CTC Technical Information

meic

CTC Technical Information

Post by meic »

I have just been looking for the technical information that was on the old CTC (not forum) website and I can not find it in the new one.
The new website does have a basic naming of parts but the old collection of in-depth stuff is nowhere that I can find.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Re: CTC Technical Information

Post by Brucey »

quite so. I have found that many of the old (- and substantially less dumbed down...?) pages are hidden in an 'archive' section and may be found via google, but not necessarily the search function on the site.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gaz

Post by gaz »

I wasn't a regular user of the old site's technical section but those bits I did access, Shimergo, Wheel Sizes and Gear Inches are all readily locatable on the new site.

Daft as this question sounds, can you pin-point what isn't there that used to be?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
CJ

Post by CJ »

I am even more sorry that the work I put into the old website (that provided most of most-viewed pages on that site), was not transferred and made at least as easy to find on the new site. But that was not part of the project brief. So it falls to me to re-produce those pages :roll: some of which I have done.

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the 'Library' section into which those pages are supposed to go, that means other, less useful 'Articles' pop up instead when one searches - which isn't great motivation for putting any more information in there. Maybe I'll abandon the 'Library' and make the good stuff into stand-alone 'Articles' instead. :?

I agree, it's all very perplexing and disappointing. Fortunately there's lots of good stuff on this forum, and it's constantly updated by you guys. :D
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's the old thing about there being two sorts of knowledge and one of the good points of the internet is that it helps with the "knowing where to look" type of knowledge. Librarians are constantly faced with having to make decisions about what to keep and what must go, based on constraints of space etc. Not so with the internet.

It all smacks of being over-eager to dump anything remotely connected with the past, but no doubt it's just the usual half-specced IT.
robgul

Post by robgul »

thirdcrank wrote:It's the old thing about there being two sorts of knowledge and one of the good points of the internet is that it helps with the "knowing where to look" type of knowledge. Librarians are constantly faced with having to make decisions about what to keep and what must go, based on constraints of space etc. Not so with the internet.

It all smacks of being over-eager to dump anything remotely connected with the past, but no doubt it's just the usual half-specced IT.

My understanding, from several sources, is that it's just that - the whole "new website" thing was never, ever thought through in a professional, business-like "what does the customer need" way. Non untypical - start the development and coding and then ask what the objectives are ....

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

CJ wrote:I am even more sorry that the work I put into the old website (that provided most of most-viewed pages on that site), was not transferred

Could you get the website authors to extract your old technical pages from their "code source history", rea-add to new website, and place a link within the new website to it:

the simpler layout wouldn't matter to most and probably loads faster.

Alternately, the wayback machine will have archived the old website at various dates, e.g.:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120106202607/http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3331

Also, is the extra info on hub dynamos available?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)