Wood protection

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

Wood protection

Post by Si »

I need to hammer some 2x1 stakes into the ground in my garden. I realise that they are going to rot away eventually, no matter what I do, but I'd like them to last a few years. What would you suggest that I treat them with to give them a bit of protection first?
Afraid that laying concrete or using metal/plastic collars, etc is not an option - they just need to go straight in to the earth.
cheers
gaz

Re: Wood protection

Post by gaz »

Hammering in wooden stakes? You are a vampire slayer and I claim my £5.

If possible use pressure treated timber. End grain preservative should also be useful. Two coats are usually recommended, let it dry between coats and before burial.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

I'd purchase wood that has been pressure treated. 'Tanalised' is one such.

An inexpensive source of 2x1 is tile batten - treated timber intended for hanging tiles on roofs. We use a lot of it for poultry runs, fruit cage uprights, etc.

Should last 15 to 20 years in the open, a bit less in t'ground.

Nick
No pasaran
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

don't use planed timber, use sawn as the grain of the timber is still relatively closed. with planed timber the grain is more open. selct your timber and stand it in a tub of preservative so that it creeps up the grain internally by capilliary action. If you can get treated timber in 2x1 then so much better.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1 for all the replies.
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

Alas, I already have the wood - a collection of random off-cuts...some of it appears to be pretreated but other bits are just plain sawn. Thus wondering what I can put on these? A browse in the local DIY shows a staggering array of different products all claiming to be the bee's knees.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The tins are usually huge, aimed at treating an entire shed, fence or the like. Probably too much for your intended use. My garage has left overs from pots of decking preservative, end grain preservative, fence preservative, etc.

I don't think Royal Mail would like it if I sent you some, they seem to get edgy about liquids especially when they are repackaged in unmarked containers.

Ask friends if they have any leftovers lurking in their sheds, failing that buy the smallest/cheapest available tin.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ferrit worrier wrote:don't use planed timber, use sawn as the grain of the timber is still relatively closed. with planed timber the grain is more open. selct your timber and stand it in a tub of preservative so that it creeps up the grain internally by capilliary action. If you can get treated timber in 2x1 then so much better.

Malc

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Cuprinol 5 star is the bench mark timber treatment in a can - but it is very expensive. Creosote is very effective and a lot cheaper but more difficult to come by these days at it is carcinogenic.
pstallwood

Post by pstallwood »

Creosote is illegal to use unless you are a "professional", see:-

http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm

The local DIY shop won't have it.

Peter
Si

Post by Si »

pstallwood wrote:Creosote is illegal to use unless you are a "professional", see:-

http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm

The local DIY shop won't have it.

Peter

Blimey, my mum's local DIY shop has gallons of the stuff - I've been painting her fence, and myself, with it all summer!
pstallwood

Post by pstallwood »

Buy some now and keep quiet about it! I would if I knew where the shop is.

Peter
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I bought a large can of Langlow wood preservative approx. 30 years ago.
Didn't use much and the can was languishing on the top shelf in my garage for the next 15 years or so.
When we returned from holiday one weekend, I wondered what the awful stink was and realised that the can had rusted through. The preservative had run all along the 3 wooden shelves below.
Needless to say that the shelves are still as good as new. :)
I managed to save quite a bit of the preservative and put it into a glass jar.
As I'm about to plant some fence posts in the ground, I've today liberally soaked the timbers with the rest of the Langlow.
Don't suppose they still sell it these days, but mine turned out to be a bit of a bargain. :wink:
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I use creosote and stand the wood in a tub and brush it on frequently for a couple of days. Has certainly worked for some years now -at least 15 I think. The stuff you are not allowed to use is proper creosote of course and not the substitute stuff you get nowadays which to be fair still seems to work. I use it for stobs(fence posts) and a deer fence I had to build as well as a myriad of posts around the garden.
eclipse

Post by eclipse »

daft though it might seem, google glycol antifreeze as a wood preservative; some swear by it,s antifungal properties. some fellow also rated it as effective treatment for fungal toenail infetions. By the way, I accept no responsibility for any localised envionmental/ medical catastrophies!