Could happen to any of us - does it?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PhilWhitehurst

Re: Could happen to any of us - does it?

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Never been hit. Coming up for 12 years of daily commuting around 9 miles each way. Long rides on weekend.
tykeboy2003

Yes but only once so far.

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Easter 2010, motorist pulled out of a side road as I was passing right in front of the car. The driver's side front headlamp hit me on the left hip pushing me sideways. Luckily no traffic coming the other way so I was able to dismount without being run over. I was uninjured but my rear wheel was buckled beyond repair. It was a bright sunny day so no visibility issues (I was heading south east at 5pm so the sun would have been on my right).

A classic inexcusable SMISDY.
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

Just the once in 35 years, and that was just about 35 years ago! Hit by a black taxi which decided to u-turn out of a queue of stationary traffic into my back wheel as I filtered down the outside.
Amy_AskWinns

Post by Amy_AskWinns »

Unfortunately, it seems as though car/ bicycle collisions are becoming more common. One good thing to come from Bradley Wiggins' recent accident is that more focus is being put on improving road safety for cyclists, raising awareness and promoting harmony on the roads.

Have you approached anyone with regards to legal advice? There are legislations in place to help cyclists claim compensation and medical help after an accident, even in the event of a hit and run.

I hope you're back to normal now and have healed well. It certainly sounds as though you did everything you should to be seen!
garybaldy

Post by garybaldy »

Only had two bone breaking accidents in 22 years of cycling. 1st when a child ran out chasing a ball ran into the side of me and I broke my collar bone as I hit the road.

The second time was when I was turning right into a side road and a car exiting from the side road intending to turn right glanced right and left but failed to see me right in front of him. I rolled across his bonnet and broke a rear rib. In that one, my mobile phone fell out of my pocket and was run over by a passing car!
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

I have been cycling as an adult for about 30 years.

spring 1998: On a mini-roundabout a driver pulls on to the roundabout from a standing start just as I am passing the entrance. The car strikes the front of the bike, missing my legs. I end up at the top of the windscreen, then roll off the bonnet on to the ground in front of the now stationary car. The bike ends up about 8m further on. Front wheel mangled and cover torn off the saddle but frame and fork OK. I suffer nothing more than a few bruises and abit of stiffness. The driver used these exact words "He came out of nowhere".

October 1998. Crossroad at the bottom of a dip. I am on the major road. A driver pulls across my path from a standing start just as I am going through the junction. I am halted by his left hand door pillar. Broken pelvis. The bike is a write off.

I have injured myself since, but that was a single vehicle incident.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Hi

Had my first`proper`accident in 45 years at the end of March this year.

Found in the road by a couple of young girls,semi-concious(I can`t remember!)

Broken shoulder blade,collar bone,all RH ribs(Take a look at`Flail chest`),punctured lung,fractures to jaws and eye socket.Other than that,i was fine :lol:

One of the surgeons said he thought i had been hit either by a rampaging Elephant or a truck.We decided on the truck :lol:

Hit and run,Friday night,no witness`s :(
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

Only two contact incidences.

I have been "nudged" from the rear by an impatient driver, and I collided with a car that turned across my path.

No injuries in either case. The second incident buckled my chain and bent my derailleur. Unfortunately my bike hit the protective rubber trimming on his car not the paintwork so no damage to his vehicle.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Hit and run,Friday night,no witness`s

Hope you are making a claim against the Motor Insurance Bureau who have to meet claims where motorists are untraced.

They do their best to avoid them by saying it may not have been a car that caused the injuries but the severity of your injuries (and lack of any local elephants) should force them to compensate you.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Hi.

I thought it was only when the culprit was caught,and they didn`t have insurance.

Thanks,that may be worth following up.

Anyone here had dealings with them?

Cheers
WMarkLancs

Post by WMarkLancs »

I had two roundabout run ins about 5 years ago. One was an insurance salesman, just to make things that little bit worse.

Since then my only falls have involved getting used to clipless pedals. Not so many of them now either.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Hit once in 31 years - aged 15, cycling home from friend's house at night and with lights front and rear, a car wing mirror hit my handlebar and forced me into the ditch on a country road. Unhurt but very shaken. The same year a friend's older brother was killed by a drunk driver as he travelled home from his girlfriend's house at night on his moped.

The other time I had an accident was my fault, I took a bend too quickly in the wet on my road bike and the bike slid from under me depositing me in the road. Torn jacket and tracksuit bottoms and ripped the skin off my knee. Saved from worse damage to my head by my helmet which took then need replacing.

Other than those two events I have had a couple of near misses, the most recent being last Wednesday as I cycled to the railway station in daylight (but raining), a car went to turn right across my path and I locked up both wheels in stopping before I hit the car. Had to change my underpants afterwards and wondered why the driver hadn't seen me as I was wearing hi-viz and had 2 lights on the front of the bike - one permanently, one flashing.
sarahinaberdeen

Post by sarahinaberdeen »

Mine, June 2010, is almost identical to eileithyia's second. Car turned right across me after appearing to slow.

Differences being the road is north-south (but no sun issues in summer) and that I t-boned the car, headbutted the window, bounced off and landed elbow points first on my backside. Elbows still hurt.

Car was fine. My forks were wrecked.
martinohr

Post by martinohr »

Near misses everyday cycling down chapeltown road, mostly stopped traffic allowing cars to turn right across the bus/cycle lane.

most recent, car pulling out from a t-junction, driver looked right through me to judge he could just get out before the cars behind me arrived; it was all very predictable so I managed to swerve, unfortunately his wing mirror caught me and swept me off my bike and dump me in the opposing lane right in front of a bus. The driver was the only person who didn't see what was coming so fortunately the bus was already stopping and avoided hit me. I was lit up lit an xmas tree and the driver looked right into my eyes before he pulled out, but just didn't register my presence

previously I hit the the back of a car parked across a cycle path around a blind city centre corner, no damage to either myself, my bike or the car, but the motorist followed me, rammed me off the road and assaulted me in front of witnesses who called the police; police declined to take any further action due to lack of evidence!

fallen off a few times due to taking evading action, including avoiding hitting a pedestrian on mobile phone who stepped out right in front of me as hurtled downhill at 45km/h. I'm pretty convinced she would have sustained serious injury had I hit her, but she didn't quite see it that way as a got up and dusted off my cuts and grazes.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Hope you are making a claim against the Motor Insurance Bureau who have to meet claims where motorists are untraced.

They do their best to avoid them by saying it may not have been a car that caused the injuries but the severity of your injuries (and lack of any local elephants) should force them to compensate you.

I thought it was only when the culprit was caught,and they didn`t have insurance.

There are 2 categories dealt with by the MIB. One is where the driver is known but has no insurance, the other is where there is no knowledge of the offending vehicle and this is the one that gives them wriggle room.