YHA dead?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pioneer

Re: YHA dead?

Post by pioneer »

I'll continue to use the YHA if: there is one (or more) convienent to the cycle tour I'm taking and it's not fully booked with a school visit (always a risk when you yourself can only holiday during school holiday times). It's a shame I guess but the "business model" for the YHA has simply come and gone. Things have moved on. Many just don't want that sort of accomodation. Perhaps if you've been brought up in the scouting,boys club or cadet type organisations then roughing it a little really is no hardship and may even be preferred. (i.e. like myself). I think the only way the YHA can survive now is to drastically reduce the number of hostels into the most used and popular ones.
As a club, we now often use independent hostels, converted barns etc for our weekend tours. Quite a bit posher and better appointed than many YHA's and the price is not greatly different either so somehow, they can be made to work on a small scale. Maybe that's some of the answer. Maybe the YHA just grew too big and unwieldy to manage and govern properly. I'm away touring in a couple of weeks (it's a sort of a spring pilgrimage now to my favourite area) and will be hostelling. So for me, for now, the YHA is still OK.
horizon

Post by horizon »

indio32 wrote:
horizon wrote: Yes, you can get an excellent B&B for £25.00 but it won't be in the same place on the same night as when the YHA costs £18.00.

In fairness the £18 you quote won't include any sort of breakfast which will add £5 nor will it include WiFi to update your blog/check email etc which will be another £5 then to top it all off you'll get kicked out at 10am unless you've opted to pay the extra £3.50 to £5 for "late" check-out which is noon! remember thats 10am on a Sunday morning which means getting up in time to shower and shave pack up oh and don't for get to strip your bed. Bring your sheets and pillowslip down to the front desk dirty laundry bins.

I've never been to a B&B even a very cheap one that doesn't at least offer tea and toast or cereal for breakfast included in the price, checkout at 12 and only 1 didn't have WiFi or internet connection (it was down) as for needing to strip beds!

In my view the often negligible difference in price (once everything is taken into account) is a very small price to pay for a good nights sleep. No being woken up by others coming back at 1am, no snoring, no smelling other peoples shoes. Also you can leave your phone and gear or whatever charging without fear of it being nicked.

Sorry but have to say that I'm in the YHA have completely lost the plot camp.

I just wanted to clarify this again. What i was saying is that you cannot compare a £25 B&B with an £18 YHA. In the areas and on the nights that you pay £18 at YHA you will probabaly have to pay at least £35 at a B&B. Conversely, in the areas and on the nights that you find an excellent B&B for £25, the local YHA will be £10. In my last two nights at a YHA (this year) I paid £10, had the room to myself and could make breakfast, something you cannot do in a Travelodge.

The idea behind dormitory accommodation is to keep the price down. What we all want is a wonderful B&B in the West Sussex coast in the middle of August in a single room for £25.00. But cannot have.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

pioneer wrote:I think the only way the YHA can survive now is to drastically reduce the number of hostels into the most used and popular ones.

Your wish has been granted.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Article here abut the £10 million the YHA is spending this year on refurbishing 5 hostels and opening a new one on the South Downs.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Horizon, not my wish that they close hostels at all. Just pointing out that not enough folks want to stay in that style of accom' any more. Therefore the big trendy chalet style will probably remain as will the city centre types. Sadly not for walkers and touring cyclists the small, freindly, out of the way and possibly "out of history" type that a lot of us still have cherished memories of.
indio32

Post by indio32 »

andymiller wrote:Article here abut the £10 million the YHA is spending this year on refurbishing 5 hostels and opening a new one on the South Downs.

10 million quid on 6 hostels? Well that clears up why there so freaking expensive then.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

indio32, good point! Part of the trouble is ofcourse that much like our own dear CTC, the YHA is not run by walkers,cyclists, birders etc or indeed anybody that cares a fig about it's own core members. But some management/marketing wizzkids who move from post to post climbing ever higher up the greasy pole. Me cynical? Yes, just a little I'm afaid.
indio32

Post by indio32 »

horizon wrote:
indio32 wrote:
horizon wrote: Yes, you can get an excellent B&B for £25.00 but it won't be in the same place on the same night as when the YHA costs £18.00.

