A place to record long distance utility rides

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
basingstoke123

Re: A place to record long distance utility rides

Post by basingstoke123 »

I've just got back after a 19 mile round trip to friends (a group of us meet up - everyone else drives - or shares a lift). Do this 2 or 3 times a month. Coming back in the late evening the roads are very quiet.

I am a member of a walking group in Hampshire. If a walk is close enough (eg 15 miles), I will sometimes cycle to the start, do the walk, then cycle home. The problem is, I only allow just enough time, and sometimes the distance is a couple of miles further than I thought or I take a wrong turning. 'Ten minutes to get there - I hope it's only 2 miles left, not 3!" And walking boots don't fit easily in my pannier.

At the other end, distance wise, I once gave a lift to a broken down cyclist on the A303, who was cycling from London to South Devon to attend a party. It was the bicycle that had broken down, not the cyclist. Problem was fixed at my parents, and the cyclist still had much of Devon to cross (choice of hills).
dbascent1986

Post by dbascent1986 »

Dublin to Kilkenny for Kilkenomics (80 miles each way?), on the way down with some Patagonian headwinds, on the return with some early sleet.

One daughter and family live in the East Midlands and on my return to England rode from Holy Head to her family over a couple of days (250 miles) - beautiful North Wales countryside in early winter - don't think will try to visit by bike from London but plan to take the train to Huntingdon and cycle from there (around 70 miles).

My usual ride is around 40 miles, so beyond 80 miles in a day is not so enjoyable.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

cyled 35 miles (round trip) to collect a James Bond Video collection (17 in total at the time) that the other half bought on ebay for her mum & dad, that was a lovely little ride.

However the furthest I've ridden for proper utility was to deliver a large and weighty book I'd sold on Amazon that was going to cost more than the charged postage to send via RM.
I cycled from Letchworth to a small row of houses in the middle of no-where t'other side of Bishops Stortford, it was about 55-60 mile journey...again weather was lovely :D

I've cycled further to visit friends in Buckinghamshire (& it was pretty hilly as well) but that isn't utility in my humble opinion, nor is such things as cycling to the start of an audax, not that it really matters..
meic

Post by meic »

but that isn't utility in my humble opinion, nor is such things as cycling to the start of an audax

Is driving to the start of an Audax utility driving?
Yma o Hyd
elduderino12

Post by elduderino12 »

A 63 mile round trip for a suit fitting. I had the day off work and it was a nice day - seemed logical I take the bike :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

elduderino12 wrote:A 63 mile round trip for a suit fitting. I had the day off work and it was a nice day - seemed logical I take the bike :D

But did you wear the suit on the way back?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
elduderino12

Post by elduderino12 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
elduderino12 wrote:A 63 mile round trip for a suit fitting. I had the day off work and it was a nice day - seemed logical I take the bike :D

But did you wear the suit on the way back?

Haha, I didn't no - it was only to take measurements for a wedding, so I didn't even get the option to, probably for the best really :)
horizon

Post by horizon »

Tonyf33 wrote:I've cycled further to visit friends in Buckinghamshire (& it was pretty hilly as well) but that isn't utility in my humble opinion, nor is such things as cycling to the start of an audax, not that it really matters..

I've been trying to figure out why it matters (I know that's not quite what you meant, but I've taken up the idea anyway). Maybe it's something to do with elevating a humdrum journey into something special, an unexpected adventure and pleasure. You liberate yourself from the car and thus the need simply to get there. Suddenly the journey itself becomes the aim. There is a philosophical idea that mankind needs to turn everyday tasks into pleasure: that way we can live simply and not work in order to reward ourselves later - the task is the reward.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

meic wrote:
but that isn't utility in my humble opinion, nor is such things as cycling to the start of an audax

Is driving to the start of an Audax utility driving?

nope
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

horizon wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:I've cycled further to visit friends in Buckinghamshire (& it was pretty hilly as well) but that isn't utility in my humble opinion, nor is such things as cycling to the start of an audax, not that it really matters..

I've been trying to figure out why it matters (I know that's not quite what you meant, but I've taken up the idea anyway). Maybe it's something to do with elevating a humdrum journey into something special, an unexpected adventure and pleasure. You liberate yourself from the car and thus the need simply to get there. Suddenly the journey itself becomes the aim. There is a philosophical idea that mankind needs to turn everyday tasks into pleasure: that way we can live simply and not work in order to reward ourselves later - the task is the reward.

People are cycling full stop, that's why it doesn't matter how you quantify it, so long as people are on bikes. Visiting friends or cycling to the start of an audax is a leisure thing, it's not what I would describe as utility. As I said, makes no odds so long as people are bikes.
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

Tonyf33 wrote:People are cycling full stop, that's why it doesn't matter how you quantify it, so long as people are on bikes. Visiting friends or cycling to the start of an audax is a leisure thing, it's not what I would describe as utility. As I said, makes no odds so long as people are bikes.

Utility riding does matter though. If cycles are seen only as play things that people use in their free time, then you end up with town centers that ban cycles from pedestrianised area, but still allow busses and delivery vehicles with permits through. Or waste disposal centers/dumps that don't allow you to use them unless you arrive in a motor vehicle. (not that these have anything to do with long distance utility rides).
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

But I am still allowed to enjoy utility cycling aren't I?
drossall

Post by drossall »

As a student, I used to ride between university in Leeds and home south of Stockport, when going home to visit and for a weekend's racing.

Then, after starting work, I did a number of day rides from Hertfordshire back up to Cheshire (about 140 miles I suppose) to visit.

I've ridden all over Hertfordshire for various church and Scouting committee and similar meetings - 30 miles each way sometimes.

I even rode 100 miles to Scout camp in Staffordshire once, although I did get someone else to take my kit so that I could use a lightweight bike.

Sometimes the only way you can find time for a ride is to use it as transport.
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

hexhome wrote:But I am still allowed to enjoy utility cycling aren't I?

NO, we are not allowed to have fun here. Keep in line and no freewheeling allowed. Keep pedaling.
Utility bicycles are to be supplied one of 4 fixed sizes and only three prescribed colours are permitted.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

7_lives_left wrote:
hexhome wrote:But I am still allowed to enjoy utility cycling aren't I?

NO, we are not allowed to have fun here. Keep in line and no freewheeling allowed. Keep pedaling.
Utility bicycles are to be supplied one of 4 fixed sizes and only three prescribed colours are permitted.

Why take the pee, clearly people have differing ideas about what certain things mean to them, I voiced MY opinion, I didn't slate anyone I just made it clear I didn't consider certain riding as utility, if you're going to respond with stupid comments that end a sensible discussion...well done :roll: