New to mtb'ing advice needed

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Orange-diva

New to mtb'ing advice needed

Post by Orange-diva »

Hi, new to mtb'ing and I am looking for decent places to go close to west mids. Have done cannock, Sutton park and today tried wyre forest.... Get the impression that at wyre forest to do any decent trails we need to source the unmarked trails?? Can anyone help with this?? Also any other decent rides too. Thanks in advance x
123ttam

Re: New to mtb'ing advice needed

Post by 123ttam »

Hi

I live around north Brum and know cannock chase and sutton park well.

are you looking for 100% off road (trails and Trail Centres) or Off road routes with short distances on road.

Matt
Si

Post by Si »

Try this forum http://www.bikeadventuresuk.com/forum/index.php - used to be lots of people who rode the Chase, Wyre, etc there, and who know the best trails.

Wyre forest is well worth exploring - will take you a while to find the best trails but they are worth it....IMO better than Cannock, but YMMV..

You've also got a load of BW between Sutton and Lichfield (inc the Hopwas woods trails), and another load out side of Stourbridge that can connect up to Kinver and Clent. - see relevant OS maps for details.
Orange-diva

Post by Orange-diva »

we did see that there were lots of trails off through the forest BUT there were signs saying no cycling?? We parked at the visitor centre but apparently if we park somewhere else we can get straight onto the XC trails any idea where that other parking would be? We would prefer trails to road work and just want to chop and change it a little, thanks for your input both x
Si

Post by Si »

We used to start from the car park by Earnwood Copse and the missile testing station, but that was only because we came down from the north- really, it doesn't matter where you start from as you can easily reach all the edges in a ride. There are nice trails all over the Wyre Forest - they just take a bit of finding. And have to admit, it's been a while since I was there so afraid I'm no good at giving directions!
3spd

Post by 3spd »

Think the latest issue of MBR has small feature on Brum (no not the annoying car :wink: )
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Go to your local library and borrow an O.S. map of the area.
This will show all the bridleways which you are legally allowed to ride on.
It may also show various tracks which you can use as well.
Some "forest" areas have MTB route maps which are available at the visitor centres.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Si

Post by Si »

Problem is that an OS map is next to useless when trying to find all the good singletrack in the Wyre Forest and not much better in Cannock or Sutton either. Just doesn't go into fine enough detail - not that I blame it for this as many of the tracks are little more than deer paths and they change route year on year. To find the best tracks you really need to either hunt them out yourself or get a guide to show you.

They are fairly OK, however, for the BWs out between NB and Lichfield, or up the side of Stourbridge.