In fairness the £18 you quote won't include any sort of breakfast which will add £5 nor will it include WiFi to update your blog/check email etc which will be another £5 then to top it all off you'll get kicked out at 10am unless you've opted to pay the extra £3.50 to £5 for "late" check-out

I just wanted to clarify this again. What i was saying is that you cannot compare a £25 B&B with an £18 YHA. In the areas and on the nights that you pay £18 at YHA you will probabaly have to pay at least £35 at a B&B. Conversely, in the areas and on the nights that you find an excellent B&B for £25, the local YHA will be £10. In my last two nights at a YHA (this year) I paid £10, had the room to myself and could make breakfast, something you cannot do in a Travelodge.

The idea behind dormitory accommodation is to keep the price down. What we all want is a wonderful B&B in the West Sussex coast in the middle of August in a single room for £25.00. But cannot have.

I don't wish to labour the point but in both of your examples if you compare both on a like for like basis i.e. including breakfast, WiFi and a noon check-out then you'll find the B&B may be a few quid more expensive but are you suggesting that the YHA dorm is a better deal?

Maybe you carry a box of cornflakes and pint of milk in your suitcase, think the internet is a waste of time and enjoy having to get out of bed at 8am on Sunday morning to make the 10am check out all after having possibly had a lousy nights sleep in a dormitory and thats worth putting up with for a saving of a few quid but most people (as the YHA is find out) don't.
indio32

Post by indio32 »

pioneer wrote:indio32, good point! Part of the trouble is ofcourse that much like our own dear CTC, the YHA is not run by walkers,cyclists, birders etc or indeed anybody that cares a fig about it's own core members. But some management/marketing wizzkids who move from post to post climbing ever higher up the greasy pole. Me cynical? Yes, just a little I'm afaid.

Getting the financials on a good footing is important I have no problem with that but what are senior management at the YHA doing, sleeping? :roll:
cynical is good! :D
indio32

Post by indio32 »

pioneer wrote:Horizon, not my wish that they close hostels at all. Just pointing out that not enough folks want to stay in that style of accom' any more.

Totally disagree. I genuinely believe that people don't mind using hostels and dorms but the caveat to that is the cost HAS to reflect it with the YHA it just doesn't. How many times have the YHA sold up a hostel as uneconomical only for an independent to take it over and run it quite nicely thank you very much. Look at the huge network of independent hostels. So sad.
horizon

Post by horizon »

indio32 wrote:
I don't wish to labour the point but in both of your examples if you compare both on a like for like basis i.e. including breakfast, WiFi and a noon check-out then you'll find the B&B may be a few quid more expensive but are you suggesting that the YHA dorm is a better deal?

Maybe you carry a box of cornflakes and pint of milk in your suitcase, think the internet is a waste of time and enjoy having to get out of bed at 8am on Sunday morning to make the 10am check out all after having possibly had a lousy nights sleep in a dormitory and thats worth putting up with for a saving of a few quid but most people (as the YHA is find out) don't.

No, I would generally choose a B&B over a YHA but would miss the common room etc. This price difference between a BB and a YHA is a bit elusive but my experience is that B&B now costs £35 per night for a single room while a YHA costs between £10 and £18.00. That's about £10 - 15 per night cheaper allowing the £5.00 for breakfast. That's enough to put up with a dorm but it's a fine line and one that Travelodge seem to be able to cross with impunity. (For two people BTW it can be £60.00 per night at a B&B or say £30.00 at a YHA. That's £150 on a five day tour. It will all depend on what you find where.

And yes, I do carry provisions, like to save on the cost of an evening meal, don't use WiFi and don't mind leaving before 10.00am! And don't carry a suitcase. Horses for courses?

But indio, p-lease - it is a fine line and I agree with you!
Dizzie

Post by Dizzie »

Have you tried "Bunkhouse"?
horizon

Post by horizon »

Dizzie wrote:Have you tried "Bunkhouse"?

Dizzie: would you say a bit more?
meic

Post by meic »

The Winter Special Offer is now on.

I have just booked in for an impulse night's stay tonight, so I can join the Pembrokeshire crowd for tomorrow's ride.
It cost me the grand sum of £6.50 after deducting my member's discount.

Standard price £17.50.
Yma o Hyd
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

If this weather keeps up (or rather, if it's still good by October half-term), then I'll be away hostelling for a couple of days. Mid week at Wells-Next-the-Sea will be just the ticket. Not too big, not flash and not on the student trail either.