Selfish & Aggressive Fishermen

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

Re: Selfish & Aggressive Fishermen

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:
Ayesha wrote:What's a 'Towpath'?

what's a 23mm tyre?

That question is best answered by saying what it's not:
Mind you, take one of those along the towpath, and you'll soon clear it of anglers... :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:

Watch out for the lightning bolts.......you used the "b" word, you'll now have both the fisherfolk and the narrow-boaters after us!

NOOOOOOOO there not Barges EEK! :shock: :) :) :)

TBH I've found the fishermen to be OK....just as long as you don't try to bunny hop their £2k carbon fibre poles.

More EEKS,not recommended :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gripper_stebson

Post by gripper_stebson »

Whenever there is an official fishing competition at the canal near where I live, they always close the section of the canal off and give advance notice of the event.
byegad

Post by byegad »

james01 wrote:We've experienced loud sighs and similar body language from the odd fisherman. Not yet had the pleasure of the full verbals :oops:

A good response is to say 'thank you very, very much' with exaggerated politeness when they move.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
gaz

Post by gaz »

A potential gesture of friendship.

You could carry some in your saddlebag to be offered in such situations. Although don't forget to "share with care". :wink:

I don't need any myself, the local canal is a fish-free zone.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

But it's not always the fishermen at fault. We were fishing on the Chichester Canal many years ago and a cyclist came along the bank with his foot out kicking all the rods and equipment into the water. He obviously wasn't too clever as he then came back down the towpath, whereupon my Dad's friend stuck a bank stick in his front wheel. Loads of twanging from breaking spokes and curses from the cyclist who ended up in the water. He calmed down somewhat when presented with a police warrant card. "Do unto others......"
hondated

Post by hondated »

Graham O wrote: He calmed down somewhat when presented with a police warrant card. "Do unto others......"

Brilliant I cannot calculate how number of times in my life when I would have loved to be able to do that.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Another angling tale from my former colleague involved a Leeds City Police Angling Club match on a river. A member collapsed and died by his peg which was well down the river bank. The deceased's brother was also fishing so he carried his body up the bank. There then followed a discussion as to whether the match should be abandoned out of respect for the deceased and his bereaved brother - both of whom were serving officers. The colleague who recounted the story was miffed that the almost unanimous decision to abandon the competition was taken.
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

Apparently fishermen i Sunderland are blaming otters and wading birds or the increasing numbers of mussel shells being left on the riverside section of the C2C from the city center to the sea. These otters must be rally good climbers to be able to scale the vertical pilings that make up the banks along that stretch! Sunderland - the wildlife paradise!

Must be the otters that use the area around the sailing club as toilet as well :(
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I can remember an article on the Beeb some years ago where a fisherman asked about the death of swans from swallowing lost tackle replied "Well, they shouldn't be there, should they?"

'Nuff said.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

Was it a legal stretch of the towpath to be cycling on? In practice, this rarely makes any difference, but technically, on the Leeds-Liverpool canal, for example, cyclists are only allowed on some sections.
peter236uk

Post by peter236uk »

I do both fish and cycle and have met both types of people that are inconsiderate to others. I know many Anglers pay fortunes for poles well in excess of a £1000 they also have to pay to fish and quite alot in some case.

I do however think everyone should be considerate to others what ever sport they choose to follow. It might have been wise to ask if they could move the equipment to let you past.

I think touching another persons propoerty is very unwise be it there bike or fishing tackle.

Its worth remembering that many of these toe paths have been restored with the help of anglers and there accociated clubs.

I guess its tollerance all round
horizon

Post by horizon »

peter236uk wrote:I guess its tollerance all round

No it isn't. My experience of the canal paths in Staffordshire was that they were promoted as safe cycling routes due to the intolerance of motorists towards cyclists on the road. Provided cyclists are invisible, motorists don't care that the hard work of getting along with other completely different towpath users (dogs on long leads, push chairs, groups of teenagers, anglers etc) is done by someone else. I actually don't believe that cyclists do belong on tow paths despite many enjoyable but slow rides along them. Cyclists really have to give way to other users. Two weeks ago I sampled some of the delights of the Manchester canal system but this was done by weaving slowly between families and children. The real criminals are not the anglers but the highway engineers who have irresponsibly promoted tow paths as an alternative to making roads safer for cycling.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
tonythompson

Post by tonythompson »

Being an avid cyclist and I own a narrow boat it works like this on the relevant forums:

Narrow boaters hate cyclists on tow paths and fishermen

Fishermen hate narrow boaters and cyclists.

As both are probably motorists then they join forces to hate cyclist.

So with my cycling hat/helmet on who can we hate? Of course dog owners this way we can join forces with the boaters and fishers. Except I also have two dogs. Life is so complex at times :?
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

tonythompson wrote:Being an avid cyclist and I own a narrow boat it works like this on the relevant forums:

Narrow boaters hate cyclists on tow paths and fishermen

Fishermen hate narrow boaters and cyclists.

As both are probably motorists then they join forces to hate cyclist.

So with my cycling hat/helmet on who can we hate? Of course dog owners this way we can join forces with the boaters and fishers. Except I also have two dogs. Life is so complex at times :?

Or you could decide not to hate...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.