march lejog cycling partners

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
coll659

Re: march lejog cycling partners

Post by coll659 »

hi Duke. I never relised that travel lodges were so cheap. If so I will most probably use a couple on the way up
Lu roll

Post by Lu roll »

Hi Colin,

I was also hoping to do the end-to-end in March so might be able to ride the whole way with you if you'd still like a partner for the whole journey?! Only thing is I don't think I could get quite that much time off work. I was thinking of aiming for 14 days of cycling so covering a few more miles per day than you suggested. I could probably get enough time off work to have 17 days including return travel but was thinking I'd start the ride on a Saturday or Sunday to maximise availavle ride time (if doing JOGLE I'd need a day to travel up but if doing LEJOG it wouldn't take me long to get to the start). I actually live in Devon so I had thought I'd do JOGLE so I'd end up near home but I am open to the idea of LEJOG, at least it'd be nice and easy to get to the start, I could possible even get there on the Friday after work (although I don't know where you live or if you could). I appreciate you have clearly planned a lot already so I wouldn't want to disrupt your plans but just thought I'd get in touch in case you are interested and might consider a slight re-think if you fancied riding together :) If you think you might be interested let me know and maybe we could chat over the phone.

Thanks,
Lucy :D
coll659

Post by coll659 »

Hi there Lucy.

Yeh im still inerested in a partner. I could probably manage 14 days (my plans arnt set in stone) I live in the north of scotland near inverness and have a hire car booked for the travel down. if you send me a private message with your phone number i'll give you a call and we'll chat.

Colin
Duke3376

Post by Duke3376 »

Coll,

There is a sale on at the minute with Travelodges, have a look for some dates to get the feel of the prices.

Duke
coll659

Post by coll659 »

cheers duke will check it out
Lu roll back

Post by Lu roll back »

Update:

Hi everyone, I don’t know if any of the original people to reply to Colin’s initial post are still active on this forum but I thought I’d post a much-overdue update... Back in January 2013, following this forum discussion, Colin and I spoke on the phone and then exchanged a couple of emails to arrange riding LEJOG together. We met on Thurs 7th March 2013 and Colin stayed a night in the shared house I was living in at the time. We then travelled down to Lands End, spent a night at Lands End Youth Hostel and set off on Sat 9th March.

The weather looked promising day 1 but rapidly degenerated to freezing with bitter wind and snow showers (in Devon and beyond). We wimped out of camping every night and had various mechanical, route and health glitches, culminating in me coming down with flu around day 5. We pushed on to Croston, near Preston (about half way) and had to call it a day. I already had a train booked back from Inverness for a week later so we chucked everything in a hire car and drove up there (cheats I know)... to spend a lovely week in snowy Scotland but the story doesn’t end there...

We couldn’t give up on our E2E dream so that August we attempted it again but in the other direction (just made sense logistically with where I live), and we completed JOGLE in 12 days of self-supported cycling, camping all but one night.

Since then we have toured in France and Ireland and in April this year we will be getting married! We will then set off on our cycle touring honeymoon, joined by our dog Tilly, for hopefully a couple of years around Europe and possibly beyond :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Thanks Lu for the update and lovely to read of such a happy end to the story.

Hey Oldman I see you’ve been planning ours for a long time :D

oldmanonabike wrote:Hi Colin
Whats your route and timetable?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
fossala

Post by fossala »

I hope you have a lovely wedding.
sbcoombs

march lejog cycling partners

Post by sbcoombs »

What a lovely story. Have a great wedding.
Last edited by sbcoombs on 27 Jan 2018, 10:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

Aw, congratulations!
NEvans

Post by NEvans »

Duke3376 wrote:There is a sale on at the minute with Travelodges, have a look for some dates to get the feel of the prices.

I think being in March a lot of sites will be shut, and likely you will be getting cold and wet, so odd nights in places like these to get dried out and clothes cleaned and dry would definitely be worth to add to the equation. Same as YHAs.
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
So blame Newton not me when you're bored waiting at the top of the hill.