Joggers with headphones

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Michael R

Re: Joggers with headphones

Post by Michael R »

Si wrote:Thing on the news this morning about the number of walkers with phones who have been killed in the USA....does seem to be a bit of a problem.

Does jogging shorten life?
Si

Post by Si »

Michael R wrote:
Si wrote:Thing on the news this morning about the number of walkers with phones who have been killed in the USA....does seem to be a bit of a problem.

Does jogging shorten life?

Where did I mention joggers?
ZoeRPM

Post by ZoeRPM »

Good point. Another is not to be too quiet when overtaking horses, especially on metalled roads. Shod hooves make quite a noise and some horses get spooked if you overtake them without warning. As both a cyclist and a rider, I would advise cyclists to ring their bell whilst a good 30-40 yards away from a horse then give it a wide berth when passing.
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

I love music, but I never feel comfortable listening to it on a bike or walking about, because so much awareness disappears. On top of that I can't stand the little earphone plugs that go in your ears for about 30 seconds at a time before falling out.

I always feel uncomfortable passing anybody, be it a car, a cyclist, or a pedestrian, because people just don't seem to look around them, and do that odd half-jump as they notice me, whether I have rung the bell, said excuse me, or whatever
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ZoeRPM wrote:....... I would advise cyclists to ring their bell whilst a good 30-40 yards away from a horse then give it a wide berth when passing.

I'd advise cyclists never to ring a bell when approaching a horse from behind.
Much better to pass wide and speak to the rider from 10to15m away.The horse is much more used to a human voice and won't be spooked by it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

reohn2 wrote:
ZoeRPM wrote:....... I would advise cyclists to ring their bell whilst a good 30-40 yards away from a horse then give it a wide berth when passing.

I'd advise cyclists never to ring a bell when approaching a horse from behind.
Much better to pass wide and speak to the rider from 10to15m away.The horse is much more used to a human voice and won't be spooked by it.

+1 to that. A bell can spook a horse as much as a cyclist suddenly appearing from no where. My normal approach is to shout out something like "Cyclist behind" while I'm still a ways off to alert both rider and hoss. And then ask if it is OK to pass before doing so. Ride past slow and wide, and say "thank you" afterwards.

Unless I'm on the recumbent, then I just hide behind the hedge :lol: