal or contact information will be used by myself alone should I wish to contact individuals further.

If you would like further information on the projects progress please send me a message!

Thank you,

Sam.
Sam Neilson
MEng Product Design Engineering Student
Loughborough University
Si

Re: University Project - Product to Improve Cyclist Safety

Post by Si »

I'm conscious that this may seem like advertising

If it's just for your course work then no problems.

If it's for a real product but you don't link to or mention the product then that's probably OK (if the product works then someone else is bound to do that for you).

Although, it's hard to tell from the survey how you are going to use it to design a product, rather it does look like you are using it to be able to say that X number of people have had a problem, and of these X number Y fall into the category of.... However, what you have doesn't go far enough to do this as you've asked for no data on mileages, where people ride, how they ride, etc etc. Thus, I'd be interested to know how the data will be used?
Sam Neilson

Post by Sam Neilson »

The project at this stage is purely for coursework only. It is hoped that a working prototype of the product shall be manufactured for proof-of-principle testing.

I agree with all your points by the way. Hopefully I can explain how I'm approaching the particular survey:

i). As the research section is stated to be a small percentage of the estimated time I should dedicate to the project, I am relying on recommended journals, books and reports as my main sources of information such as those published by the TRL, Department For Transport and practical research conducted by Dr Ian Walker (a lecturer I have been in contact with at Bath University). Based on my personal available time using the survey is to confirm some basic assumptions for further product development.

ii). In no way is it meant to be the primary driver for how the product shall take shape - I shall be conducting face-to-face interviews with local cyclists and brainstorming sessions with representatives here at Loughborough as my intended next steps.

iii). Free hosting on SurveyMonkey is limited to 10 questions!
Sam Neilson
Loughborough University
Si

Post by Si »

Ah, I see!

Although "As the research section is stated to be a small percentage of the estimated time" sounds a bit odd....but I guess that the idea is that they rate how you design and make a product rather than if you've really proven the product to be needed.
Sam Neilson

Post by Sam Neilson »

Exactly! It is an odd thing to do (weighted 20% research to around 45% design, with the rest construction / experiments / reports). So the important part of the project is the design development and eventual prototype.

However I'd really like it to be something that does make a difference whilst in use on the roads. Getting responses from cyclists and groups such as yourselves will definitely make a difference to the way it turns out.
Sam Neilson
Loughborough University
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Sam Neilson wrote: become increasingly aware of the potential dangers and hazards of cycling on UK roads. Therefore the idea to develop a new product to improve cyclist safety by positively changing the way other road-users behave towards cyclists has been brought forward.

the answer, i believe, will come with a change in the law. instigated by a politician with a backbone that is willing to do the right thing. i fail to see how any product will improve the situation? although i fail to see any politicains with either backbones or willing to do the right thing, let alone both :roll:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Realistic sentances for idiotic driving behaviour.
Lobotomy for motorists when they are learning to drive, or some sort of impregnation device; I WILL observe cyclists and pedestrains and I WILL drive courteously and in expectation that I might have to deal with the unexpected on the road.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
sore thumb

Post by sore thumb »

Sorry but we don't need any new products to improve cycle safety. It comes across as blame the victim. Education of motorists, attitude change of motorists, change in laws to improve cycle safety, stiffer sentences for those that break motoring offences are what's needed. Not a new product. Sorry.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1
Mick F. Cornwall
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Just done the survey. I would say my biggest gripe on the daily commute is vehicles overtaking too close, too fast and then pulling in too soon. I currently have a pair of Winkku indicator mirrors on my bike and I think I have had less dangerous overtakes since using them. There are some things about them that could stand to be redesigned or re-engineered but that is probably a bit to simple and lacking in originality for your project. A while back I did think that some kind of scanning laser device could be mounted on a bike which shines on the road to mark out the safe passing distance. At other times I have thought if there was some way of displaying your speed to other road users they might think twice before moving into the path of the 'slow bicycle' doing 20+ mph. But as others have already said it is a change in attitude that is most needed - mind control lasers perhaps, I here the CIA have had them since the 60's.
RickH

Post by RickH »

WaterLab Rat wrote:Just done the survey. I would say my biggest gripe on the daily commute is vehicles overtaking too close, too fast and then pulling in too soon. I currently have a pair of Winkku indicator mirrors on my bike and I think I have had less dangerous overtakes since using them. There are some things about them that could stand to be redesigned or re-engineered but that is probably a bit to simple and lacking in originality for your project. A while back I did think that some kind of scanning laser device could be mounted on a bike which shines on the road to mark out the safe passing distance. At other times I have thought if there was some way of displaying your speed to other road users they might think twice before moving into the path of the 'slow bicycle' doing 20+ mph. But as others have already said it is a change in attitude that is most needed - mind control lasers perhaps, I here the CIA have had them since the 60's.

Wouldn't it be better to have a scanning laser that just vaporises any vehicles that come too close!.

Alternatively, if the OP is looking for something fairly cheap to manufacture may a bracket like those red reflector ones that sticks out the side but mounted with large, sharp spikes. (reminds me of my experience that you don't get jostled from behind on a busy train when you have a rucksack on with crampons strapped to the back!! :twisted:)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

How about a virtual reality overlay on the cars wind screen that shows details of the cyclist they are about to overtake? Hi this is Phil and he has two youngs kids, he'd appreciated a gap as you pass him...
stork

Post by stork »

Blonde wig?
SleepyJoe

Post by SleepyJoe »

Instead of a spike on the end of a stick, I have often thought that a paint ball automatically triggered by a proximity sensor would automatically let motorist know when they are too close!
Even better would be a vertical array which could print (dot matrix style) a suitable message.
Of course it would have to weigh nothing.

alternatively, a couple of video cameras to record close overtakes and a police service who would react to video evidence would work.
Mark
gaz

Post by gaz »

WaterLab Rat wrote:.... At other times I have thought if there was some way of displaying your speed to other road users they might think twice before moving into the path of the 'slow bicycle' doing 20+ mph....

I'm sure I've read about a "speed display vest" before either on the forum of in Cycle. I'll have a search around and see if I can come up with anything.

Found it, Speed Vest.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade