Does anyone else find........

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Does anyone else find........

Post by reohn2 »

.........the Roman Catholic church anything more than a charade?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Re: Does anyone else find........

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:.........the Roman Catholic church anything more than a charade?

I think you're being far too kind... :wink:
meic

Post by meic »

Why single out the Catholic Church? :wink:

The organisations and hierarchies of the religions tend to be rather dubious but quite a lot of the individual members are OK.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:.........the Roman Catholic church anything more than a charade?

I think you're being far too kind... :wink:

It's in my nature :)
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:Why single out the Catholic Church? :wink:

The organisations and hierarchies of the religions tend to be rather dubious but quite a lot of the individual members are OK.

Agreed,but it's in the news again as such an obviously flawed system as to be unable to escape scrutiny :wink:
W H Auden
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

We plan to visit the Vatican when in Rome later this month. Want me to pop by and have a chat with them about it?

If this was the reign of the Papal Pitbull, I wonder how bad it's gonna get with the new guy.

Come to think of it, I've not seen any adverts in the press, so I think they're not advertising externally... I reckon they should.
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Well if we are going to be this controversial - I could wear a helmet or just pray :twisted:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

hexhome wrote:Well if we are going to be this controversial - I could wear a helmet or just pray :twisted:

Yes, but which way do you face to pray? Towards Sakai*, or Vicenza**?

*Shimano HQ
**Campagnolo HQ
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
dodger

Post by dodger »

You need to differentiate between the Church and the hierarchy. The Church is actually the people, and there should be no question about allowing them to believe and practice their religion. It's not the Church that is the problem.
However, the hierarchy, as in all large organisations, are often more interested in power - just watch the jockeying to be the next pope.
The biggest problem with the Catholic Church has been the power imbalance between the clergy and the congregation. Those who can wield some sort of power over others and do so to satisfy their own gratification are not just in the Catholic Church but appear everywhere, including, it seems, the BBC. The Catholic Church clergy, however, that have abused others have a particularly unpleasant streak, exacerbated by the frustrations of supposedly being celibate, and they have used their supposed holiness to keep people quiet, just like Jimmy Savile used his celebrity status.
Ever watched the Magdelene Sisters film?? So accurate a picture of some of the clergy (including nuns and monks, especially the infamous Christian Brothers)
BUT - they're not all like that, even though sometimes you wonder!!
jezer

Post by jezer »

mrjemm wrote:We plan to visit the Vatican when in Rome later this month. Want me to pop by and have a chat with them about it?

If this was the reign of the Papal Pitbull, I wonder how bad it's gonna get with the new guy.

Come to think of it, I've not seen any adverts in the press, so I think they're not advertising externally... I reckon they should.

Quite right, I was going to apply for the job, but as an atheist I fear I might not have made the shortlist :lol:
Power to the pedals
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Which would surely then be excluding you on religious grounds, which is a big no-no!
meic

Post by meic »

Somebody who is infallible, speaks to god and does what he truly believes is right and considers himself a Saint already. Has bought peace to the Middle East, scourged dictators and ended poverty, discrimination and disease

Step Forward: Pope Tony Blair. :lol:

Unfortunately the vacancy came up a bit too early for him.
Yma o Hyd
jezer

Post by jezer »

Of course, Tony Blair, the ideal man for the job. Oh hold on, I don't expect it pays enough :shock:
Power to the pedals
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cherie, then? :shock:

Seriously, though, I think the office of Pope should be held in abeyance, sine die. Maybe if the Catholic Church can be forced to put its affairs to rights without one, it will discover that it doesn't need one after all.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
meic

Post by meic »

You cant really be a Papist without a Pope!
Yma o Hyd