Your touring plans for 2019 - make me jealous?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
al_yrpal

Your touring plans for 2019 - make me jealous?

Post by al_yrpal »

Having come to this pastime late in life I am very jealous of the tours that some of you are able to do. Next year I am planning to do a couple of jaunts in the UK. A grand tour of the South of England taking in the Cotswolds, Dorset, Isle of Wight and Hampshire with three blokes whose company I really like. I am scanning the Good Pub Guide for selected hostelries to stay at with a particular eye on the ales. Not very exciting, but should be really good fun with lots of scenic possibilites and interesting places to visit and enjoy. Then I have it in mind to do the East Anglian painters trail with my watercolours and a small tent.

But........ I guess you guys have got something much more adventurous in mind, come on make me jealous....?

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 8 Feb 2019, 11:23am, edited 2 times in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jezer

Re: Your plans for 2013 - make me jealous?

Post by jezer »

Sounds good to me. I have nothing planned for 2013 so far, although by now I have usually booked at least two CTC tours. A bit lethargic, what with the weather and all, but come the New Year I'm sure something will develop :D
Power to the pedals
robgul

Post by robgul »

12 of us going to the Loire Valley for 10 days in June - cycling, chateaux (max 1 per day), good food and wine - finishing by riding into Paris and back to London on the Eurostar.

... if it's half as good as our trip to France and Belgium in 2012 it'll be really good :)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

On my 60th birthday in June 2003 I made a plan to cycle 100,000 miles in the next 10 years. Having done 95,818 of them as of today, my next years plans are geared to completing the target with a 70 mile ride on my 70th birthday. The rest of the year will include:
3 week cycle camping tour in France in May.
3 week Coast to Coast of France in September
Either Scotland or Switzerland in July for 3 weeks.
Plus other cycle camping trips in UK.
Last edited by bikepacker on 3 Mar 2013, 9:07am, edited 2 times in total.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
elduderino12

Post by elduderino12 »

I might pinch that cycling 100,000 miles idea off you bikepacker - I'm only 28 though!!

Flights booked, time off secured. A 6 week jolly around Iceland with no agenda starting May 5th :D
jezer

Post by jezer »

You have enthused me to get off my ass and plan something epic :wink:
Power to the pedals
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Mmm...this will be an interesting thread to make a lot of people jealous, me included, for the tours we haven't got the time or the money for.

I'm not sure which one I will do first as I have to forego my usual weak/10-day tour in March, so I will do my first tour in April and probably the west coast of Scotland from Fort William to Tongue and back taking in Skye and the Bealach na Ba pass, which I missed in September due to weather delays, and as many of the coast roads as possible.

A home to St David's to Lowestoft to home triangle.

Hopefully one more Scottish tour featuring either the Orkneys, the Shetlands or both.

And as many weekends camping-touring as will be practicable!
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Al, don't forget to tie the ale hunt in to the Painter's trail too! Some great pints to be had in that area- I actually think the beer around there is better than up where I live now, even if I am glad to have moved north.

So far for us is just my trans-Espana idea. And a possibility of another C2C, but not sure which one yet.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Think Adnams in East Angula! Too much of that and it will give me the wrong impressionist..

Some inspiring posts here

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

A week in Tautavel in late April. Our local Audax series (200-600) to take me up to early July, then a diagonale Brest-Strasbourg in August, the first half of which following the PBP route.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
tonythompson

Post by tonythompson »

Washington DC to Pittsburgh using the C&O Canal and GAP trail over 300 miles of trail without any traffic. My idea of heaven. Haven't decided after Pittsburgh. Several options open.

This a great time of the year to dream and plan. Wear out Google Earth either planning the next or going over previous trips.
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

18 days in August across central Switzerland with the tent, 6 2000m+ passes and a few lower examples with sidetrips up Pilatus and the Jungfrau.

Thats my lot as i have to earn a crust too and you lot aren't spending enough! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
shane

Post by shane »

jan 1st I'll wake up in my tent somewhere on Hadrians wall (hiking). Good start to the year me thinks :)

In three weeks heading to Lapland for 3 weeks cycling/camping.

After that hopefully the whole summer commuting to work (just need to get a job).

All being well and I earn enough freedom credits this summer I'll head off for a a couple of short tours next winter (Cananda?, NZ?, Europe?) or one 4-6 monther.

Enough to keep me busy :D
binsted

Post by binsted »

bikepacker wrote:On my 60th birthday in June 2003 I made a plan to cycle 100,000 miles in the next 10 years. Having done 95,818 of them as of today, my next years plans are geared to completing the target with a 70 mile ride on my 70th birthday. The rest of the year will include:
3 week cycle camping tour in France in May.
3 week Coast to Coast of France in September
Either Scotland or Switzerland in July for 3 weeks.
Plus other cycle camping trips in UK.

That is brilliant, respect to you sir........
irc

Post by irc »

tonythompson wrote:Washington DC to Pittsburgh using the C&O Canal and GAP trail over 300 miles of trail without any traffic. My idea of heaven. Haven't decided after Pittsburgh. Several options open.

Loved the C@O and GAP last year. Going west from Pitsburgh I used the Lincoln Highway - old Route 30. Well worth riding.

Next year I'm heading for San Diego in mid March for 8 weeks riding to Florida.