Have you cycled up Bealach-na-ba?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Bealach na Ba - Applecross

Post by Mick F »

Climbing the Tourmalet looks wonderful! Not that steep, just a bit long. Take your time, and enjoy the view.

Do we have a UK hill to compare? I'm doing "The Pass of the Cattle" next year.

{Split from the Pyrenean Crossing topic }
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

The Bealach only goes to 2053ft Mick. :( The view's bloody marvellous though! :D - Good pub in Applecross when you've whizzed down t'other side. :wink:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wonder if that pub in Applecross does accommodation?

I was thinking of staying overnight at Lochcarron, doing the Pass without luggage, doing round the top, past Loch Torridon and back to Lochcarron.

However, I MAY consider doing the Pass fully loaded. More of a challenge, eh?
Mick F. Cornwall
Graham

Post by Graham »

Mick F wrote:I wonder if that pub in Applecross does accommodation?

There is plenty of accomodation on the western side of the peninsula.
I quite fancy staying in one of the wooden "wigwams" on the campsite at Applecross.
http://www.wigwamholidays.com/Applecross_Wigwams

Mick F wrote:I was thinking of staying overnight at Lochcarron, doing the Pass without luggage, doing round the top, past Loch Torridon and back to Lochcarron.

Yep, that's a good one. The Lochcarron - Applecross penninsula - directly back to Lochcarron makes a for good few hours of energetic cycling.
Beware of the northern coast of the Applecross peninsula. It is one tough S.o.a.B. Relentless ( and seemingly endless ) sharp climbs and drops with little level ground.

If you want to go really beserk you could try the BIG loop.
http://strathpuffer.co.uk/Bealach-na-Ba/Event_route.htm

. . . which is the route of the the new cyclosportif event . . 90 miles of . . er, fun?
http://strathpuffer.co.uk/Bealach-na-Ba/event_BNB.htm
Accounts of the survivors . . . .
http://strathpuffer.co.uk/Bealach-na-Ba ... s_pics.htm

Or you can do a slight variation by cutting cross-country between Glen Torridon & Glen Carron using the Coulin Pass between Loch Clair & Achashellach.
Too rough to ride one of your lightweight steeds though. It makes a nice walk just pushing the bike. No good for a trailer.

Mick F wrote:However, I MAY consider doing the Pass fully loaded. More of a challenge, eh?

Yep, entirely possible with a low enough gears. You might make it up without walking.
It was the descents ( in both directions ) that frightened me !!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks Graham!

Good info, I'll read at leisure later ...

"I must get out all my maps and get planning." Write this out 100 times!
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

The coast road is a bit of a pig. Proper roller coaster in fact. The Applecross Inn has a website IIRC. Try a Google.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Did Bealach na Ba a few years ago into a gale. Hardest climb I've ever done (because of wind maybe). I've done Tourmalet and all those. Applecross Inn was super. Coast road very lumpy.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Mmmm.. sitting in the sun in the beer garden of the Applecross Inn with a plate of scallops for lunch. Wonderful!

And at least you will have been forewarned about the coast road - I wasn't expecing it!
nobby

Post by nobby »

I did the Pass of the Cattle 18 years ago in a '73 VW camper with the wife, four kids, a large dog and a trailer. It was hell, but halfway up we crammed in a knackered German fraulein and her bike.
She was a big, strapping girl - think Tamara Press for those old enough to remember - and I was much gratified to find that she was a PE teacher. It cured me of a long standing hatred of PE teachers to discover that a wet Pass of the Cattle renders them mortal. Nowadays, many years on, I just dislike them :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I drove it with the family + two dogs in the early 80s. We rented a cottage for a week near Kyle of Lochalsh and did a bit of touring. A wonderful drive over the Pass and down to Applecross. I remember us and the kids and dogs paddling in the sea, it was warm and clear and shallow - we went out for miles!

We drove on north, then around the shore of Loch Torridon.

I WILL Cycle it!
Mick F. Cornwall
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

A few years ago I rode the pass from Lochcarron doing the round trip in a day - using a Brompton 5 speed. Should be quite easily managed with a multi-geared bike!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good on yer!

I've (only) got 27sp, but I'll have 30 soon. I should fly over!
Mick F. Cornwall
treejamie

Post by treejamie »

I did Belach Na Ba in the clouds with the rain and a howling gale. not a nice experience. oh and i saw nothing at the top.

here is my picture of my bike.

jamie
PW

Post by PW »

I remember that pillar, the plate on top includes an arrow to McLeod's Tables on Skye, distance quoted as 27 miles..and yes they are visible on a good day!
Ron

Post by Ron »

treejamie wrote: oh and i saw nothing at the top.

You always know it's not too bad a day when you don't have to lash your bike to the cairn. :wink: :D