Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ankaradan

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by ankaradan »

Hi

I’ve been looking on here for a couple of weeks now, so should really introduce myself

My name’s Peter (not Dan), and I’m in my 60’s, recently retired and living at present in Ankara. I’m trying to get out more now I’ve retired, but its taking a while to get fit again; it’s very hilly round here.
Two bikes at present:- an 18 year old Kona Kilauea rigid steel MTB, and a Monoc TC2, aluminium/carbon road bike, which sadly is not much use on the appalling tarmac of most of the roads around here.
My aim is to come to the UK this summer to spend a few weeks touring, and visiting old friends. I’m intending to link this to a very slow LEJOG.
Good points about living and cycling in Turkey – loads of sunshine, not much traffic off the main roads.
Bad points about cycling in Turkey – too much sunshine in summer, wild dogs, idiot drivers.

Regards
Peter
mistermarkytaylor

Post by mistermarkytaylor »

im Mark
live in Bristol with girlfriend and our daughter and son
mental health support worker
6mile commute daily with about 5-15miles during work
love weekend riding when we get out and about with the kids in the trailer, they love it!
my 4 year old has just started riding without stabilisers last week!
current bike is falcon nimbus folder, very strange bouncy ride!
was riding bickerton-dahon 29year old folder until recently, i loved this bike so much,but its finally knackered beyond repair...
am in process of getting brand spanking new brompton P6R through cycle to work scheme...should be riding it in about 8weeks!
CJBill

Post by CJBill »

Hello!Right, introduction...

Real name is Bill, I work in IT which currently provides me with a wonderful 18 to 30 mile each way commute to work from Manchester through the Cheshire countryside. Of course, if it's really chucking it down (and we are talking about Manchester...) there's always the less than wonderful 11 mile quick route but that's for emergencies only!

I enjoy touring, the longer the better: when I got made redundant a while back I cycled from the UK to Vietnam. More recently though it's been the UK and France. As I'm having to sell the house at the moment I'm currently contemplating setting off on another jaunt later this year, down to South Africa.

Think that touches most things cycling related. The rest will no doubt be revealed as and when relevant ;)
MattyDeez

Post by MattyDeez »

My real name: Matty

Occupation: Warehouseman driving fork lifts (Currently undertaking a Class 2 license at work).

Favourite colour: Dont have one.

Bikes/Cycling: One bike, Giant Defy 1 - I did have a Giant Trance X4 but sold it, was gathering dust. I had my bike stolen last april, I did have a Giant Defy 2 and Giant Yukon FX2 - i felt happy when they got stolen actually, i wouldn't of had the cash to get better bikes.

Interesting fact: Doing LEJOG with Peak Tours in May! I'm also with Sunderland Clarion part of the National Clarion.
LukeFRC

Hello!

Post by LukeFRC »

Hello everyone.

Been google searching info about various bikes and this forum came up enough I thought I should register and say hello.
My name is luke, and lived in Edinburgh before moving down to the far less car friendly Leeds late last year.

My bike is my main commute and get around, not massively high milage (about 3.5k miles last year at estimate) currently ride an old Edinburgh Bicycle Cullin aluminium Frame that my mate sold me tricked out with Bomber shocks and Shimano XT/LX chain set and calliper breaks. The longer I've had it the slicker the tyres have got, it's a brillaint ride, I love it! Thinking of getting something with bigger wheels, and skinner tyres soon :)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Hi everyone Image

I'm a silver surfer who has a new tricycle which I'm very proud of. My husband bought me a bicycle for my 65th birthday and I fell off it 3 times, so we decided to change it for a tricycle, and I love it. I'm very much looking forward to the Spring and having some nice rides on it. Just trying to work out how this forum works.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Moonraker wrote:Hi everyone Image

I'm a silver surfer who has a new tricycle which I'm very proud of. My husband bought me a bicycle for my 65th birthday and I fell off it 3 times, so we decided to change it for a tricycle, and I love it. I'm very much looking forward to the Spring and having some nice rides on it. Just trying to work out how this forum works.

Welcome to the forum Moonraker,saw the trike in the pics thread,nice! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

reohn2 wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Hi everyone Image

Welcome to the forum Moonraker,saw the trike in the pics thread,nice! :)

Thank youImage reohn2
Chisa

Post by Chisa »

Hello. What to say!? I dunno. Like riding bikes, not too keen on the competition side and all this strava nonsense! Enjoy the ride and the countryside.
Therese_pressoffice

Post by Therese_pressoffice »

My real name: Therese

Favourite colour: blues

Bikes/Cycling: Not riding all that much at the moment. Steel Italian frame set up as town bike with moustache handlebars and Phil Wood hubs. Colnago in the basement and got rid of my track bike a few years ago.

Interesting fact: Once won the European Courier Messenger Championships in Dublin and beat reigning world champ.
Si

Post by Si »

Welcome! Good things come to those who wait :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Moonraker wrote:
Thank youImage reohn2

:oops:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Antan1

Post by Antan1 »

Hi,

My real name is Rob, aged 57, I am from the northwest of England but have lived in southern Spain, Cadiz region for the last 9 years, cycling is a very popular sport around here, I try to ride 3 - 4 days a week, averaging around 70- 80 kms each ride.
Mountain bike trails are pretty good around here, quiet with some great watering holes and scenery.
Road biking, the roads are good with not to much traffic, most have bike lanes or a wide shoulder to ride in, and in the summer the tourists tend to stop near the coast.
Pretty hot in the summer, but tend to set of early and get back before midday.
I have only been back in the saddle for 7 months after a lay of since the 70s.
Cannondale SL4 MTB. Trek Checkpoint ALR5
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

Hi everyone, I've used the CTC boards for a while without being a member, and finally got round to joining.

I'm based in Paris, and I'm currently planning my third bike tour, after two weeks in Brittany (Finistère) in 2011 and two weeks in Scotland (Edinburgh - Oban - Outer Hebrides - Skye - Glasgow) in 2012. In the past I've done a fair amount of mountain biking so started touring on a converted Giant MTB. I've just invested in a 'real' touring bike - Fahrradmanufaktur steel frame, assembled by Rando Cycles in Paris.
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

Hi, I've been a member of this board for a while now without posting anything. I'm a fairly poor cyclist, I ride a Dawes Graduate fairly regularly for a few miles to go to and from classes (I am studying Physics in Glasgow). When I am at home with my parents in Northern Ireland I ride a mountain bike which i can't remember the name of, and would go for longer rides of 10-20 miles about once a fortnight. I have only once gone on a decent tour, about three years ago when I went about 50 miles a day for a long weekend. I'm really looking for advice on cycling and maintenance on bikes