Three-quarter-length trousers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ed_b

Three-quarter-length trousers

Post by ed_b »

Hi forum,

I was at the lights the other day and admired a fellow-cyclist's 3-quarter-length trousers. He said they were by Swrve - which are on the expensive side. He also recommended a cheaper alternative, but I've forgotten the name!

If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks!

EB
GavinC

Re: Three-quarter-length trousers

Post by GavinC »

I like my Endura Zyme 3/4 lengths :D
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

I have some enduras and altura's. The former are much nicer.

a link
http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/c ... ers-tights
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

How do they differ from 'Plusses'?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

use decathlon's
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Big T

Post by Big T »

Ayesha wrote:How do they differ from 'Plusses'?

They are much tighter, like long lycra shorts or cut off roubaix tights. I used to have a pair of Tudor Sports Plus 2's. I now have the Endura 3/4 bibs.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Big T wrote:
Ayesha wrote:How do they differ from 'Plusses'?

They are much tighter, like long lycra shorts or cut off roubaix tights. I used to have a pair of Tudor Sports Plus 2's. I now have the Endura 3/4 bibs.
I'm not sure what you're comparing to the plusses? The Endura 3/4 Zyme shorts mentioned above are definately more like plus 4's than lycra shorts.

I have the Hummvee 3/4's. They're pretty good. They were better some years ago when Endura used a lighter weight fabric. I think they may have sussed that, as they now do a Hummvee lightweight version - that's £10 more :roll: .

The Zyme features an even heavier fabric. This is fine for short distances and durability, but lighter fabrics are the way for longer distance cycling - less friction on the skin, which can reduce movement, although this may be partly psychological.

The Zyme is a nice looking short, but I had a bad purchase experience. Wearing them, I soon noticed that the right inside leg side seam would readily ride round the front and across the knee, which made for very uncomfortable riding. I was dismayed that the replacement pair weren't much better. I carefully measured the leg panels - they were definitely asymmetrical.
I took a refund.
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

CREPELLO wrote:I have the Hummvee 3/4's. They're pretty good. They were better some years ago when Endura used a lighter weight fabric. I think they may have sussed that, as they now do a Hummvee lightweight version - that's £10 more :roll: .

The Zyme features an even heavier fabric. This is fine for short distances and durability, but lighter fabrics are the way for longer distance cycling - less friction on the skin, which can reduce movement, although this may be partly psychological.

The Zyme is a nice looking short, but I had a bad purchase experience. Wearing them, I soon noticed that the right inside leg side seam would readily ride round the front and across the knee, which made for very uncomfortable riding. I was dismayed that the replacement pair weren't much better. I carefully measured the leg panels - they were definitely asymmetrical.
I took a refund.

I had the opposite experience :)

My first pair of Hummvee 3/4 starting falling to pieces after about a month. The replacement pair had badly finished stitching around the knee which rubbed painfully after a couple of miles riding.

By comparison my Zyme's have had no problems. Which I suppose goes to show Endura's Quality Control isn't up to much!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes Hummvee 3/4's are excellent.

Great for general off bike use as well.

Also grreat for cycle touring/camping

No idea if mine (had for several years) are the lightweight version or not - maybe they are as I do seem to remember looking at more recent stock and something didn't seem quite as nice about them.

I don't like the insert though - waste of money - I prefer to use separate padded shorts or lightweight cheapish lycra shorts.
Sweep
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Having had a quick look at the Swerve site, I bet the trews you saw were rather more stylish that the extended baggy shorts that Endura and Altura make. In fact closer to being narrow plusses I suppose. a bit trendy for me but actually rather better for cycling in that they have no spare fabric and tend to be less "nylony".
If the OP wants something less flappy he might be better off looking at non cycling stuff with shorts underneath although given the current trend even that will give the Don Estelle look.
Something that does work well would be Rohan breeches.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

My experience was I was given a pair of Tudor Plusses by a bloke who felt stupid wearing long socks over the knee and elasticated Plus fours.
I used them a couple of times in the deep cold winter. Oh yes, I felt stupid.

I bought a pair of Tudor longs, which I thought were less stupid. I still use them after eighteen years.

I see guys out wearing what can be described as ‘below the knees jungle trousers’ over the top of black skin tights. On race bikes ??

If that’s what’s fashionable these days, I’ll bow out.
Big T

Post by Big T »

I've just bought a new pair of Tudor Sports longs, which I use for commuting. I wear the 3/4 's for spring and autumn club rides but they are a bit tight and revealing for the commute, which ends with a walk through the office to the changing rooms.

These are my 3/4's:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... 4-ec002078

The Tudor sports are surprisingly warm and comfortable, given that they are using outdated fabrics.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

How do they differ from Knicks?
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Another wearer of 3/4 humvees. And another who likes them a lot despite the poor QC- my pocket zip stitching died within a very short time, but I still wear a lot. Was needing them, so didn't bother returning.

And like them so much, I do the tights underneath thing when cold- I like pockets and not showing my bum shape in tights, so these on top make sense to me. So what if it looks poncy if it works? I couldn't be accused of a fashion victim!
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I've used a pair of Castelli 3/4 bibs for the last 7-8 years, brilliant at keeping the knees warmer during the cooler summer rides and with a pair of full length tights over the top fantastic for really cold winter days/nights.
Here's a search for 3/4 lengths on ebay, plenty of decent stuff to be had at good prices
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cycling-/7294 ... 2F4+tights