What type of folding bike.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
wrangler_rover

What type of folding bike.

Post by wrangler_rover »

What type of bike, advice needed please.
I currently commute 6 miles each way to work for 10 months of the year because I enjoy it and for health reasons. I am about to change jobs to a position where I will be travelling all over the country in a car and staying in hotels. I currently have a hybrid, mountain bikes and a racer. I am considering buying a folding bike to put in the car boot to ride a few miles in the evenings when the nights are lighter to keep fit, get some fresh air & get me out of the hotel room. I am looking at a folder because I will also have to carry a passengers occasionally so the bike has to be foldable into the boot.
I know that Bromptons seem to be the best folders but does anybody else have any other recommendations?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Pretty much either a Brompton or Birdy. Birdy will ride better than a Brompton but Brompton wins hands down for foldability. Brompton is the best all rounder.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

If it's to provide a near-normal ride and fit in a car boot, you could look at an Airnimal

Bromptons are designed for a quick and compact fold for taking on buses and trains, and aren't ideal for leisure/fun rides.
PW

Post by PW »

Ride all three then make your mind up. A range of Bromptons are currently being advertised by our old friends at Spa.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Can highly recommend the Xootr Swift. Folds in seconds to fit in a car boot (not as compact as a Brompton) and rides like a normal road bike. It has 20" wheels and 8 SRAM gears - get one from Folding Bikes for £500. My Xootr has made my other bikes redundant.
Velo

Post by Velo »

Assuming you have the boot space, I'd second the Swift.
pigman

Post by pigman »

i'm interested in this thread, cos I might be in the market for a folder. Is there anything a bit cheaper than the £500+ that all manufacturers seem to be quoting? Why? - I'm skint, tight and it will only get occassional use. Then there's a problem knowing what's what. The numerous brompton or dahon models is a minefield and to the layman they all look the same. I'm looking for something that folds fairly small to pack into the car along with the kids' bikes, 5 speeds maximum.
JC4LAB

Post by JC4LAB »

I find DIY repairs on a Brompton if you break down are fiddly..Punctures are a bit of a Bugg...r when it comes to getting the tyre off.Also theres a knack to putting back the back wheel cos of the Chain tensioner.But it is a beauty and gets a lot of attention.. Something maybe with puncture resistant chunkier wheels or a draillieur system may be easier to fix DIY until you master the ins and outs of reparing your brommie..
moultoneer

Post by moultoneer »

Most Moultons/Pashley Moultons are separable, as opposed to foldable. it only takes a minute or two. Advantage is that the bikes aren't compromised for folding.
essexman

Post by essexman »

Dont buy a brompton or birdy for this! They are great commuters, ive owned both. You want a fun bike to ride in evenings across varied terrain that fits in the boot.

I would recomend a swift for fun and budget or a chameleon (Airnimal) for performance. Given that you own a racer, an mtb and a hybrid, i think you will like a chameleon and maybe able to use it replace one or two of your other bikes.
I hate snow.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Do you know if there is anyone in the UK that imports the Swift?
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
cpedw

Post by cpedw »

Pigman,
I have had a Dahon Boardwalk for abot 3 years. It cost about £250 new. It's pretty easy to fold, though not all that small; it fits into most car boots, but is a squeeze in some. The ride is reasonable but definitely not the same as a full size fixed bike.
I find it very useful for a number of applications but it can't replace my regular commuter.
Derek
Velo

Post by Velo »

bikepacker wrote:Do you know if there is anyone in the UK that imports the Swift?

Avon Valley Cyclery, Bath.
stevew

Post by stevew »

My job is similar and a Brompton has served me well.
essexman

Post by essexman »

I just got my A2b magazine in the post. Pretty favourable review of the new MK1 Bike friday tikit. It implies a pretty good ride with record breaking folding speed. Cons were old brompton style flexi handlebar post, large folded size, durability question mark, NO LUGGAGE!. Overall though it looks like it has some ground breaking and innovative new features, which will inspire the next gen of folding bikes.

Still reckon for boot of the car leisure riding you want a chameleon.

Go to AVC to get any folding bike as they have them all in stock.
I hate snow.