Campy 10 spd cassette cog swapping

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Oldcastle

Campy 10 spd cassette cog swapping

Post by Oldcastle »

Currently running cross bike with 38 front single chain ring and 13- 29 Cassette

But occasionally the 13 cog is not enough - So am thinking of swapping 13 for a 12 or even an 11 cog. 38 chain ring is my happy zone and not an option to change.

Anyone know of any negatives to doing this swap? Spacers need changing?

Is cog jump on outside ( smaller cogs ) of cassette an issue? Where typically there is a 2-3 tooth jump on big cog far side?
Brucey

Re: Campy 10 spd cassette cog swapping

Post by Brucey »

Oldcastle wrote: Is cog jump on outside ( smaller cogs ) of cassette an issue? Where typically there is a 2-3 tooth jump on big cog far side?

1T on an 11T sprocket is quite a big percentage. You may well find that 11-14T or 12 14T is quite a big gap.

The shift won't be that good because the sprockets are not designed to be sat next to one another, but you will just have to try it and see how you get on.

If you go onto the Campagnolo website, you can find pdfs of their spare parts catalogues which also list the sprocket and spacer permutations in their cassettes. IIRC you may need a special lockring to go with a smaller top sprocket.

It might be easiest to buy a second cassette and mix and match with that, so that you have the 'join' somewhere in the middle of the cassette; e.g. if you get a 12-25, you can assemble a 12-29 where you will effectively have traded your 16T sprocket for a 12T sprocket.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I have done similar and as Brucey says you need to have a difference of one tooth between the bottom two sprockets, which is a common instruction from most manufacturers. I have done this with Campag, Shimano and Marchisio and I try and spread the ratio evenly, which entails having a few different options in the mid and high ranges.

I can confirm you will need a new/different lock ring with Campag.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a Miche cassette I bought as individual cogs. It cost a packet coz I had to get them from USA as I couldn't find them in UK. They are available now, but they weren't when I wanted them! Cost me £100 including shipping.

I've now ordered a 2013 Campag 10sp 12-30. It's on its way from France, as although UK sites list it, no-one has one and they don't know when they will get them in. Ribble for instance:
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ampcass515
Good price too. :oops:

I'm getting mine from Velos-Max in France, but at 100Euro including P+P.
http://www.velos-max.com/product_info.p ... 92a6c31394

Upshot of this, is that my Miche 12-29 is up for sale. I advertised it on here a month or so ago but had no particular interest. The cogs are:
12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 25, 29 splined for Campag and done only 5,400miles and is in great condition.

It doesn't change as sweetly as a Campag cassette, but it's ok really. To address your question, you cannot swap Campag cogs away from the spec of the cassette as it will destroy the timing. The Miche cassette isn't timed to the N'th degree like Campag, so you can mix and match individual cogs. Also, buying individual Campag cogs is cost-prohibitive.

If you are interested in my Miche cassette, drop me a PM.
Mick F. Cornwall
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Mick, thanks for the update with the centaur 12/30 cassette - you gave me the reminder I needed to order one.

I've just checked Parkers and successfully ordered one - although I may get an email saying they're not yet in stock, but why would they have them there to order? RJ Chickens also have them listed and available for their stockists, I took note of the catalogue number first in case I had to request Parkers (or any other retailer) to get one in for me.

you cannot swap Campag cogs away from the spec of the cassette as it will destroy the timing

You're probably right there, Mick, but I have managed it on one occasion and used an amalgamation for a tour where timing wasn't quite as critical as racing! Like you, I spent a fortune on Marchisio individual sprockets (nearly £200, 10 years ago!) to give me about 3 different ranges and not quite as crisp as Campag, but a good second choice. It will be interesting to try the new 12/30 cassette!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Parkers! :evil:
I have been checking them - along with many other sites for weeks now, and gave up. NOW they list it!

I ordered one from http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... d_Cassette
who had one listed at a wonderful price, only to receive an email that the price had gone up and they don't have them.
I cancelled my order and they've since removed it from their listings.

I ordered one from
http://www.7hundred.co.uk/42/products/c ... sette.aspx
who had no idea when they would come in.
I cancelled my order.

Hence I went for "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".
Mick F. Cornwall
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I will update you if it arrives OK - I've chosen the 'free' postage, which normally takes a couple of days longer, so I would expect it by about Thursday...or not!
Oldcastle

Post by Oldcastle »

Okay - sounds like some things to consider . Scheming continues. Thanks
Daipink

Post by Daipink »

Just to add to this thread, I purchased a Miche 13t bottom sprocket & 18t middle sprocket for Campag 9/10 speed cassettes from http://www.xxcycle.com/cassettes-and-sprocket-and-miche,en.php (based in Toulouse) at the end of 2012. It took just over a week to arrive if I remember rightly, well it was long enough to be a pleasant surprise when it arrived, cost was somehwere in the region of £12-15 for the 2 posted which I was happy with.

I was running a 12-25 10 speed on 53/39 chainrings and found the jump from 17 to 19 uncomfortably big on the 53 ring and rarely found myself "needing" the 12 sprocket. Both slotted in fine to a used cassette and gave me a straight through block from 13-19 then 21, 23 & 25 for climbing. There may be a slight delay in shifting to the 18t but nothing that bothers me, I also do one day on an outdoor track in the winter so the straight-through gears feel really nice.

The 18 is currently in a 9-speed block (13,14,15,16,17,18,19,21,23) on an Audax type bike which is ok too, as long as I avoid really steep, long hills. I'm getting a compact chainset soon though so these ratios should be fine on more demanding routes with a 34t inner ring.

I'm thinking of ordering one or two more 18 sprockets to make up a 12-23 10 speed cassette for racing & training & won't hesitate to use xxcycle again. It's also made me realise that Campag 9 & 10 speed sprockets seem to be interchangeable & that it's only the spacers that matter so I'm going to check the garage for worn cassettes now!

Should add I don't do any loaded riding, mainly club runs with guys training for sportives & road races.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Daipink wrote: won't hesitate to use xxcycle again.

bike-europe on ebay is I believe the UK importer for Miche. He will assemble custom cassettes and will supply sprockets individually, just email him for what you want and how to pay. He charged me £5 each inc p&p before Christmas. Link provided as an example from ebay so that you can contact him. I have used XXCycle as well. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miche-Shimano ... 2a28621a69