Cycle Maintenance Stands

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Drake

Cycle Maintenance Stands

Post by Drake »

The time has come for me to get one of the above . But which one ?
There's quite a few different makes and models available . . all of which,i suspect,have their advantages and disadvantages .
So what criteria do i need . Well,a stand thats very stable for one . A stand that's not going to fall apart after a couple of uses . A stand with a clamp that will not damage paint work,or indeed,the frame itself . A stand that can cope with somebody reassembling a bike from scratch .
Park Tools market a stand which seems to tick all the boxes, but is somewhat expensive,but undoubtedly very good .
So,from anybody's experience,are there other makes that are nearly as good,but abit cheaper .
This will be a once only purchase for me,so not looking for the cheapest .
Gearoidmuar

Re: Cycle Maintenance Stands

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Lidl make a very good one.
binsted

Post by binsted »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Lidl make a very good one.

+1, probably the only bit of Lidl kit that I would recommend but @ £30 a real well made bargain.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I have a Lidl one too and at £30 it was good value and sufficient for my limited needs. However, the OP would seem to be looking for something special and the Lidl one doesn't fall into the category IMHO
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Ant

Post by Ant »

I have one of these and have been very happy with it so far, although it's use has been mostly limited to cleaning duties and new chains as my bikes don't need a huge amount of maintenance. I did install a bottom bracket and crankset and that was pretty easy with this stand. It has long legs and feel very stable and also folds up out of the way if needs be...

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ke-storage
awparker

Post by awparker »

+1 for the Edinburgh Bike Co-op stand. I did buy the extra tool tray for this originally but rarely use it as it seems to foul the folding process

Alan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I bought this Park one:
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

Excellent bit of kit.
Mick F. Cornwall
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

awparker wrote:+1 for the Edinburgh Bike Co-op stand. I did buy the extra tool tray for this originally but rarely use it as it seems to foul the folding process

Alan

+1^^ I have built and rebuilt several bikes using this one and have had no problems at all. Several shops stock this stand under different names but EBC are competitively priced. You have just missed their latest 15% off weekend at easter though. I have had mine about 5 years and still going strong.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I have a Litespeed Spin Doctor Delux which has given good Service for about 10 years, its OK but I would say if you can afford it buy the parktool, Its a one off purchase and they are incredibly well made. I borrowed a lidl one whilst doing some work whilst at the inlaws in NI and that worked fine, problem is they aren't always on sale. Park tool do more than one version the Homemechanic one is cheap for there equipment a friend has one though and it seems quite reasonable.
NUKe

Post by gentlegreen »

I have the Park PCS10 with a cam-clamp and it's well made, but still a faff to position the bike exactly where you want it.
And you still have to hoik the bike up - and in my case it's a heavy bike.
I feel certain that 10 years from now I will be using an electric winch.
pstallwood

Post by pstallwood »

I have seen several references to Lidl cycle gear. Unfortunately our nearest Lidl is about 30 miles away so what I want to know is - Do Lidl have gear such as the cycle stand in stock all the time, or is it a case of when its gone its gone?

Many thanks.

Peter
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

No lidl do not keep cycle gear on a permanent basis, they tend to bring cycle gear in about 4 times a year out of which only one or 2 of these would have the stands. Some stores had the stand a couple of weeks back
NUKe

Post by gentlegreen »

Aldi and Lidl quite often remind me of this Monty Python sketch in terms of some of the things they sell :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZOdVqlvys0
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

gentlegreen wrote:Aldi and Lidl quite often remind me of this Monty Python sketch in terms of some of the things they sell :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZOdVqlvys0

I love their films but some of the TV stuff was horrendously bad. That's worse!
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

I bought the Lidl maintenance stand a few weeks back- for £29.99 you won't get better.

You need to be spending 3 x that amount before quality gets noticeably better imo

It does the job I want it to do and it has been a great thing for me