Short cuts

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jan19

Short cuts

Post by jan19 »

So what do you do which saves time, but not money?

My pet hate is grating cheese. I just hate doing it. I don't know why. Yes, its silly I know, but I'll happily buy grated cheese, rather than buy a block and grate it myself. Completely unviable economically.

But I'll scoff at those who buy readily prepared vegetables,or pieces of meat they don't need to cut up.

Does anyone else have something they do which doesn't make any sort of monetary sense, but they'll pay for anyway?

Jan
meic

Re: Short cuts

Post by meic »

Buy one of these and you may love grating cheese (but hate washing up).
Yma o Hyd
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Grating cheese :shock: , I always imagine bits of finger mixed in. :?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Isn't cheese paring the way to save money?
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Buy one of these and you may love grating cheese (but hate washing up).

Too much trouble. Easier to buy ready grated cheese.

Jan :D
horizon

Post by horizon »

I'm waiting for the flood of replies from people saying that they don't mess about mending punctures, just put a new inner tube on.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

jan19 wrote:Does anyone else have something they do which doesn't make any sort of monetary sense, but they'll pay for anyway?
Owning a cat? Ours do nothing but eat! What are cats actually for?
Mick F. Cornwall
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

horizon wrote:I'm waiting for the flood of replies from people saying that they don't mess about mending punctures, just put a new inner tube on.

That will be me today but the broken one will join the others and I'll repair 3 together.
Si

Post by Si »

Do you a deal Jan, you send me your cheese to grate and I'll send you my spuds to peel. Why can't those scientists genetically alter a potato to make it self peeling.

Mick F wrote:Owning a cat? Ours do nothing but eat! What are cats actually for?

Entertainment? Company? Keeping the neighbours cat from defecating in your garden?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I pay a gardener to cut the grass for me.

But modernlife is all about Spending money to save time and make things easier justlooking round the kitchen Dishwasher, Electric mixer automatic washing machine, tumble dryer, food processor.

The biggest one of all is probably the car
NUKe

Post by Vorpal »

Mick F wrote: What are cats actually for?

Keeping your feet warm
purring in your ear
waking you up when the alarm doesn't go off
Companionship for reading a book, or just having a lazy afternoon
Leaving dead mice on your pillow

horizon wrote:I'm waiting for the flood of replies from people saying that they don't mess about mending punctures, just put a new inner tube on.

I often do that, but I repair them and carry them as spares. As often as not, when I replace an inner tube, the replacement has a patch or two.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have racked my brains to find something, but cannot think of a single thing! I absolutely hate wasting money on anything at all, it produces unwelcome feelings of guilt. If I have to go in Tesco I absolutely hate it, things are so expensive and its huge and the checkouts are like watching paint dry so you waste money and time. But, I don't mind spending on what a lot of people would consider as very expensive if I really like it. Like grating cheese its a matter of personal choice.

Inner tubes with lots of punctures in are jolly useful...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Si » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:50 am

Do you a deal Jan, you send me your cheese to grate and I'll send you my spuds to peel. Why can't those scientists genetically alter a potato to make it self peeling.

You're on Si. I don't mind peeling spuds at all. Its just cheese.

Jan :D
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Grating cheese is good... Over a well baked (and buttered) potato if cheddar. Or over rocket with oil if parmeggiwhotsit, yum.

Wish our cat was useful in the aforementioned ways. Our's is only good for scratching me, eating very fussily, hosting small bitey things, and kicking up litter after impressing us with her digestive product. No wonder she'd been through several 'hosts' before we fell victim at the shelter. :roll:
531colin

Post by 531colin »

The only type of cheese grater worth having.............http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/oblong-cheese-grater-storage-box-22476-0.html

I found these while working for a local outfit teaching life skills to youngsters with visual impairment and other difficulties....went straight out and bought one for home. The grated cheese drops into the box, if any is left over put the lid on and it goes in the fridge....brilliant!
Otherwise you have to get a cat to clear up the grated cheese all over the floor... :wink: