What's your favourite ride?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pedalsheep

Re: What's your favourite ride?

Post by pedalsheep »

+1 for the Isle of Wight but then I'm slightly biased as I live there! A full circuit of the island is a great ride but my favourite shorter ride is to follow the south coast and then circle back inland from Brighstone, Brook or Freshwater depending on how far I want to go. Actually I'm more likely to head inland first so I can enjoy the predominantly west wind behind me on the way back along the exposed coast road. The coast road gets quite busy in summer but at this time of year its virtually deserted and with a bit of sun sparkling on the sea and shining on the white cliffs its magic!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

pedalsheep wrote:+1 for the Isle of Wight but then I'm slightly biased as I live there! A full circuit of the island is a great ride but my favourite shorter ride is to follow the south coast and then circle back inland from Brighstone, Brook or Freshwater depending on how far I want to go. Actually I'm more likely to head inland first so I can enjoy the predominantly west wind behind me on the way back along the exposed coast road. The coast road gets quite busy in summer but at this time of year its virtually deserted and with a bit of sun sparkling on the sea and shining on the white cliffs its magic!

Do you find it a bind having to ferry over for something different? IOW isnt that big.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

ukdodger wrote
Do you find it a bind having to ferry over for something different? IOW isnt that big.

It is possible to ride 100 miles on the island without using the same road twice but I have to admit that it is not quite the same as riding that distance to places you don't normally visit. It can be a bind having to catch a ferry, especially if you just miss one or the schedule is disrupted but if all goes smoothly you can treat it as a slightly more unusual cafe stop! Obviously there is a trade off between the advantages of living on an island (quiet, peaceful, low crime) and the hassle and expense of catching a ferry if you want to go to the mainland (or North Island :lol: ). Its easy enough to ride over to the New Forest or South Downs if you fancy a bit of a change but mostly I'm happy riding on the island - wherever you live you tend to ride the same roads regularly.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Mick F wrote:
ukdodger wrote:Mick what's the flattest way of getting from Liskheard to Hayle? Have to do that in the summer and I know what Cornwall is like. The last time I did this it took me eleven hours. All because of the hills!
Liskeard to Hayle eh?

Here we go:
Start in the middle of Liskeard and go round to the north of the town past the Primary school, then down the steep hill and under the A38 to follow the Old A38 up through Dobwalls. If you follow signposts to Dobwalls - or look at a map - you'll be on the dual carriageway and it's awful.

From there, follow the A390 through the Tap Houses - East, Middle and West - and turn off for Lanhydrock and Bodmin. If you stay on the A390, you have to climb out of Lostwithiel - horrible hill! - and end up going through St Austell and Truro.

From Bodmin, go via Quintrell Downs, just south of Newquay and Goonhavern and you can get onto the Old A30 for Indian Queens, then Redruth, Camborne ...............and Hayle! :D

Route here: http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=492143

Mick how do I download this route?
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Click on the 'Summary' tab.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

hexhome wrote:Click on the 'Summary' tab.

Thanks.
mig

Post by mig »

the first ride of spring when it's actually warm enough to ride without gloves, rain as far as you can tell is doubtful ( :wink: ) and you roll along thinking of all the rides to come.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

mig wrote:the first ride of spring when it's actually warm enough to ride without gloves, rain as far as you can tell is doubtful ( :wink: ) and you roll along thinking of all the rides to come.

'Like'
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Well, it wasn't today! 63 and a bit miles up to Wortham and back. Cold,wet,horrible! And battled against a killer headwind all the way back down. Why did we do it? Blowed if I know. Though when the weather does get better (if it ever gets better), at least we'll have the miles in our legs. :roll:
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

pioneer wrote:Well, it wasn't today! 63 and a bit miles up to Wortham and back. Cold,wet,horrible! And battled against a killer headwind all the way back down. Why did we do it? Blowed if I know. Though when the weather does get better (if it ever gets better), at least we'll have the miles in our legs. :roll:

Bravo! Take heart that at least you're a real cyclist and not one of those fair weather fairies you only see in summer flashing off their £1m bikes all decked out in matching lycra (bike included).
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I'm feeling it today. And once again, it's "bike loving Monday". I can't remember a winter when the I've had to clean the bike so much.
Spotty dog2

Post by Spotty dog2 »

I work nights and weekends so my rides are mainly week days in the afternoons I live about 1.5mls from the Clent Hills so usually end up pottering about the nice quiet lanes by myself.
Although never far from a main road and home you are in the countryside away from the ratrace without to many cars to contend with.
Having just built a new bike and really pleased at getting a sweet riding position and gearing spot on for my needs, I also chose to leave off the cycle computer with all its wonderful array of infomation to just enjoy the ride take in the surroundings and listen to the quiet hum of the tyres bliss!
With no idea how far I rode my average speed or even the time it took its the best way to take a favorite ride :)
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

al_yrpal wrote:Down the East coast of Skye, spectacular with the Cullins in the background. It's scenery and interesting places that I love.

Nevermind cycling that and the A87 as a whole is a wonderful drive too.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Funny that. I'm leading an awayday next Tuesday with some freinds from the club. A train-assist to Beccles and then a meander back via some of the Waveney Valley and the Norfolk/Suffolk border. Very pretty and not much traffic. It did occur to me to do the same. Leave the comp' off the bike, leave my watch in my pocket (like I used to), and just enjoy the ride.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

pioneer wrote:Funny that. I'm leading an awayday next Tuesday with some freinds from the club. A train-assist to Beccles and then a meander back via some of the Waveney Valley and the Norfolk/Suffolk border. Very pretty and not much traffic. It did occur to me to do the same. Leave the comp' off the bike, leave my watch in my pocket (like I used to), and just enjoy the ride.

It's what it's all about.