Mud flaps

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reohn2

Re: Mud flaps

Post by reohn2 »

niggle wrote:......For my winter project touring bike build I am considering SKS Longboards: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=68581

They have mudflaps front and rear and a much deeper front mudguard, possibly the rear is longer as well? Pic from Google Images:..........

The problem with the Longboards in the photo is that the m/flap is rigid and can break off the bottom of the m/guard at the bottom stay bracket,if the bike is rolled off a curb or the edge of a big pothole.
I much prefere a very flexible front flap made from DPC this flap is usually 60to70mm wide to catch overspill and comes to within 20mm of the road surface,it trails out almost horizontal at speed,less so below say 10mph,though still catches 90% of water/muck thrown up by the front tyre.
For a rear flap I use stiff plastic from an old builders bucket or a plastic A4 file bought cheaply in a stationery shop .
PS, SKS Bluemels are a lot cheaper than Longboads :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

Ray wrote:
Russcoles wrote:I bought a piece of bookbinding leather off ebay. I cut 2 pieces to shape and glued them together. Nik Wax is then a good idea.

Blimey, designer mudflaps :D What will be Rapha's response to this attempt to make mudflaps chic?

Ray

Well I couldn't find a mudflap to match my paintwork
niggle

Post by niggle »

reohn2 wrote:The problem with the Longboards in the photo is that the m/flap is rigid and can break off the bottom of the m/guard at the bottom stay bracket,if the bike is rolled off a curb or the edge of a big pothole.
I much prefere a very flexible front flap made from DPC this flap is usually 60to70mm wide to catch overspill and comes to within 20mm of the road surface,it trails out almost horizontal at speed,less so below say 10mph,though still catches 90% of water/muck thrown up by the front tyre.
For a rear flap I use stiff plastic from an old builders bucket or a plastic A4 file bought cheaply in a stationery shop .
PS, SKS Bluemels are a lot cheaper than Longboads :)

Are they rigid mudflaps? I think have seen more flexible rubber type flaps on the latest SKS guards. Also just fitted some Bontrager 'NCS' mudguards to my Genesis, which have fairly decent flexible mud flaps front and rear. They are slimmer than the ones pictured below and quite attractive in glossy black, apart from the rather odd No Cut Stays (would not have bought them for the marked £35 but got a cheap deal on some that had been returned to a bike shop). Very easy to put on and extremely rigid blades, much quieter than SKS Chromoplastic. Hope they last...

The other option for the touring bike would be the full Gilles Berthould stainless jobs, to which I would obviously have to add the leather flaps, but that's a lot of money...
manonbike

Post by manonbike »

Thanks for all the replies re my mudflap question.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

niggle wrote:There are some very nice looking leather ones on SJS, both Brooks and Gilles Berthoud, which I would pay the extra £1 for as quality looks rather better (e.g. the stainless fasteners): http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gilles-berth ... prod27781/ Should be durable and effective I think.

For my winter project touring bike build I am considering SKS Longboards: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=68581

They have mudflaps front and rear and a much deeper front mudguard, possibly the rear is longer as well? Pic from Google Images:

I was toying with some of the longboards but having see that picture, I'm glad I haven't taken the plunge.
What happens when you get a flat and take the wheel out? I rest the bike on the drop outs when it happens and that's not going to possible with them.
I'll stick to standard SKS and make a flap out of something. Currently testing a piece of rubberised plastic used for lining gutters on industrial units. Not sure it's better than my long standing favourite which is a cut up plastic milk bottle. Shame milk doesn't come in black bottles.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Here in Seattle a flap on the rear fender, err... mudguard, is known as a 'buddy flap' because the one who benefits from it is your buddy behind you. Frankly mr riff raff's rear flap seems a bit short, my experience is that they have to come quite close to the road, say within 3", to be of any use to your buddy.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
niggle

Post by niggle »

Pete Jack wrote:Here in Seattle a flap on the rear fender, err... mudguard, is known as a 'buddy flap' because the one who benefits from it is your buddy behind you. Frankly mr riff raff's rear flap seems a bit short, my experience is that they have to come quite close to the road, say within 3", to be of any use to your buddy.

Seattle seems to the home of 'fender' research: http://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/11/1 ... ny-longer/

In the UK we don't have 'buddies', so its not a problem :wink: Some of us do have mates, but we don't seem as bothered about them :D

The rear mudguard/fender has to be short enough to allow wheel removal, the Longboards are approaching the limit of that, so anything further towards the ground has to be flexible or running straight down to the ground.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Pete Jack wrote:Here in Seattle a flap on the rear fender, err... mudguard, is known as a 'buddy flap' because the one who benefits from it is your buddy behind you. Frankly mr riff raff's rear flap seems a bit short, my experience is that they have to come quite close to the road, say within 3", to be of any use to your buddy.

Hang on, that's not my bike! Saddle's too low. And the frame's not red enough.

But you're right on that "buddy flap" thing you're on about. Must admit I don't use one myself, I extend the front for personal benefit.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I got religion about "buddy flaps" while touring. If you are behind someone brave enough to bash into the weather it's nice to be able to tuck in behind and get some benefit from their draught without getting soaked by the spray from their back wheel. The same goes for them when it's your turn to lead. I managed to nag my mate into getting a decent flap and it made a world of difference. Trouble was he had a tiny flap †hing that came with his Planet Bike mudguards and he wouldn't believe it was useless.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

I passed a cyclist on the way into work today, wearing waterproofs but being absolutely drenched from all directions by the spray coming up from both of his wheels. With a decent set of mudguards and flaps he could would have been drier even without any waterproofs. I'm always surprised by how few bikes have mudguards, presumably because bike design is currently led by the Americans which isn't located at the plug-hole end of the Gulf Stream.
E25
DurableAce

Post by DurableAce »

SKS Longboards are great, but too wide for a conventional road bike's frame clearance at 45mm diameter. Shame, as I'd have them on my winter training bike as well as my commuting bike.

I have these attached to the end of my 35mm SKS chromoplastics on my winter training bike:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=85730
nez

Post by nez »

maxwellhadley wrote:I used an offcut of the rubber sheet sold for lining garden ponds - it has just the right combination of stiffness and flexibility

Ditto. It's perfect. I have enough left over from pond fabrication to see me through several lifetimes.
bother21

Post by bother21 »

I had some leather mudflaps but they were just too heavy and rigid (can't remember which brand they were). Looked great but weighted the mudguard down too much and were inflexible when caught in anything.

I latterly made some from old car tyre inner tube - just went down to local tyre place and asked for old tube. About the right rigidity and just cut template. They were on some mudguards I have since taken off.

Reading here I think what I may do is source some old leather from a bag or even old doc martens and cut some more leather ones.
bother21

Post by bother21 »

Oh yes and totally agree that I too can't understand why cyclists don't use mudguards. People covered in rain and mud on their way to work in special clothes and mud encrusted reflective waterproofs. I simply don't have special cycling clothes, wear what I'm wearing all day, but I DO have mudguards. And they DO look good.
boris

Post by boris »

I cannot understand why anyone would buy a mudflap. It's like paying to have your pencil sharpened.