Does anyone else find........

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

Re: Does anyone else find........

Post by Si »

nope - "so is danfoto" as in ..."is quoted as saying" (two posts up).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Si wrote:nope - "so is danfoto" as in ..."is quoted as saying" (two posts up).

Oh yeah...
I knew I'd seen that in print somewhere recently! :lol: :oops:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Is that two posts up or two Popes up(their own........) :shock: ?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:

Is that two posts up or two Popes up(their own........) :shock: ?

There almost always have been two Popes up, at any one time. Now there are three, if you count ex-pope Ratzi as still qualifying as a Pope.
The third one is this guy. Not a lotta people know that, I reckon. I've caught people out with the trick question "which Pope visited Brighton in recent years?" Answer is the Coptic predecessor, Pope Shenouda, who came to consecrate the Coptic church in Davigdor Road. Not a lotta people know that, either...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

There are four, according to Wikipedia (so it must be true), not counting the former Benedict VI. You can look them up at Pope (disambiguation).
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

We were in St Pete's square on Sunday- had gone to see the Vatican Museum (no chance!), but realised our mistake very quickly. I've never been amongst so many people, it was very uncomfortable. Had I known that evil dictator was there, I'd have turned us around and gone somewhere with better human rights history, like the Colosseum. :evil:
Si

Post by Si »

Problem with religious threads is that they tend always to sail close to the wind, someone gets upset and no good comes out of it for anyone.

Please try not to run the risk of this going that way. Phrases like "the evil dictator" don't help.

At the same time we don't want to stop people discussing, and even criticising, religion but we would ask that people do it in a non-emotive way and do everything that they can make sure that they do not offend adherents of whichever religion we might be discussing.

Yes, I know it's a fine line to tread, and that what might be seen as offensive to one might not be seen so to others - that's why we cringe when we see another religion thread appear, thus we'd ask that you try extra hard to do all that you can not to offend.

Thank you.
meic

Post by meic »

I thought that the difference between an evil dictator and a strong leader is that you are allowed to call the strong leader an evil dictator.

Unless they are in a country who are acting in their national interest rather than ours. Like Zimbabwe for example.
Guess who was in St Peter's square the other day? :wink:
Yma o Hyd
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Better lighten the discussion up a bit then. The Vatican City has an area of 0.44 square kilometres. Thus, it has a pope density of just over 2 popes per square kilometer. (Courtesy of QI)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

meic wrote:Guess who was in St Peter's square the other day? :wink:

mrjemm?
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I hope you realise it was not Papa Frankie I was referring to...

And besides me'n Madame, there were rather a many many folk. I am sure some of them were quite pleasant folk.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Si wrote:.........Phrases like "the evil dictator" don't help.............

I think you're right Si - don't think I'm arguing here, but didn't the phrase refer to Robert Mugabe? - and if so, how else would you describe him? He was at the pope's "Do".
Si

Post by Si »

Did it? Oh, in that case apologies.....I think that we can all agree on that designation for him without falling out. That's the problem with the interent I guess - pretty easy to misunderstand the meanings when you are dipping in and out of threads randomly....must pay attention better!
meic

Post by meic »

Yes, that is how he is seen here in the UK.

Dont let his enormous advances in healthcare and education since taking over from non-democratic apartheid rule or the elections or that he is in a power sharing government get in the way of that description.
Yma o Hyd
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

meic wrote:.............enormous advances in healthcare and education since taking over from non-democratic apartheid rule or the elections or that he is in a power sharing government get in the way of that description..........

Oh come on meic, come on...........the real independance wasn't brokered by him anyway..........
Last edited by JohnW on 22 Mar 2013, 10:57pm, edited 1 time in total.