...when toe clips were invented?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PaulCumbria

...when toe clips were invented?

Post by PaulCumbria »

I'm reading 'Round the world on a wheel' at the moment, and was astounded to find it mentions toe clips. Although the three dapper gents lounging against their safeties on the cover do not have toe clips fitted to their machines, they clearly did use them during their 1896-7 circumnavigation, according to the text.

Anyone know any more? Pictures of Ordinaries with toe clips fitted, perhaps?
BeeKeeper

Re: ...when toe clips were invented?

Post by BeeKeeper »

According to the link below they were invented in 1868 by Frenchman Clement Ader with clipless pedals coming (from other people) around in 1895. Ader is an intersting character with a claim to beating the Wright Brother to the first powered flight - except his first flights did all end in crashes with the result history more or less forgot him.
http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... me.history

A picture of an 1896 US toe clip can be seen here; http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... eum.straps
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

Fantastic - thanks Beekeeper! It never ceases to amaze me how rapidly the essentials of the bicycle were developed after its invention.
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

$300 (£190) plus for a pair of toestraps (Paturauds, for restoring Rene Herse/Singer bikes to within an inch of their lives)? Some people just have Too Much Money (and not enough imagination).
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

I must admit I was thinking something similar as I read about L'Eroica in the latest CTC magazine - old bikes are lovely, but come on! The obvious bike for that ride (as the article suggests) is either a modern bike (not allowed) or a seventies TOURING bike!
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I must admit I was thinking something similar as I read about L'Eroica in the latest CTC magazine - old bikes are lovely, but come on! The obvious bike for that ride (as the article suggests) is either a modern bike (not allowed) or a seventies TOURING bike!

I think the point of it is to enjoy yourself. Run wot you brung type of thing. Something different, otherwise it's just another ride or race.
Old bikes should be ridden anyway.
jezer

Post by jezer »

Ah yes, enjoy yourself. Let's see, frames weighing twice as much as modern carbon ones, tubs that punctured as soon as you looked at them, massive chainrings. Not to mention down tube levers that you couldn't operate when climbing out of the saddle. Those were the days :shock: I think I will stick to modern machines if it's all the same to you :lol:
Power to the pedals
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I think I will stick to modern machines if it's all the same to you :lol:

Do what you want. Makes no odds to me.
People enjoy old classic cars or steam trains etc. If's thats their idea of fun why not?
Boring old world if you all enjoyed the same thing.
L'Eroica is not just about the bike. It's the whole atmosphere, the people, wine, food.....
Why am I explaining this? Need to go wind my watch up and polish my chrome wheels :roll:
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

I'd personally have thought (so just an opinion) that they were invented after cats' eyes. They were patented in about 1934. Before that, cats used to bump into things.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

jezer wrote:Ah yes, enjoy yourself. Let's see, frames weighing twice as much as modern carbon ones, tubs that punctured as soon as you looked at them, massive chainrings. Not to mention down tube levers that you couldn't operate when climbing out of the saddle. Those were the days :shock: I think I will stick to modern machines if it's all the same to you :lol:

Hi,
Watch you don't get caught by a Steely while your playing with your sat nav :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.