how mwny hours from a kindle charge

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The Mechanic

Re: how mwny hours from a kindle charge

Post by The Mechanic »

Tigerbiten wrote:
jezer wrote:
The Mechanic wrote:I have the Kindle Paperwhite. It has a backlit touch screen so uses more power than the original. I got it for my birthday on 19th January and so far have charged it twice. I probably use it for 1 hour per day plus the odd couple of extra hours at weekends.

Note to Jezer: don't worry, it can hold over 1000 books. I keep most of mine in Cloud and just download them when I need them. As long as you download all you need for your tour before you leave home.

Good tip, I must learn how to use Cloud :shock:

I keep a copy of all my books on my computer.
I download all my new books from Amazon straight onto the computer.
Then I copy them both to the Kindle and a backup folder on my spare hard drive.
Plus it's easy enough to backup the Kindles drive onto my computer.

Of the 2,440 books on my Kindle, I've paid for less than 100.
The rest are free book downloads ......... :D

TBH I can't see the point of downloading them to your computer, unless you actually read the books from there, let along backing them up. Once you have purchased the books on Amazon, they are always available to you anyway. Same with the freebies. all you need is a wifi connection, which you need for both the kindle and the computer.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
georgew

Post by georgew »

The Mechanic wrote:
Tigerbiten wrote:
jezer wrote:[quote=

TBH I can't see the point of downloading them to your computer, unless you actually read the books from there, let along backing them up. Once you have purchased the books on Amazon, they are always available to you anyway. Same with the freebies. all you need is a wifi connection, which you need for both the kindle and the computer.

By downloading books to a Book management programme on your computer e.g. "Calibre" this does allow you to convert any book in any format to the one used by Kindle. Again it allows you to store books bought from sources other than Amazon and to loan these to other users, something that Amazon, using DRM software does not allow.
Amazon provides an excellent service, however once I've purchased a book from the Kindle store at a price in excess of the printed version, it does annoy me that Amazon denies me the ability to loan this to my friends.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

And all us folk that leave your town behind several times a year have very little access to wifi much of the time, Mechanic. Cloud no use to me.

I also prefer to keep my index simple- just have a few books on at a time; my 3-4 pages is already too many really. Organising on windows is far easier than through a crappy 5-way controller too.
georgew

Post by georgew »

mrjemm wrote:And all us folk that leave your town behind several times a year have very little access to wifi much of the time, Mechanic. Cloud no use to me.

I also prefer to keep my index simple- just have a few books on at a time; my 3-4 pages is already too many really. Organising on windows is far easier than through a crappy 5-way controller too.

This is why I prefer the Kindle version with Wifi and 3G as it does mean that you always have the capacity to download books.

There's something really luxurious in being able to download the morning's Guardian while sipping coffee in a French camp-site.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

George, mine too, but I was meaning Aberdeen in this case, and going offshore, where there's no wifi, 3g, gprs or even gsm. The only way to download is plugged into a PC on the satellite system, and they are generally not keen on you downloading anything. Admittedly, some Norwegian platforms have phone transmitters, but I ain't gonna risk the data bill for that!

Besides, there are thousands of books out and about on hard drives everywhere. All legally downloaded and drm free of course... Though I still buy far more than read free.

Edit, some vessels, etc. do have Wifi, but not many, and not for the oiks generally.
hercule

Post by hercule »

A one who already had the Kindle 3 (K3) (keyboard version), I'm very pleased with the Kindle Paperwhite (PW) I got in December. The reason for switching was because I usually read in situations where the backlight is often necessary, and though I have the Amazon cover with reading light, in many situations (like in bed last thing) I found it just too bright. The Paperwhite in that respect has a screen which is much more adaptable for my needs. It's supposed to be higher resolution too, but I can't tell the difference. I did think the lack of buttons might be a problem, but the touchscreen has proved pretty responsive without being overly so. Plus the PW in its own case is slimmer and lighter than the K3 plus lighted cover. The PW fits comfortably in a big pocket, whereas the K3 was just a bit too bulky. Charging seems to be no more frequent than the K3. Despite what I read in reviews prepurchase, you can switch off the backlight on mine too.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

As [XAP]Bob says, it's the number of page turns that counts (the book reader requires power to 'turn' the page butafter that it doesn't require any power to display the page) - backlighting and WiFi obviously do use power. Somebody once built a gizmo to automate turning the pages and then calculated the results. I can't find the results though so you'll have to go by Bob's estimate.

georgew wrote:By downloading books to a Book management programme on your computer e.g. "Calibre" this does allow you to convert any book in any format to the one used by Kindle. Again it allows you to store books bought from sources other than Amazon and to loan these to other users, something that Amazon, using DRM software does not allow.
Amazon provides an excellent service, however once I've purchased a book from the Kindle store at a price in excess of the printed version, it does annoy me that Amazon denies me the ability to loan this to my friends.

