Your chance to help change the future of cycling?

TonyR

Your chance to help change the future of cycling?

Post by TonyR »

Transport for London has commissioned TRL to undertake a range of off-street trials of innovative cycling improvements. These off-street trials will look at a number of options and based on analysis of the trials, decisions will be made as to whether or not they can be introduced on-street, subject to Department for Transport approval.

They're also looking for volunteers to help in the trials

http://www.trl.co.uk/cyclinginnovationtrials/
Geriatrix

Re: Your chance to help change the future of cycling?

Post by Geriatrix »

TonyR wrote:They're also looking for volunteers to help in the trials

http://www.trl.co.uk/cyclinginnovationtrials/

Do you know if this has been posted on other forums? I think it should.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Not that I'm aware of but given the lack of interest it appears to have created here..........
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

I would love to have a go, but sadly I live nowhere near london
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

Completed the form. They never asked for an e-mail address, just phone number.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

Got a call today with a request to attend as a driver which surprised me a bit since I volunteered as a cyclist but that's OK.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Geriatrix wrote:Got a call today with a request to attend as a driver which surprised me a bit since I volunteered as a cyclist but that's OK.

Maybe they've been overwhelmed with cyclists - possibly gives you an excellent position to comment on what works as a knowledgeable/sympathetic motorist.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Maybe they've been overwhelmed with cyclists - possibly gives you an excellent position to comment on what works as a knowledgeable/sympathetic motorist.

Yes I agreed to go as a driver & they made an appointment for Friday. They said they would send a confirmation by e-mail which I'm still waiting for.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

the bus stop design looks quite poor,
edges ? not chamfered, is a raised profile required? it could be avoided, cheaper and allows for changes to design without a raised profile.

I took photos of several bus stops in NL. The had small islands in some cases and tapering in cycle lanes, not with straight lines that changes from one direction at an angle, should we have similar arrangements? the design speed needs to be about 20 mph and if changing at an angle, should be about 15-20 degrees.(curves rather than angles should be the norm)

All designs should be tested to a minimum riding speed of 20 mph, ensuring that they can be used without undue slowing down and do not require tight turns.

Probably better to have the bus waiting area on the pavement in some cases.
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

I live within commuting distance of Wokingham, so I signed up on their website form.