Quietest route Edinburgh to Lancaster

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
GeorgeDR

Quietest route Edinburgh to Lancaster

Post by GeorgeDR »

Hi-I have never really toured before. To get a taste for it, I am planning on visiting friends in Lancaster. I live in Edinburgh. I intend doing this over 2 days.My plan so far is to cycle to Innerleithen then take the B709 to Langholm. I have done this before with no problems. However, the route from Lanholm to Carlisle then Penrith then Lancaster is a bit of an unknown for me. The direct route appears to be the A7 Langholm to Carlisle then the A6 to Penrith and then Lancaster.
Does anyone have suggestions for the section from Langholm to Lancaster? The A7/A6 looks pretty direct, but are these roads just too busy? Are there quieter routes I could use?
My plan is to break the journey at either Carlisle or Penrith. Any suggestions for good bike friendly B&Bs?

many thanks
geocycle

Re: Quietest route Edinburgh to Lancaster

Post by geocycle »

The A6 is generally fine as most of the heavy traffic uses the M6. It is not the quietest route but for that sort of distance over 2 days is probably the best bet.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

The A6 between Carlise and Kendal isn't that bad to cycle as most of the heavy stuff takes the M6.
But I'm not so sure about the A7.
One trick is to aim more towards Brampton before swinging back towards the A6 to go over shap to Kendal.
After Kendal it's the A65 - A6070 - A6 to Lancaster for the same reason.
Dean

Post by Dean »

This is the route I use Carlisle-Penrith. Getting out of Carlisle is a bit tricky, but it's a pretty good route, avoiding the A6 apart from the last bit into Penrith. In reality the A^ isn;t that bad, but this road's much quieter.

Have you considered the service road alongside the A74 from Gretna to Carlisle?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

GeorgeDR wrote: My plan is to break the journey at either Carlisle or Penrith. Any suggestions for good bike friendly B&Bs?

many thanks

There a Travel Lodge in the middle of both Carlise and Penrith plus one more half way between.
You should get a night in one of them for just under £30.
mcslaski

Post by mcslaski »

Hi, I live in Lancaster and from shap to Lancaster I wouldn't take the a6. There is a much quieter road which comes down the valley from Tebay towards Sedbergh, and past killington, then kirby Lonsdale, through Arkholme and into Lancaster. Stop at Cream 17 in shap for tea and cakes! Bootiful! :P
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

mcslaski wrote:Hi, I live in Lancaster and from shap to Lancaster I wouldn't take the a6. There is a much quieter road which comes down the valley from Tebay towards Sedbergh, and past killington, then kirby Lonsdale, through Arkholme and into Lancaster. Stop at Cream 17 in shap for tea and cakes! Bootiful! :P

That's a nice route. I would have recommended something similar using the NCN between Penrith and Kendal but the daily mileage suggests something more direct.
GeorgeDR

Post by GeorgeDR »

many thanks for all the suggestions-time to get the map out and start planning!
kennycr

Post by kennycr »

Take the A70 to Carnwath, head for Biggar, Moffat, Lockerbie then Carlisle and follow the A6.

Did it in reverse on my 2011 LEJoG and it was pretty quiet.