while on the ferry

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
phil1965

while on the ferry

Post by phil1965 »

doing a week long tour first week in june ,will i have to remove my panniers while on the ferry,
Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Re: while on the ferry

Post by Penfold »

No requirement to remove your panniers, although, if you wanted to you could. I left all my kit on the bike and only took my bar bag (Camera, passport and monies etc) with me.
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
vernon

Post by vernon »

There's no need to remove anything other than your valuables. The car deck is secured during the sailing.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

No need to remove them, in fact I always leave them on to act as some protection for the bike. The crew usually lash the bikes to the bulkhead and aren't too fussy.
'Kernow bys Vyken'
hamish

Post by hamish »

I agree. Leave them on. And take a bungee or strap to secure the bike yourself. If possible, faff about until the crew have gone, strap your bike to the wall yourself and they won't try and do it in a heavy handed way for you.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

I agree about leaving them on but may depend on the duration of the ferry trip. My first ferry last year took 7 hours which gave me ample time to rearrange the entire contents - well, it was my first ever tour so I'd soon found out my packing was lacking :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the Outer Hebrides, I had to lash up the bike myself every time - but there were always ropes to do it with.

Have fun on your tour :D be sure to report back here :wink:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As others; leave panniers, have valuables and articles essential for the journey handy in a small bag that is easily removed and carried with you.. hence the barbag..

If you have time (ie journey time long enough) and you have the option when booking, book to eat in the proper dining room rather than rely on the self service one.

Often have almost exclusive use of the restaurant, it is often buffet style and eat as much as you want for one all in price, everyone heads straight for the self service restaurant so there is often a big queue, and, often, you pay for every item you take inc pats of butter /jars of jam etc., befor eyou know it you can have spent as much in self service as for snack food as for the proper meal...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
jezer

Post by jezer »

As others have said, pack your valuables in a bar bag and carry it as hand luggage. We usually go into the main restaurant and while away a couple of hours over a substantial meal. It's actually quite good value and is a major part of the holiday for us. It makes up for the food served in budget French hotels, which is often not as good as one would hope :?
Power to the pedals
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

jezer wrote:As others have said, pack your valuables in a bar bag and carry it as hand luggage. We usually go into the main restaurant and while away a couple of hours over a substantial meal. It's actually quite good value and is a major part of the holiday for us. It makes up for the food served in budget French hotels, which is often not as good as one would hope :?

Like minds jezer! :D
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I think I must be missing something here.

Everyone is being very general about 'the ferry'... And very trusting. No mention of what ferry is being discussed, or is it that all ferries are safe for leaving insecure luggage alone on?

It's one thing with checking in luggage at an airport, but when customs ask you questions at the other end, whether you've left your bag unattended, has anyone had access, etc., do you lie?

Surely the route has some factor in this?

...And I don't recall any decent food on a ferry, let alone for a good price. Perhaps I am just spoiled at home, and on some other ships. Perhaps I am just a sociophobic grouch with no faith in people...
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Tigger. See you then maybe, 5 of us going for the last week in may. :P
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

mrjemm wrote:...And I don't recall any decent food on a ferry, let alone for a good price. Perhaps I am just spoiled at home, and on some other ships. Perhaps I am just a sociophobic grouch with no faith in people...

Had some great food on Brittany Ferries - the sit-down buffet has always been good quality, especially the desserts, and the French staff are far too polite to look askance no matter how high you pile your plate :-) although it's not the bargain it used to be 15, 20 years ago... had some cheerfully basic but tasty food on LD Lines, too.
As for the luggage, my experience, mainly confined to BF and LD Lines to and fro' France, as well as many other folks, is that your panniers and their contents will still be there when you get back to your cycle, ready to disembark, but common sense (whatever that is...) suggests that you don't trust to luck, but rather take with you everything you value. However, if you don't have a cabin booked, in which to lock your kit, your belongings are probably actually safer down on the secure car deck, than open to the temptation of the general public you are sharing the upper decks with!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

mattsccm wrote:Tigger. See you then maybe, 5 of us going for the last week in may. :P

That'd be fab 8-) You guys (and gals?) should be easy to spot! I'll be the lone female either cycling between cafes, or in one having tea & cake, arf arf :lol:
hamish

Post by hamish »

Brittany Ferries food is good. And, in an entirely different way, so is Calmac grub.

I really enjoy Calmac crossings!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The bigger Danish ferries offer some excellent grub, the smaller ones are more like a small cafe! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!