Cycling Backpack Advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
smep

Cycling Backpack Advice

Post by smep »

Hello, Please does anyone have a review of the best cycling backpacks...I'm thinking of a day pack without a hydration system..
Thank you Steve
robgul

Re: Cycling Backpack Advice

Post by robgul »

Don't go there! - cycling with a backpack/rucksack is not good ... loads of "saddle bags" of different varieties - will be a much better option.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I always cycle with a back pack, did so in my youth when fishing, commuting etc.
You will also see alot of people with backpacs going to work etc, is a convienient way to carry stuff.
Short rides are bearable, its a lot less fuss than saddle bags and panniers.
But if you say carry 4 kgs all day especially over uneven ground your bum will suffer on the saddle, not because of purely the weight but because the weight is not your body and such has an uncontrollable innertia effect, when bobbing up and down :(
I carry a ruck sack because I can dismount in a instant and carry my valuables with me quickly, not worrying I have left them on my bike.
Of course it is a Mountain Marathon ruck sack I got of ebay second hand for a few quid.
They can retail at £ 55 and can be bought for £ 35 in the right place, mine is 340 grams, but has mesh back, mesh arm straps, bladder compatable, side mesh pockets, chest and waist straps, compression straps. Alas discontinued :(
I would not normally carry more than 1 Kg. but has capacity for plenty to stow gear or do shopping.
Most cycle ruck sacks are 550 grams up and typically 800 to 1200 grams. You get what you pay for.
I don't think there are many specific cycle rucksacks that are light weight.

The purest touring cyclist will scorn the thought :( And to a point long distances with more than a kilo or two are uncomfortable.
I did my first Time Trial with a rucksack, because I rode to the start.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

I strongly recommend Kriega, not lightweight but extremely comfortable and bulletproof.
http://www.kriega.com/categories/Rucksacks/

or on more of a budget Alpkit Gourdon
http://www.alpkit.com/gourdon
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
Si

Post by Si »

I, too, find them fine more convenient for short rides at an easy pace. I use the el cheapo Aldi one. I wouldn't really recommend it as the zip is rubbish and it doesn't have a chest strap (not crucial but if you are going off road it helps).

A good compromise is to have a wire shopping basket on top of the rack, into which you can just throw your back pack and secure with a bungee. Best of both world - easy to get on and off the bike and to carry around, but no sweaty back or shoulder ache. Probably looks a bit naff and the purists won't like it, but what the heck.

Back packs can also be a lot better for serious off-roading....weapon of choice for many polaris riders.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I've used backpacks and panniers for the commute to work (all of 2 miles) both are fine, though I have settled on panniers as they are less hassle on the bike (no flapping about, or moving around, no weight on the back, etc.) and if I jump off in town to get something the pannier can have a shoulder strap attached to it, so instant messenger bag. Saying that, the backpack was fine for that sort a distance and I just went into the local camping store and bought a decent waterproof walking one (A berghaus). A backpack is a backpack at the end of the day...
smep

Post by smep »

Thanks for the advice...I am taking delivery of a lightweight touring bike and didn't want to go down the route of a rack just yet and wondered about the recommendations for backpacks...I guess as said a pack is a pack but curious as to latest cycling specific designs. Regards
Steve
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I don't know how much you have to carry but I use one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/ALTURA-Arran-Ex ... 294&sr=8-2 No rack needed and clips off in seconds
'Kernow bys Vyken'
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

There's a whole website devoted to the subject: http://www.bikepacking.net/ There is a gear review section which may help but it is a US site so apart from translation some of the gear may not be available here.

There is also some info here: http://www.adventurecycling.org/feature ... acking.cfm

My touring bike has panniers but if I was starting again I would seriously look at the concept of using frame bags.

Some inspiration here as well: http://www.whileoutriding.com/kit

(Other sites are available)
guzzimag

Post by guzzimag »

Cycling Active did a review of backpacks a while back and the Vaude Bike Alpine came out tops and is available in a rather fetching green!
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

For me, an important feature for any backpack (day pack), but particularly on a bike (mo or pedal) is the straps- I always get straps that are like a continuation of the body of the bag, like a yoke rather than just sewn on at the interface. Usually they are stronger (always found straps are the 1st part to break, at this point, now the bag just dies of old age for me), and more comfortable, because the straps here are firstly often wider apart, and also they usually curve around my neck/shoulders better.

Hmmm, Madame uses a Vaude. She'll be angry to know there's a green version, hehehe.
smep

Post by smep »

Many thanks for the kind advice.....much appreciated ...The Vaude looks/sounds good.
Regards,
Steve
Si

Post by Si »

smep wrote:Thanks for the advice...I am taking delivery of a lightweight touring bike and didn't want to go down the route of a rack just yet

Have you considered a saddle bag with a QR? No need for a full on rack or discomfort on your back.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Some one has already recommended Vaude. Deuter do good packs. When I was looking for a packa few months ago Evans Cycles had a reasonable range. Look for one that offers a mesh system for allowing air to circulate between your back and the pack.

I always wear a pack while cycle touring. Obviously it's more comfortable to carry your luggage on the bike rather than on you, but a daypack for water, tools, camera and other valuables etc is extremely useful - especially if you plan on doing sightseeing away from the bike.

The mention of backpacks always seems to prompt warnings about terrible consequences, but provided you don't already have a bad back and you don't plan on filling your bag with lead weights, you'll be absolutely fine.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cant remember the last time I went on my bike without a backpack.
But I always have one pannier at least for balast :? when training and two when touring :)
Just prefer the safeness, all the good advise , straps as one with sac, mesh back, mesh straps, lightweight if possible.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.