From the Gaurdian

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
MattStoke

From the Gaurdian

Post by MattStoke »

Sorry if anybody has already seen this

www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2202699,00.html

So what would your bikes choose?
glueman

Post by glueman »

A chain eh? Expensive business.
Changing a chain usually means the whole block (can't get individual sprockets and the middle ones wear first), finding your cassette number has been superceded, getting your rear end cold set (only if it's the right sort of steel), the chain rings are worn.
Swapping a chain has lead to many a new bike :wink: .
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sigh .............
Mick F. Cornwall
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

glueman wrote:A chain eh? Expensive business.
Changing a chain usually means the whole block (can't get individual sprockets and the middle ones wear first), finding your cassette number has been superceded, getting your rear end cold set (only if it's the right sort of steel), the chain rings are worn.
Swapping a chain has lead to many a new bike :wink: .

On the whole, a rear cassette isn't that expensive (unless you want high performance, the sort only the top atheletes can really justify the expense of).

And I have cheated in the past, changing a chain without chaining the rear cassette. No problems bedding in.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
glueman

Post by glueman »

2Tubs wrote:And I have cheated in the past, changing a chain without chaining the rear cassette. No problems bedding in.
Gazza
Me too, but you shouldn't leave them very long or they skip. I can confirm from impoverished student days that if you persevere long enough (months?) they do bed in and stop skipping but I wouldn't recommend it.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I remember some years ago one of my bikes making such a decision.

It is the only time that I can recall any of my bikes showing a display of emotion.

I has started club riding on an ATB. This had been lovingly upgraded as sparse pocket money funds allowed.

Once I started work, two tourers appeared and received all the attention and pound notes.

So when the ATB was taken out for an airing on the DA's roughstuff event it proceeded to throw it's rear derailleur (XT) into the back wheel, somehow took out the front one as well (XT) and left me finishing the event on a 54 inch single free.

Result, I needed to replace most of the transmission at considerable cost and learnt that bikes can show at least one emotion, jealousy.
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

Would you buy a new one at a chain store? :wink: