The Black Team Sky Jersey was designed by Stupid McStupid

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Gearoidmuar

The Black Team Sky Jersey was designed by Stupid McStupid

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've heard cyclists say this but I've not seen much about it here.

What were they thinking?

Are they going for invisiblity technology next?
gaz

Re: The Black Team Sky Jersey was designed by Stupid McStupi

Post by gaz »

Your post appears to be typed in invisible black. Please re-type in hiviz so we can all read it.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
tonythompson

Post by tonythompson »

They are apparently designed by Rapha - you'd think he had enough to do managing Chelsea. Maybe why they aren't doing so well - OK slightly better than the jersey's but still not very good. :?
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Perfectly fine for pro cycling on closed roads.
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Fortunately, because they are made by Rapha it seriously restricts the number of young impressionable cyclists seeking to emulate their heroes by wearing the same kit. How much :shock:

In a more serious mode, black can actually be quite visible.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

hexhome wrote:Fortunately, because they are made by Rapha it seriously restricts the number of young impressionable cyclists seeking to emulate their heroes by wearing the same kit. How much :shock:

In a more serious mode, black can actually be quite visible.

It can, but it's very far from being the most visible. It's terrible against a dark background and worse than hopeless when it's getting dark. It's actually dangerous.

Were I the mininster of transport or whatever he's called in Britain (the Chancellor of the Haemorrhoid or something), I'd ban 'em.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Were I the mininster of transport or whatever he's called in Britain (the Chancellor of the Haemorrhoid or something), I'd ban 'em.

There will be alot of people sleeping comfortably tonight, safe in the knowledge that you are not the Transport Minister and have no control over the Style Police. :D

PS Good rant though :wink:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if they were clever blighters (which they are probably not), they would incorporate reflexite beading into the seams of the versions for the public/training. I have a few items with this beading in it, and it can be very unobtruisive. In several cases I didn't realise it was there for a long time.

However at night, it is immediately obvious when illuminated; it wouldn't matter in the slightest what colour the garment is if it has this stuff in it, it'll show up nicely.

I guess that still leaves a potential issue at twilight, but TBH you can be lit up like a christmas tree at this time and still be smidsy'd.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

hexhome wrote:In a more serious mode, black can actually be quite visible.

Judging from the number of unlit cyclists in black that motorists seem to spot, black is clearly the most visible while fluorescent orange with lots of reflectives and retina burning lights only gets SMIDSYs :wink:
pw1brown

Post by pw1brown »

gaz wrote
Your post appears to be typed in invisible black. Please re-type in hiviz so we can all read it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bikes: Giant SCR 2 light tourer - Revolution Courier 27 commuter.
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

Quite, at its best when matched with an inch or two of snow on the roads.... :lol:
RickH

Post by RickH »

TonyR wrote:

Judging from the number of unlit cyclists in black that motorists seem to spot, black is clearly the most visible while fluorescent orange with lots of reflectives and retina burning lights only gets SMIDSYs :wink:

I must admit I tend to refer to my hi-viz yellow waterproof as my cloak of invisibility! :D

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I was SMIDSY'd a few months ago, in bright yellow Hi-viz and with lights blazing forth.... :(
But I'll still wear it. Those who can't see, won't see, can't be a***ed to see, will fail to see whatever colour you're got up as. What I like to consider is, what about when I'm the motorist? What garb helps me to spot the cyclist earliest?

But black isn't so bad if it has flashes of bright colour in it.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

661-Pete wrote:I was SMIDSY'd a few months ago, in bright yellow Hi-viz and with lights blazing forth.... :(
But I'll still wear it. Those who can't see, won't see, can't be a***ed to see, will fail to see whatever colour you're got up as. What I like to consider is, what about when I'm the motorist? What garb helps me to spot the cyclist earliest?

But black isn't so bad if it has flashes of bright colour in it.

But in the distance, multicoloured jerseys tend to blend into the background. I've made it my business down the years while cycling to note how visible or otherewise clothes are.
Garish pink or orange are the best.
White isn't great. Multicoloured with green is camouflage.
Black is bad.
I wear a single bright colour or any colour with a really bright Sam Brown Belt. Best one has a brand name Oxford.
I know a cyclist who was Smidsied three times in a year, now unfortunately a bit brain damaged. Always wore a dark blue jersey. Time without number I'd tried to persuade him to wear something different.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

TonyR wrote:

Fully agree, TonyR having been knocked off 3 out of 4 times in broad daylight in bright coloured clothes.

Also it is not pure black but is broken up with the turquoise stripe down the back.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells