Trail / All Mountain Bike

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
mwooldridge

Trail / All Mountain Bike

Post by mwooldridge »

I am thinking of getting said titled bike through bike to work scheme for more extreme winter commute. As I am more of a roady I am not so up to date on mountain bikes, added to that I am a complete bike snob so struggle with budget priced kit. Looking for something that will do winter commute (north Scotland so winter tyres), along with some trail riding (Strathpuffer). Has to be under the £1000 threshold, but good enough core that will allow me to slowly upgrade as I wear bits out.

Is this possible or should I just save up instead?

Regards

Mike
alpgirl

Re: Trail / All Mountain Bike

Post by alpgirl »

Depends whether you are looking for full suspension or not. 'All mountain' implies rear shocks which can be expensive so you will be unlikely to get anything decent for under a grand. Also, some cycle to work schemes only work with full priced bikes, so you might be better looking for a good deal on last years model. I bought a cannondale Rize a few years ago with 35% off at the end of the season, bringing it down to under £1300. Cheaper full sussers tend to be quite heavy, so it is worth spending a bit more.
If you don't need a full susser, you should get something decent for under £1000.It may even be worth looking at a 29" hardtail.
mwooldridge

Post by mwooldridge »

Thanks for the input alpgirl; your right on the hard tail point. I am not considering FS, and have been looking at 29ers in particular. Any other thoughts?
Eddie Hotrod

Post by Eddie Hotrod »

When you say "snob", do you mean it's got to have the right badge, or just good outfitting? Some of the Saracens are good, the Zen won best in class last year and this years version is a 650b. They've take the Kili into the 29er bracket now.

This might fit your bill, I know we've got it in work at 10% off through February.
http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/kili-expert
mwooldridge

Post by mwooldridge »

Thanks Eddie, definitely mean quality and not bothered about name.

Will check out the Saracen as suggested.

Regards,

Mike