Bags for straight handlebars

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ukdodger

Bags for straight handlebars

Post by ukdodger »

This might be a stupid question but is there a bag and an arrangement that will fit straight bars without cramping the brake cables. Maybe one that moves the bag more forward perhaps.
mrjemm

Re: Bags for straight handlebars

Post by mrjemm »

You can use any bag if you put some noodles into the equation... As far as I can tell anyway- I've put them on mine, and have happily fitted the ortlieb. Not the usual flat bars, but they'd be the same.

In case you're unsure what a noodle is, it's the little angled tube that is usually used at a V-brake to get the cable coming in at the right angle.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

mrjemm wrote:You can use any bag if you put some noodles into the equation... As far as I can tell anyway- I've put them on mine, and have happily fitted the ortlieb. Not the usual flat bars, but they'd be the same.

In case you're unsure what a noodle is, it's the little angled tube that is usually used at a V-brake to get the cable coming in at the right angle.

Thanks. Noodles it is.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

How big do you want the bag to be... have a small bag that is made out of a fairly rigid material that just has two velcro straps to loop it the handlebars... it will take a small race cape and odd bits like a phone or wallet... ours came from a certain Swiss bike shop brand in Mallorca but could be made I guess.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

eileithyia wrote:How big do you want the bag to be... have a small bag that is made out of a fairly rigid material that just has two velcro straps to loop it the handlebars... it will take a small race cape and odd bits like a phone or wallet... ours came from a certain Swiss bike shop brand in Mallorca but could be made I guess.

Nothing much just stuff like a place for a map on top, stuff to eat, somewhere to stow your glasses and gloves. I'm fed up with having to get off the bike to get stuff out of the panniers.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Klickfix do an extender for their handlebar mount - lots of bags use this fitting.

"Extends the Klickfix (KF850) by 43mm to cater for various handlebar shapes. Allows more space for cables to be routed."
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

LollyKat wrote:Klickfix do an extender for their handlebar mount - lots of bags use this fitting.

"Extends the Klickfix (KF850) by 43mm to cater for various handlebar shapes. Allows more space for cables to be routed."

I use the above. Perfect. Main value is to get handroom, actually!
alldownhill

Post by alldownhill »

Thorn make a useful T shaped accessory bar which replaces some spacers on the steerer tube. They come in various sizes and are handy for having the bar bag lower if required. An additional benefit is that if have to turn the bars for transit the clamp on the T bar maintains the loading on the headset bearing.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-accessory-bar-t-shaped-105-mm-extension-0-deg-prod11040/
dbascent1986

Post by dbascent1986 »

Carradice zip roll fits if you flip the stem, but brake-gear cables will restrict access somewhat - I swapped a saddle bag for a zip roll on the bar for the commute and find it more convenient
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Gearoidmuar wrote:
LollyKat wrote:Klickfix do an extender for their handlebar mount - lots of bags use this fitting.

Thanks Gary. Am I reading that right - from handlebar to the front edge of the item is 43mm. Dont think that will be enough.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Thanks for that extender link - I didn't know they existed. The only problem now :roll: is that the map will be too far away to read!!!
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

ukdodger wrote:
Gearoidmuar wrote:

Thanks Gary. Am I reading that right - from handlebar to the front edge of the item is 43mm. Dont think that will be enough.

My experience is that if the brake cables or gear cables are somewhat "diverted" by contact with a bag, it makes little or no difference to their function.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I can attest to what Gearoidmuar says; not contact with a bag, but very 'diverted'-

The gear cables go under the tape around that weld angle there, albeit with the gentlest curve I can manage. They're restricted a little, but working fine.

You can also see an example of using noodles on the brake cables, though this one was just so they didn't go way out front.