Tortec Epic and expedition racks advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

Tortec Epic and expedition racks advice

Post by 1982john »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to do 3 month camping/hostel European tour this summer.

I'm leaning towards the tortec epic stainless steel rear rack and their front expedition rack for this tour.

The total cost is about £80 for the two vs around £130 for tubus. I'm not saying tubus isn't worth the extra cost but for what i'm doing would the tortec racks be fine?
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tortec-epic- ... prod29059/

Thanks for your help
elduderino12

Re: Tortec Epic and expedition racks advice

Post by elduderino12 »

I've a tortec expedition rear rack - used for around 8 months worth of fully loaded touring in total (carried some really heavy loads at times too) and it's been faultless. Can be had for around £25 too :)
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Thanks for the reply. Think I might as well go for it. My current rack is a older tortec one and it's done a good job.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

I agree with eldude. If ££ matter, there are cheaper, reliable options. Blackburn (inventor of the front lowrider rack!) offer lifetime warranty on their MTN1, £15. Their front racks are similar prices. Hamax make steel racks designed for carrying panniers and children simultaneously, £28.

The weak points are the bolts. Racks rated to higher weights may use bigger bolts, raising question of what size bolts your frame takes. I read of a trick, btw, of putting the bolt through in the opposite direction, with the head on the inside, so that if the thing snaps off, the bit left in the frame will be the bit with the head - easier to remove.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I am tempted by the epic also, but nobody ever mentions it. Cheapest I've found it is at Ribble- http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ortrack330

Looked at it in the flesh and wouldn't have guessed it as stainless, being kinda brushed to look like aluminium. When my aluminum tortec hybrid dies- is wearing away slowly at the pannier mount positions, will likely get one.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I was unaware of that Tortec stainless rack 1982john.

I have a Tubus on one bike but if anything I think I maybe prefer the position of the light mount on the Tortec.

I have the same alloy Tortec expedition rack as on another bike eldude and have also found it excellent - a very good design - though it hasn't been tested with long heavy use.

I think I'd go for the Epic and not worry that you were penny-pinching. Maybve if you are planning a world tour save up for a Tubus but otherwise I'm sure the Tortec is fine.
Sweep