Panaracer Paselas.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JohnW

Panaracer Paselas.

Post by JohnW »

For several years I've standardised on Panaracer Paselas - 28mm and 25mm. Just as an aside, my 23mm tyres are Continentals.

I know that not everyone on the forum holds them in the high esteem that I do but my own experience has been that they're unexpectedly lively and that they reduce punctures - I've worn Paselas out with never a puncture. Some years I go through two pairs and sometimes three.

The last two pairs of 28mm have been much less puncture resistant than previously and more prone to sidewall damage.

Have I been unlucky or have others experienced the same?

.........and - what does everyone recommend? - for touring, heavy touring, commuting and gentle off-road like towpaths.............?
fausto copy

Re: Panaracer Paselas.

Post by fausto copy »

JohnW wrote:.........and - what does everyone recommend? - for touring, heavy touring, commuting and gentle off-road like towpaths.............?

Schwalbe Marathon Plus, Schwalbe Marathon Plus, Schwalbe Marathon Plus & Schwalbe Marathon Plus. :wink:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I'm still using up my stash of Bontrager Select K tyres, so nowt long term to compare them with really.

BTW I'd suggest that a 'Marathon Racer' might compare more closely to a Pasela? I've never ridden both back to back or for any great distance tho.

Many other touring tyres are significantly heavier and less lively.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I gave up on Paselas because the sidewalls were too prone to damage. I now use (28mm) RibMos - they are a little heavier but still feel lively, roll very well, are very comfortable and are very robust. They also grip well in the wet.
irc

Post by irc »

Marathon Supremes or Marathon Racers. I've a pair of Supremes on my MTB commuter/shopper/pub bike with no punctures in 2 years despite urban roads. I've used racers on my tourer. Nice tyres but punctured once or twice on a 3500 mile tour. So not puncture free but good enough considering how light they are.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Have always used and been happy with Scwalbe Marathon plus on my solo tourer but recently swapped to Scwalbe Supreme as the Supreme is just about half the weight of the Marathon plus.

I tried the Supremes on my solo tourer as I've used them on my touring tandem for a few years now.

I'm 1,000 miles into them on the solo tourer and they have been 'p**c***e' free so far and roll very nicely too (although that's a subjective observation of course).
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

I had a look at the Paselas to replace my tired Bontrager Racelite Hardcase but the sidewalls felt susceptible. So I bought some Vittoria Randonneurs.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fausto copy wrote:
JohnW wrote:.........and - what does everyone recommend? - for touring, heavy touring, commuting and gentle off-road like towpaths.............?

Schwalbe Marathon Plus, Schwalbe Marathon Plus, Schwalbe Marathon Plus & Schwalbe Marathon Plus. :wink:

OK for tractors,for bicycles however..........

LollyKat wrote:I gave up on Paselas because the sidewalls were too prone to damage. I now use (28mm) RibMos - they are a little heavier but still feel lively, roll very well, are very comfortable and are very robust. They also grip well in the wet.

Are far better :) +1 for RibMos
PS, two punctures in three years of tandem use,
Last edited by reohn2 on 27 Oct 2012, 10:09am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:

BTW I'd suggest that a 'Marathon Racer' might compare more closely to a Pasela?
cheers

Yes "Racers" are good and quick but not available in small sections,smallest size in 700c is 30mm*,and PlanetX have them on offer for £18.50 :D at the mo,I've just ordered two for the Thorn Audax Mk3 :)
I run them in 700x35 on the Kona and like them a lot :) .

* also available in 700x35 and 38s:- http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYS ... lding_tyre
W H Auden
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Have any of you ridden Paselas and Marathon racers back to back? If so, which do you think is the most responsive/fastest?

I've got 35mm Racers on one bike and, perhaps not surprisingly, they feel distinctly sluggish compared to the 28mm Gatorskins / GP4 seasons that I am more used to. I wonder if Paselas woud be an improvement?
irc

Post by irc »

reohn2 wrote:* also available in 700x35 and 38s:- http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYS ... lding_tyre

Thanks for the heads up. A pair of 700x38s ordered.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

robc02 wrote:Have any of you ridden Paselas and Marathon racers back to back? If so, which do you think is the most responsive/fastest?

I've got 35mm Racers on one bike and, perhaps not surprisingly, they feel distinctly sluggish compared to the 28mm Gatorskins / GP4 seasons that I am more used to. I wonder if Paselas woud be an improvement?

IMO there's no difference in speed but feel (what JohnW terms as "lively")yes.
It's always a trade off,the more supple the carcass the "livelier" the ride but on the UK's potholed tracks we now term as roads,the more likelyhood of sidewall damage with supple(fragile) tyres is a problem.
Which is why I prefere big rubber that I can run at lower PSI's for more comfort,big light rubber(35mm Racers weigh 375gr) run very well indeed :) .
What PSI do you run your Racers at?
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

I quite like the Marathon Racers but things are not always as rosy as they first appear.

The weight of 375g is for a HS429 35mm folding Racer.

The HS366 35mm folding Racer as sold by Planet X weighs 400g and the rigid HS366 weighs 465g.
Unless it is silver and then it weighs 542g and seems to be just a Marathon with "Racer" written on it alongside HS366.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

How do these compare with the HS429s offered by SJS (also on sale right now)....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:How do these compare with the HS429s offered by SJS (also on sale right now)....?

cheers

The H429 is the lastest incarnation of the Racer and is listed as 375gr for a folding 700x35mm tyre.
Meic's right,having been and weighed one of the five 700x35mm H366's I bought from PlanetX last winter, they are slighty heavier @ 400gr than the latest version which also has a slightly different tread pattern.
The lastest version isn't available as a folder in 700x30mm according to Schwalbe UK's site and weighs 395gr.

Edit:-The old H366 700x30 folder,now on offer at PlanetX weighs 325grs which IMO isn't too hefty at all :)
Last edited by reohn2 on 27 Oct 2012, 4:48pm, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden