Mud flaps

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
manonbike

Mud flaps

Post by manonbike »

I guess I'm a bit old fashioned, but does anyone know where I can get mud flaps to fit on the front mudguard of my bike. I've looked on some webb sits but for the life of me I carn't find any. Or any bright do it yourself ideas to make them?
Ambler

Re: Mud flaps

Post by Ambler »

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ambler wrote:I bought this one and find it OK.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sks-long-mudflap-prod25599/

I have the same on the rear of my trike - stops the kids in the trailer getting sprayed.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
QUIST

Post by QUIST »

Cutting plastict to size works well I've even used a plant pot! Works very well - keeps the muck of the chain ( wheels)
Si

Post by Si »

A bit of old tyre can do the job: stiff enough that the wind won't make it flap, but flexible enough that things hitting it won't break it.
maxwellhadley

Post by maxwellhadley »

I used an offcut of the rubber sheet sold for lining garden ponds - it has just the right combination of stiffness and flexibility
Ray

Post by Ray »

Si wrote:A bit of old tyre can do the job: stiff enough that the wind won't make it flap, but flexible enough that things hitting it won't break it.

I reckon that something flexible also creates less 'spatter' when mucky water thrown up from the tyre hits the flap.
I certainly needed my home-made (dpc) flaps yesterday on the gloopy rural roads in the Vale of York. Still got muddy overshoes, though, so I'll be making a longer flap for the front 'guard.

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

Continuing on the DIY theme I use a cut piece of damp course rubber, the sort used by builders to damp proof brickwork.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Sorry - dpc = damp proof course !
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

I bought a piece of bookbinding leather off ebay. I cut 2 pieces to shape and glued them together. Nik Wax is then a good idea.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Russcoles wrote:I bought a piece of bookbinding leather off ebay. I cut 2 pieces to shape and glued them together. Nik Wax is then a good idea.

Blimey, designer mudflaps :D What will be Rapha's response to this attempt to make mudflaps chic?

Ray
Ray
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Check out this advice on yacf.
niggle

Post by niggle »

There are some very nice looking leather ones on SJS, both Brooks and Gilles Berthoud, which I would pay the extra £1 for as quality looks rather better (e.g. the stainless fasteners): http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gilles-berth ... prod27781/ Should be durable and effective I think.

For my winter project touring bike build I am considering SKS Longboards: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=68581

They have mudflaps front and rear and a much deeper front mudguard, possibly the rear is longer as well? Pic from Google Images:

robgul

Post by robgul »

Having seen the Brooks leather mudflaps I set out to make some .... bought an old-style leather music case on ebay and took it to bits, cut a template from a piece of stiff plastic (actually the cover from a notebook) - drew the shapes on the leather (maximising the number I could get) - cut them out with a craft knife, punched 2 holes to suit mudguard and bolted them on (using M5 bolts and aeronuts - or dome nuts with a spring washer)

... they look the part AND being leather they seem to absorb some of the moisture rather than it just bouncing off.

Case cost £4 + £2 postage ... made 15 flaps.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker