Who stocks Ambrosio rims?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Steve

Who stocks Ambrosio rims?

Post by Steve »

Many folk recommend these rims but there seems very little opportunity to buy them on-line as I've just about exhausted Google in looking for them. Does anyone know a secret seller?
BertYardbrush

Re: Who stocks Ambrosio rims?

Post by BertYardbrush »

My local bike shop Dave Baillie in Dronfield built me a nice pair of Ambosios a year ago. Google Vernon Barker to contact Dave. He doesn't do internet. Not much use if you don't live around here but sometimes the best things are just round the corner.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

When asked for "ambrosio rim" google immediately showed -
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/cyclese ... io&x=0&y=0 and several wheel builders offering Ambrosio.
SJS keep this one http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ambrosio-exc ... -700c-(622)-rim-prod29195/
Steve

Post by Steve »

tatanab wrote:When asked for "ambrosio rim" google immediately showed -
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/cyclese ... io&x=0&y=0 and several wheel builders offering Ambrosio.
SJS keep this one http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ambrosio-exc ... -700c-(622)-rim-prod29195/

Yes I can use Google!

Unfortunately, Planet x appear to be out of stock of Ambrosio rims, SJS only have the one type......
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Steve wrote:Yes I can use Google!

Not suggesting you cannot, but sometimes people make a typo or have too wide a search and so find nothing.

As I said, there are several wheel builders turned up by that search such as http://www.justridingalong.com/catalogs ... q=ambrosio who have some stock.

Which ones in particular do you want? Some years ago I tried Ambrosio Excellence and thought it was an ok rim, finish could have been better, especially since they are certainly not cheap. If you are happy buying from overseas then Bike24 in Germany are stockist and I've used them many times for parts with no problems. http://www.bike24.com/1.php?ID=5b8ebe1d ... =3&mid=383
jayd

Post by jayd »

Maybe try Harry Rowland wheel builder?
Well I know he does Ambrosio Excellence wheel sets anyway!
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

Harry Rowland.co.uk will find him. He is in Ramsgate and was handy for me in Kent. He built me a lovely pair of retro 28 spoke wheels with Ambrosio Excellight rims. The LBS say these rims are not the best, compared to Mavic Open Pro, but they seem ok to me.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Hmm. I also wouldn't dream of suggesting that you can't use Google, but a quick google came up with:

http://www.ambrosio.co.uk/

the site of their UK distributor

Riva Sports Industries Limited
69 Manor Park Road
London
NW10 4JX

Tel: 020 8965 2510

doesn't look like they sell direct but presumably they can tell you who stocks them/sells them.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for all the tips. I'm a bit surprised that none of the usual online bike shop names stock them so will probably just make do with a more accessible brand!
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

I'm not sure about the rims but we have plenty of their rice pudding down here in Devon :wink:

Smudge
"It never gets easier ~ You just go faster"
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Smudge wrote:I'm not sure about the rims but we have plenty of their rice pudding down here in Devon :wink:

Smudge

.....the full cream, or the low fat?..........
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

andymiller wrote:...
Riva Sports Industries Limited
69 Manor Park Road
London
NW10 4JX

Tel: 020 8965 2510

doesn't look like they sell direct but presumably they can tell you who stocks them/sells them.

I worked at RSI for seven years and can confirm they are are the UK distributor-wholesaler as well as agent, the latter means that they are available through other UK distributor-wholesalers, older traditional retailers especially may use their 'local' wholesalers who they use on a regular basis in preference to a 'national' one, RSI are one of the few who still operate like this; most distributors prefer to keep their brands exclusive. If you contact RSI and tell them your preferred retailer-wheelbuilder, they will firstly tell if they also supply them as RSI themselves or alternatively they will know if that area is also covered by a more local wholesaler that may also supply who you have mentioned of course. I worked there between 1987-1995 so I'm not upto speed as to who the other wholesalers are these days, but if your normal supplier doesn't use RSI we bought a pair of Ambrosio Excellence Clincher Rims only last week from one of regular suppliers who your first choice retailer-wheel builder may also use (Harry Rowland who Jayd mentioned also bought them back then and I believe still does, I'm sure he would supply just rims if you wanted):

J D Whisker Ltd - Cycle Manufacturers And Wholesalers
Unit 4
Bridge Gate Centre
Martinfield
Welwyn Garden City
Hertfordshire
AL7 1JG
01438 798 772

Ambrosio Excellence Clincher Rims still are one of my favourite rims, times have changed and I may not build as many as I once did, but by way of comparison at the end of last week I built a pair of Mavic Open pro onto an older used pair of Campagnolo Chorus hubs and a pair of Ambrosio Excellence onto a new pair of Shimano Ultegra hubs, both built as fine as expected, the quality interms of the rims seems as good as always, slightly off topic as this thread is about rims but I had a close comparison of older versus modern 130mm cassette hub, the more modern hub had less rear wheel dishing which was I have to say impressive.The two comparable rim models remntioned are each brands version of the same type of rim within their ranges, they have been around virtually unchanged for quite a few years, the joins are the main thing that have improved, I've owned bikes with both, in reality I can't tell much difference on the bike, the Excellence has a small weight to balance which is a nice touch, I did notice the effect that had when rims were pinned as the joints were far heavier back then meaning the wheel was less balanced of course; less noticeable now that they weld the joins though. So what would I chose now? If I'm honest I would still use either as the quality, desirability and riding experience are so close as to make little difference, so if it was an urgent rebuild I would go with what I could get the quickest (Mavic as well as dealing direct use Madison, who nearly all retailers will use), dial the urgency out then it is a close call, as I'm typing right here right now and it's Christmas then with a fond memory of my friends who still work at RSI then for me that would edge the Excellence over the Open Pro, it's as close as something as silly as that being the only reason to chose one over the other :lol:.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Paul Smith SRCC wrote: , but by way of comparison at the end of last week I built a pair of Mavic Open pro onto an older used pair of Campagnolo Chorus hubs and a pair of Ambrosio Excellence onto a new pair of Shimano Ultegra hubs, both built as fine as expected, the quality interms of the rims seems as good as always, slightly off topic as this thread is about rims but I had a close comparison of older versus modern 130mm cassette hub, the more modern hub had less rear wheel dishing which was I have to say impressive.

The dish with Shimano hubs has been less than with 'comparable' campagnolo hubs for some years. Furthermore it is (unlike campagnolo) easily adjustable on shimano hubs, so that frames with good clearance can have less dished wheels built for them if necessary.

Aftermarket hubs which are available with either shimano or campag cassette bodies also very often have more dish in the campag version.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
davefife

Post by davefife »

what an excellent (excellence!) post from Paul Smith :D cheers for that. Always like tales from the trade stuff. I also build wheels for a living and mavic v's ambrosio is evens stevens for me as well. I always see to end up playing the Italian heritage though for customers decision making! RSI still give good service and a good set of people to deal with.
Dave