Setting up a Selle SNP ladies saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dave W

Setting up a Selle SNP ladies saddle

Post by Dave W »

Have any of you girls got any tips on how to set up one of these? I've searched the net and the consensus seems to be tilted down.
I've just fitted the SNP TRK ladies version for my wife to the back of our tandem. When someone refers to it as being level - do they mean the rails or the saddle top?
Anyone use one? Looks good to me but what do I know :D
LollyKat

Re: Setting up a Selle SNP ladies saddle

Post by LollyKat »

Generally speaking when "level the saddle" means level the top. Since saddles are rarely flat I start off by eyeballing it, getting a line drawn from the highest point of the rear to the highest point of the nose horizontal, and then adjusting by small amounts from there.

I find getting the saddle in the right place at the right angle is a pain in the, errrrmm..... and can take ages. So much depends, too, on your riding position - stretched out low or sitting up.

Have fun!
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Well, we've got quite a collection of saddles building up now :D Specialized Riva, Specialized Riva new version, Sella Diva and now this one. It's not entirely down to the saddle though because she rides her own bike with no problems. It's a combination of road bike wheels, potholed roads and pedaling harder whilst not being able to shift about I think. Never had much problem on the mountain bike Tandem we have - softer ride methinks and not racing against solo riders either. :?
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I'm male, but I put mine level, best saddle I've ever owned
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

The Scot Nats make ladies' saddles?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Dave W wrote:Well, we've got quite a collection of saddles building up now :D Specialized Riva, Specialized Riva new version, Sella Diva and now this one. It's not entirely down to the saddle though because she rides her own bike with no problems. It's a combination of road bike wheels, potholed roads and pedaling harder whilst not being able to shift about I think. Never had much problem on the mountain bike Tandem we have - softer ride methinks and not racing against solo riders either. :?

I mount the ones that don't work like hunting trophies and hang 'em on the wall.

The one with the antlers was the worst.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Ours will be mounted on Ebay shortly. :lol:

I'll also have a brand new Specialized Evo Pro up for grabs shortly if anyone's interested.
Dizzie

Post by Dizzie »

I'm sat here looking at 3 mounted SMP TRK's and each one is slightly different. Turbo trainer one is level, looking over the front lumps and bum pads. The Sabbath Silk Road is low on the front, by quite a lot and the Time Trial Kona Lisa TR is flat but I have only just finished building her, last night was the first ride and it did feel high on the front. So it would seem that bike geometry is a determinant, absolutely fantastic seat though wouldn't ride with anything else.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Dave W wrote:Have any of you girls got any tips on how to set up one of these?

However she likes it. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Wesh-Laurence

Post by Wesh-Laurence »

The men's Selle SMP TRK Saddle is basically the same as the ladies version. The men's one is a little narrower.

How you set up the saddle is a personal preference, others will insist it should be horizontal to the ground. The unusual design of this saddle is that the front droops (like Concorde's nose when it was landing); the middle is horizontal and the rear rises upwards slightly. When setting this sadlle up horizontally it is the middle section that this refers to.

Personally I prefer the saddle pointing downwards slighty on my touring bike and horizontal on my hybrid bike.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Wesh-Laurence wrote:The men's Selle SMP TRK Saddle is basically the same as the ladies version. The men's one is a little narrower.

How you set up the saddle is a personal preference, others will insist it should be horizontal to the ground. The unusual design of this saddle is that the front droops (like Concorde's nose when it was landing); the middle is horizontal and the rear rises upwards slightly. When setting this sadlle up horizontally it is the middle section that this refers to.

Personally I prefer the saddle pointing downwards slighty on my touring bike and horizontal on my hybrid bike.

Hope it is polite to mention that this may be so, but the lady will not be... If you catch my drift.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Good news! A combination of this saddle and a Thudbuster LT seems to have sorted all the problems. Fingers crossed. :D