Is there a CTC Brompton group?

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
littlegreyrabbit

Is there a CTC Brompton group?

Post by littlegreyrabbit »

Apparently just the subject heading is too few characters to post! So I ask again is there a CTC Brompton group?
David Cox

Re: Is there a CTC Brompton group?

Post by David Cox »

Not to my knowledge but CTC National Council is close! There was a group on Twitter called Small Wheels whose main aim last year was riding the End to End for a charity.
littlegreyrabbit

Thanks David. I've actually found an older woman who uses a Brompton all the time and she's been really helpful and made me feel that it's possible for it to be your onlly bike even in a hilly area - I shall see!
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

Look forward to hearing your experiences. I do have other bikes which are obviously quicker and essential for group riding but there isn't much that I ride that I haven't done on the Brompton. This includes Birmingham to Oxford charity ride, 3 day tour in Yorkshire, Mt Tamalpais in Marin County California, Mt Subasio above Assisi etc. I guess the Hell of the North Cotswolds would be even more of a challenge and impossible if wet and muddy! If I could only have one vehicle (inc the car) it would be the Brompton! With the Europcar, Boeing 737 and Pendalino accessories! I have the 6 speed with lower (not lowest) gear ratios.

The front pannier itself is a reason for using the Brompton for commuting. After many years thinking the larger rolling wheels only worked for the T models with carriers I fitted two to my L6 and greatly enjoy towing around stations etc.

Its low riding height does mean it needs and deserves cleaning more frequently especially on Birmingham's towpaths.
littlegreyrabbit

David do you know if you can change the brake levers on the Brompton? I have seen this year's model but, for me, I don't think they would be hugely better than what I have already. The new ones are adjustable but I tried the new Trek brake levers and could work them just with my little finger (I have arthritis in my hands). I know I can't put the Trek type on because they are V brakes but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make it better. I can manage at the moment but am not braking at max efficiency and am a bit worried about downhill in the rain.
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

Hi apologies for delay in getting back to you. Sorry I dont know the answer but I am sure that if you post the question on the Technical section of this Forum you will get expert feedback. In fact I'll try to do this shortly. I looked at the latest Brompton levers today in a local shop and they are an improvement and reach can now easily be adjusted e.g. for smaller hands. Its not just levers of course the calipers and the cable runs play a part and may have been different on the Trek that you tried. Braking has improved at lot since my original 1994 Brompton and I am sure that you will always be able to stop. Lets see what the experts say. Look in Technical and Bits.