cycle security/locks when camping?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
[XAP]Bob

Re: cycle security/locks when camping?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

There are dog lead stakes - which screw into (softish) ground and have a D-ring at the top. A pair of those, with a D lock should prove hard to dislodge...

IIRC you'd need to weld them shut though, they tend to be "open rings"
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MrLeadfoot

Post by MrLeadfoot »

andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Finally someone's come up with a titanium bike lock. At 535gms they are reasonably light but I honestly don't know how secure they are:

http://tigrlock.com/
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If I am away from the road, I always camp late just before it gets dark, out of sight from road users, also far enough away from road so there no chance of beeing seen.
Then I remove all loose items (removed without tools) And the black bin liner which wraps my foam bed mat, I use to put my front wheel in :!:
This goes between the flysheet and tent next to door.
How far will they carry that?

Outside shops I leave in view from inside shop, even if its on the other side of road in open space.
In supermarkets I lock to railing etc in full view, with a cheap lightweight cable lock with a decent key, stowed aroung frame behind seat.
To cut a cable say five or six mm you would need substancial cutters?

I cant comment outside UK.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Whatever you use, use an alarmed lock too. They make one heck of a racket if they are so much as touched!
http://www.kabrus.co.uk/
Sure to wake you up from your slumbers in your tent.

I use mine when I leave my bike when I go shopping. You have to be careful when you undo the lock on return as it's rather embarrassing when it goes off as you fumble. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The other item I use is a "Pacsafe"

Although designed for rucksacks, the largest can be placed on the floor and the bike rolled back on it Then enclose the rear of the bicycle and panniers cinching in to the bottom bracket / carrier stays.

Easily secures your panniers from opportunistic theft
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:To cut a cable say five or six mm you would need substancial cutters?

With a substantial cutter, it's quicker to cut the cable than to use the key. With a small (6") pair of pliers, it will take 5 minutes or so.
Anyone looking to steal a bike will have substantial cutters, so lightweight cables are only good against those who are basically dishonest and will take any opportunity they happen to see but aren't actively looking for a bike. To avoid people looking for bikes, the trick is to avoid leaving your bike somewhere where there will frequently be good bikes parked.
NATURAL ANKLING

andrew_s wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:To cut a cable say five or six mm you would need substancial cutters?

With a substantial cutter, it's quicker to cut the cable than to use the key. With a small (6") pair of pliers, it will take 5 minutes or so.
Anyone looking to steal a bike will have substantial cutters, so lightweight cables are only good against those who are basically dishonest and will take any opportunity they happen to see but aren't actively looking for a bike. To avoid people looking for bikes, the trick is to avoid leaving your bike somewhere where there will frequently be good bikes parked.

Hi, I agree.
Like I said you need a substancial pair of cutters.
I had a cycle pinched outside of my doctors, when I went inside, those were the days when everyone did not lock their front doors :(
Motorcycle pinched, I had not secured it with chain, was on private property. :(
My bikes although 15 , 15 & 30 years old do not look it, but I always watch like a hawk.
If you have state of art cycle (fashionable) they you probably never leave it where it could be nicked.
I will admit locking it up for me is simply to discourage opportunistic underage cheap cider gulping SCUM :evil:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You try cutting the cable and not setting off the alarm. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Mick F wrote:Whatever you use, use an alarmed lock too. They make one heck of a racket if they are so much as touched!
http://www.kabrus.co.uk/
Sure to wake you up from your slumbers in your tent.

I use mine when I leave my bike when I go shopping. You have to be careful when you undo the lock on return as it's rather embarrassing when it goes off as you fumble. :oops:

Good link.
May I ask which one you use?
Thanx
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This one:
http://www.kabrus.co.uk/xl202.html

The clamp is designed to fit on the frame. The shackle is inserted at rightangles for stowage - no alarm.
To park and lock, the shackle is reinerted through the wheel - alarmed.

I made a youtube video when I first got it.
Please watch, and you'll eventually see when I got it right.
Normally, I only use mine when I take the trailer, so I just have it in the trailer box. Outside a shop, I'll feed it through a wheel and use a long wire cable to secure the whole lot. Even touching the lock or cable will set off the alarm, let alone trying to move the bike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgR09Bj_SX8
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Just thought that my Youtube vid doesn't actually show my final positioning. The link to the Kabrus site shows an MTB with the lock on the seat tube - that picture wasn't there when I bought mine, so I had to work it out for myself. The instructions are only for the lock, not it's use or mode of deployment.

Here's two pictures.
First one is the lock on the down tube with the shackle at rightangles in its stowed position.
Second is of the lock deployed.

I like it on the down tube rather than the seat tube because it's out of the way of my knees and legs.
Kabrus1.jpg
Kabrus2.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Following Mick's recommendation I used one of these to secure my Roberts while camping in France. It does provide the peace of mind that the slightest noise you can hear outside your tent is not being made by someone trying to steal your bike. My main concern was that it would go off accidentally and wake the whole campsite! (It didn't).
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Binkyboy

Post by Binkyboy »

Don't forget that you can take the front wheel out and stand it next to the back wheel and use your lock of whatever type you use, to lock frame, front and rear wheel together with just a short lock.

Perhaps just a length of black string attached to the bike and your sleeping bag? Thief moves bike and probably doesn't see the black string, which tugs you awake? This, together with taking the front wheel inside the tent should help?

If I have ever had to leave my bike unlocked and unattended for a few minutes, I have removed the front Q/R lock nut and pulled the front wheel just out of the fork ends. Thief tries to wheel or ride the bike away and the wheel falls out or jams, but he can't put it back in because he doesn't have the nut.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
A bit of thin nylon cord is a good idea tied to your front wheel in tent :wink:
If I nip into shop and dont lock then I have in the past removed front QR completely, nut only would stop your hands getting too dirty.