Hardcore or what?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DaveP

Hardcore or what?

Post by DaveP »

I'd been keeping my eyes open for possible pics of UK Pugsley action after our recent flirtation with the white stuff.
No luck - but I've just noticed this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21393614
Specifically Image 4.
Respect!! Mine would have been back on its hooks long before :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
gaz

Re: Hardcore or what?

Post by gaz »

Here's a shot of the Canal Path on my commute home from a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure what the will-o-the-wispy stuff is, I guess my camera doesn't do cold.

HPIM0702a.JPG

I've fitted some spiked tyres since then so it's guaranteed not to snow again this winter. :roll:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Well it wasn't being ridden ... probably locked there and then the snow came down...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

gaz wrote:Here's a shot of the Canal Path on my commute home from a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure what the will-o-the-wispy stuff is, I guess my camera doesn't do cold.

HPIM0702a.JPG

I've fitted some spiked tyres since then so it's guaranteed not to snow again this winter. :roll:

Looks to me you've photographed a ghost. Definite face there. Most likely one of the meriead E2Eers who gave up and couldnt face her indoors.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Is it just me or is image 4 now of snow ploughs?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Ron

Post by Ron »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Is it just me or is image 4 now of snow ploughs?

It's not just you, Image 4 is indeed of two snowploughs.
It looks as if they attach their lightweight ploughs to dustbin lorries, no doubt there are industrial size ploughs for the real snow :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

They aren't dustbin lorries. They are spreaders that look like dustbin lorries. They push snow with one end, and spread salt or mixtures with calcium chloride (to improve below-freezing performance) from the back.

They also use loaders or larger ploughs for moving large amounts of snow, but the combination of plough on the front and spreader on the back works well for roads and many conditions.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

eileithyia wrote:Well it wasn't being ridden ... probably locked there and then the snow came down...

Hhmmm. Daresay you're right - I assumed a connection between the shadowy figure and the bike.
Still, as noted, it has all changed now. I didn't realise they did that, I thought they just posted a new gallery for new images.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:They aren't dustbin lorries. They are spreaders that look like dustbin lorries. They push snow with one end, and spread salt or mixtures with calcium chloride (to improve below-freezing performance) from the back.

They also use loaders or larger ploughs for moving large amounts of snow, but the combination of plough on the front and spreader on the back works well for roads and many conditions.

They are bin lorries. If you look closely you can even see Sanitation on the side and Don't Litter further back.
Just like this but with a blade on the front.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Even we could do that...
Then we'd have ploughs a plenty.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:They aren't dustbin lorries. They are spreaders that look like dustbin lorries. They push snow with one end, and spread salt or mixtures with calcium chloride (to improve below-freezing performance) from the back.

They are bin lorries. If you look closely you can even see Sanitation on the side and Don't Litter further back.

You're right & I was mistaken. Either that's a new practice, or it's only done in some areas, because I lived in various snowy places in the USA for more than 30 years, and I never saw a dustbin lorry (aka garbage truck) removing snow before. I have seen lots of things that look like them, but with spreaders on the back. And in some places, the same department of the council looks after waste removal and snow clearing so 'sanitation' on the side wasn't particularly remarkable.

I guess it's a logical thing to do, especially if they can use towed grit spreaders or something, as well.

What do they do if it snows on bin day? :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

gaz wrote:I'm not sure what the will-o-the-wispy stuff is, I guess my camera doesn't do cold.

It looks like you were breathing.
Even very thin mistiness will reflect on-camera flash back into the lens very effectively.
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

Not my Glasgow-Stirling commute, but that of a friend on the evening of 25th January. He started on the canal towpath, but when the snow built up between his mudguards and wheels he had to carry the bike to the main road and continue.Comments from triathletes were along the lines "You are bonkers but we are not worthy...", while cyclists said "Mudguards in this weather? You should know better!"
Attachments
Andy Turnbull's commute, 25.01.13.jpg
Andy Turnbull's commute, 25.01.13.jpg (6.25 KiB) Viewed 730 times