Ortleib rack inserts - 3d printing new ones

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Reigncloud

Ortleib rack inserts - 3d printing new ones

Post by Reigncloud »

While I love my Ortleibs, I hate the fact they rattle around on my rack, even when properly seated and locked on. This is because the inserts that you get are made for certain diameter rack tubing. Mine is 10mm and the closest internal diameter of the inserts is 11.2mm (or therebouts). I realise that's not much of a difference, but you do notice it while riding.

These inserts seem a little too complicated to fabricate at home so I thought I'd look into getting one 3D printed. I did the sketch below in sketchup and made a rough calculation of the volume for printing. Given the costs listed here (£2.00 per cubic centimetre), one insert would be about £26 to print(!) A bit out of my range, but if anyone wants the model please let me know and you can have it.

One note is that a better fitting insert like this will only remove the side-to-side movement, but won't do much for the up and down movement, which may actually be the majority of the rattling anyway. Still, was fun drawing this up :)

ortleib insert2.png
mrjemm

Re: Ortleib rack inserts - 3d printing new ones

Post by mrjemm »

And in the meantime, you can wrap some insulating or self-amalgamating tape around the rack tubes. That works. Promise.
RickH

Post by RickH »

mrjemm wrote:And in the meantime, you can wrap some insulating or self-amalgamating tape around the rack tubes. That works. Promise.

+1 for that :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Reigncloud

Post by Reigncloud »

mrjemm wrote:And in the meantime, you can wrap some insulating or self-amalgamating tape around the rack tubes. That works. Promise.

Yeah I realised that but didn't want the ugly tape left on my bike. I know that sounds precious and my bike certainly isn't an image of beauty, but just a personal taste thing :)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if anyone is contemplating actually doing this, I'd advise that you look very carefully at the mechanical properties of the polymer; pannier clips cannot just be made from any old thing that you happen to be able to make the right shape.

And yes, not wanting sticky tape on your bike does sound precious!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Why don't you buy the 8mm inserts and just file them out to fit? They're only £4
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ortlieb-plas ... prod12402/

Brucey wrote:if anyone is contemplating actually doing this, I'd advise that you look very carefully at the mechanical properties of the polymer; pannier clips cannot just be made from any old thing that you happen to be able to make the right shape.
These widgets are just shims, not load bearing hooks.
RickH

Post by RickH »

An alternative, but slightly more fiddly, taping technique would be a few layers of insulating tape inside the top of the insert. No tape visible then.

Mine is a black rack so black tape doesn't show much - in fact it covers the scuffs from before I taped it :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

CREPELLO wrote: These widgets are just shims, not load bearing hooks.

fair point, but even so, if the polymer is no good, they won't hold up very well.

BTW I have taken nylon pneumatic line, slit it, then taped it to my carrier so that it is the correct diameter for a pannier hook; the hook works better, the carrier is protected, and I can live with the aesthetic shortcomings of the sticky tape needed to secure it....

cheers
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

CREPELLO wrote:Why don't you buy the 8mm inserts and just file them out to fit? They're only £4

If held correctly in a bench vice a 10mm drill will make the job a lot quicker.
Reigncloud

Post by Reigncloud »

Redvee wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:Why don't you buy the 8mm inserts and just file them out to fit? They're only £4

If held correctly in a bench vice a 10mm drill will make the job a lot quicker.

I had thought of this, but the problem is that the inserts are a pretty poor fit to start with. They don't sit under the hooks very well and are constantly moving about. Hence the additional flanges on the one I designed.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Hosepipe.
Attachments
DSC00504a.JPG
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
irc

Post by irc »

Or alternatively cut short lengths of 15mm plastic heating pipe, slit and place over rack, secure with a bit of Duck tape. Then use the Ortliebs with no inserts.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

There's some serious bodging being displayed in this thread :P Though I'm not sure it's exactly appealing to Reigncloud. And I understand - as yet I've not submitted any of my bikes to hosepipe.

Self amalgamating tape's a new one on me. I might have to go buy some, although I imagine it could be too soft for rack protectors, which take some serious pummelling.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Split PTFE `P`clip inners. :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

CREPELLO wrote: Self amalgamating tape's a new one on me. I might have to go buy some, although I imagine it could be too soft for rack protectors, which take some serious pummelling.

-it is rather soft; I tried it for bar tape finishing, and it didn't last at all well.

cheers