Christmas at Invercauld nr Braemar Scotland

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
manybikes

Christmas at Invercauld nr Braemar Scotland

Post by manybikes »

I am going to be caravanning with my wife up here over Christmas and the New Year and will be bringing my mountain bike with me. Are there any local groups going to be riding over this period that I can join or does anyone have any suggestions for day routes please. I enjoy bridleways and singletrack but not real headbaging stuff.
Auchmill

Post by Auchmill »

A beautiful area with quiet roads and lots of estate tracks suitable for mountain bikes. Have a look at
http://www.visitdeeside.org.uk/what_to_do/cycling-routes.htm
for some suggestions. The circuit by Braemar, Linn of Dee, Quoich and back to Invercauld is superb, even though it's mainly on road. Another good route, with about 14 miles off-road, is to take the B976 at Crathie over to Braenaloin then turn L and onto estate tracks for about 7.5 miles to just before L. Builg then left along the river before climbing over the shoulder of Culardoch and down to Invercauld. 26 miles in total and 3200 feet of ascent and a maximum height of nearly 2400 feet. It could easily be extended if you wish.

For anyone who hasn't been to Scotland at that time of year the days are very short and there may well be snow on the mountains by Braemar. I hope you enjoy it.
manybikes

Braemar at Christmas

Post by manybikes »

To those that replied, especially Auichmill, many thanks for the advice.
With a late and heavy fall of snow on Jan 2nd I could ride on the virgin snow with no traffic - fantastic!!