First visitation of the year

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Si

First visitation of the year

Post by Si »

First visitation of the year by you know who today, on the touring bike (the others have had their normal fair share and done fewer miles).

In fact first ever visitation with these M+s...probably about 2.5 years old and used on many terrains.

Nice little microlith in the back, which is surprising as the geology around here doesn't lend itself to such things.

Made two things spring to mind
- just how nice it is with M+s and how much better they make my riding
- even if you don't have a visitation for years it's worth undoing the QRs now and then to make sure that they haven't seized almost solid :oops: :roll:
Ellieb

Re: First visitation of the year

Post by Ellieb »

9 this year...so far :(
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

None this year, or last, or the year before, or before that etc etc.
Si

Post by Si »

Ellieb wrote:9 this year...so far :(

Should have gone to Schwable!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Been a bad year for me, 2 fairly new tyres completly ruined by flint cuts. followed by a conti ultra race which I threw away after 800 miles because it kept puncturing I lost count on that one. Even managed to puncture a swalbe Durano + that was just unlucky a long thin shard of flint
NUKe

Post by fausto copy »

I assume that all these punctures from flints are from riding over broken disposable cigarette lighters I often see in the road.

:mrgreen:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I can't recall whether or not I've been visited this year.

Also worth checking the glue in your fairy repellent kit.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Si

Post by Si »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I can't recall whether or not I've been visited this year.

Also worth checking the glue in your fairy repellent kit.

Especially if from Wilko....no fun to open a brand new tube to find it totally devoid of glue!
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Well, where I live it ain't flints. I've had one puncture this year from a flint. All the rest were glass..usually tiny pieces.
How many this year? At least 10.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

May all cycle-path microliths be instantly transferred to the gall-bladders of the local authorities responsible for maintaining them.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

1 this year, miscrient wasn't present and it only went down overnight. Went through absolutely loads of debris on Saturday on a visit to Beverley including a 10 foot down the back of some allotments that was strewn with allsorts. Gatorskins tend to be my preferred tyre though certainly a 7mm long wafer thin piece of flint went through virtually upright into a new one a few years back, shame I was 20 odd miles away from home and no tube/pump etc. (got a lift off white van man..lol)
ersakus

Post by ersakus »

I used M+ for a year. The biggest problem was the difficulty in removing the tyre. Yes I had a puncture once during inflating to max recommended pressure! It was a tube failure and it was a panic morning as I had to get to work on time. This is when you realise how hard it is to change the tube with M+!

I use paselas now and although I had one P* in the last two years it is very easy to remove and fix a P*. Ride quality is obviously incomparably better on Paselas. It is much lighter as well. The difference is like night and day.

I found, for my type of riding 37mm Panaracer Paselas are the sweet spot.
Quaker Mike

Post by Quaker Mike »

Audax67 wrote:May all cycle-path microliths be instantly transferred to the gall-bladders of the local authorities responsible for maintaining them.

That's why I rarely use cycle-paths. The only visit this year was when I forgot why I didn't, and did, if you see what I mean :roll:
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Had my 11th visitation for the year today. :(
I normally only get 2 or 3 a year but all this rain just washes flints onto the road and into my tyres!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
sbesley

Post by sbesley »

Around 4000 miles cycled so far this year.

2 fails with fairly worn Marathon tyres earlier in the year. A tiny sliver of metal found to be the cause of the second one, probably the first also as it occurred only 2 days prior.

1 with the Gatorskins I replaced them with for the summer. Fully loaded touring on a flinty track, I knew it was only a matter of time!

Now the roads are getting bad again (my commute is mainly rural and now rather muddy minor roads) perhaps it's time to fit some new Marathons.