I thought you could lend Kindle books

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... =200549320

or is that just the US?

PS Many eBooks that you purchase from other sources (eg Waterstones/WH Smith/Kobo) use the Adobe DRM system: you cannot convert these to read on a Kindle (at least not with Calibre). Calibre will convert the many books that are available without copy protection from sources such as http://www.feedbooks.com
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I think maybe I am in the minority in finding the paperwhite's features outweighed by the drawbacks I experienced. Likewise, the main reason I went for it was the lighting, really the only reason, but have gone back to using the bedside lamp, and feeling a little mean when at home. Sorry Madame!

In it's silicon case, my keyboard jobbie fits happily in my leg pocket or daypack (back facing sleeve pocket, screen inwards). I've only broken them with drops and knocks, though one was washed over by lots of seawater also, after dropping about 15' from my pocket (sitting cross-legged by a railing); I am quite sure it was dead before the sea claimed it!

Between the paperwhite going back, and getting this keyboard, I had a simple little black one which went back through poor QC- one page turn button half depressed so as to be extra sensitive out of the box, and something else I can't recall (screen fault?). QC of keyboards seemed better.

The screen touch page turning was fine if using two hands, but how I hold it with just the one (most of the time) made it awkward (for me).
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I've only ever bought one Kindle book off Amazon. Life of Pi for 20p. The rest, I have downloaded free Kindle books, or used the ones I bought off e-bay.
I bought a DVD of 5000 books for £3. Just drag and drop straight into the Kindle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have an orginal Kindle (a Christmas pressie the year they came out), and it takes about two weeks for the charge to go down, with wireless off.

However, be aware that none of the Kindles turn themselves off automatically. And they also all have some problems if the battery get too low. If one fails to recharge them when the 'low battery' indicator tells one to they may reset themselves, or require a hard reset before they can be charged.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
georgew

Post by georgew »

Vorpal wrote:I have an orginal Kindle (a Christmas pressie the year they came out), and it takes about two weeks for the charge to go down, with wireless off.

However, be aware that none of the Kindles turn themselves off automatically.
And they also all have some problems if the battery get too low. If one fails to recharge them when the 'low battery' indicator tells one to they may reset themselves, or require a hard reset before they can be charged.

After ten minutes without a page being turned the Kindle switches off automatically. There is no battery drain as a page is being shown anyway as no power is required.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It doesn't switch off. It goes into sleep mode. I and several of my friends (with various Kindle devices) have had this problem. http://blog.laptopmag.com/kindle-critical-battery-error
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Kindle does PDF as well.

I used to save all the documents I wanted (itineraries, guides, local cycle maps, town maps) in PDF and then transfer them.
Saves lots of paper
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

A useful trick I have just learned is you don't need a 3G Kindle to download new books if out of range of a normal wifi signal. Just set up your 'phone to act as a local wifi hotspot. On an Android 'phone go to Settings - Wireless and Networks - Tethering and portable hotspot. The latter you may have to access by pressing the More... option on the menu. The wifi signal will have a password which you can view and set in the Configure hotspot section. Then get the Kindle to look for the signal and after entering the password you will be away. Just remember to turn off the wifi on both devices afterwards to save battery power.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Vorpal wrote:It doesn't switch off. It goes into sleep mode. I and several of my friends (with various Kindle devices) have had this problem. http://blog.laptopmag.com/kindle-critical-battery-error

Curious. That article is not very clear about what causes this. I am quite surprised to hear about the critical battery thing- how long do you have to forget your kindle for to experience this? I guess it would need to be rather longer than I ever leave mine! Several weeks with some power, several days after a 'please charge' message?

I think so far the longest I've left mine without accessing it could be a week or so, but that's very unusual, and it would've had some charge before- it's only ever gone to 'please charge' (as I am getting today...) through use.

And that's an interesting tip, Beekeeper. Wish I'd known about it pre 3g (in my hands I mean)- the only reason I got 3g was due to last time I broke my non-3g there were no more available with keyboard, so I was given the option of keyboard 3g or new style non 3g. Always preferred the ergonomics of the keyboard, so a 'no-brainer' (ugh).

I will say about the PW, I did find the look up features simpler to use- Wikipeadia etc. I used frequently with that model, but only dictionary with old style.