Folder for Touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Thanks to all for your responses. After a lot of deliberation I have today ordered two Airnimal Joey Explores.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
SP

Folder for touring

Post by SP »

Hello Pauline,

The Speed TR looks good in the spec Dahon give and you obviously like it. I was wondering about this bike or a full frame steel tourer. Have you toured on a conventional steel tourer like the Galaxy and if so how do they compare?

I would be grateful for any comparisons.

Thanks,

Steve P
V4281051

Folder for touring.

Post by V4281051 »

If you look at the forum that Dahon actually run then you would be put off buying any Dahon.I had nothing but trouble with the hinges on mine .My brother has also.
The company that supplies them in Britain has not got the best reputation in the world for supplying spare parts.I know Dahon make a quarter of a million plus folders a year but there are too many reports of things going wrong.One poor chap in Canada had his handlebar stem snap while he was riding and this was on a fairly new bike..You make get a good one..but beware...
Chris
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

I have just come back from a camping trip to East Anglia using mainly Sustrans routes which involved quite a bit of gravel and rough stuff in places.
I had two rear panniers plus a waterproof sack on the rear rack and it handled it well.
I used a Marathon wider tyre on the rear to spread the load but retained the narrow Grand Prix on the front.
Despite the plans and all good advice due to mismanagement we rode 80 miles one day with this gear so the Bike Friday has proven itself to me.

Why did I use the Bike Friday in preference to my full size frame? I could not book the bike on the Kings Cross to Cambridge train and was told you have to turn up and hope. There was no provision for bikes on this train