Luggage Racks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mr. Viking

Luggage Racks

Post by Mr. Viking »

I have just removed the luggage rack on my bike. It has sat there, largely unused, weighing me down since I got it. I don't cycle far usually, so carry a rucksack. I feel as though I have missed out on something though, as I think the lack of use is because I never have been able to get anything to stay on it, be it a small suitcase, or bags of shopping (in a kit bag).

Have I missed out on a trick on how to carry luggage? I always used the bungee that came with the bike, but the load always seemed to flop off to one side when i least expected it. I have left the rack to one side until I decide i need it again (it does have a natty old fashioned stand attached which lifts the rear wheel off the ground, but I always balance it against whatever I lock it to anyway, and it is oh-so heavy).
Vantage

Re: Luggage Racks

Post by Vantage »

Mr. Viking wrote:Have I missed out on a trick on how to carry luggage?

Panniers.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

IrishBill76 wrote:
Mr. Viking wrote:Have I missed out on a trick on how to carry luggage?

Panniers.

That's what I thought, and didn't buy them because it didn't seem worth the cost. Probably get some if I move further from the shops
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mr Viking: how many of your friends have ever complained about the cost of a car boot?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

horizon wrote:Mr Viking: how many of your friends have ever complained about the cost of a car boot?

How often is the boot an optional extra? :?
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

I see your point, but most of my friends don't drive. (we're all youngun's and nobody can afford a car nowadays)

I see cost as an issue because the bike cost £400, and I looked at panniers to find that they were at least £30 a side, which seemed excessive for something that wouldn't be regularly used. Which is why I'll hold off until I decide they are necessary

Is it correct though that a rack is next to useless without them?
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mr. Viking wrote:

Absolutely not, though some form of panniers or rack pack is preferable. Try Ebay for cheap ones.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mr. Viking wrote: ...Is it correct though that a rack is next to useless without them?

I'd change the emphasis a bit and say that purpose-made cycle luggage is more use than any old bag. Many of my generation were brought up using saddlebags of the Carradice Camper type. That type of bag has to sit on something.

You can get bike luggage eg Ortleib, intended to fit on top of a pannier rack but it's no cheaper than panniers.
PRL

Post by PRL »

Mr. Viking wrote:I see your point, but most of my friends don't drive. (we're all youngun's and nobody can afford a car nowadays)

I see cost as an issue because the bike cost £400, and I looked at panniers to find that they were at least £30 a side, which seemed excessive for something that wouldn't be regularly used. Which is why I'll hold off until I decide they are necessary

£15 for a pair at Aldi today if you can find them.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _30372.htm
Probably not the highest quality but a LOT better than a rucksack or plastic bag bungeed to the rack.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cycle jumbles often have good bargains on rack packs and panniers.

A friend of mine has the Aldi ones & they have served him well.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

went to Aldi yesterday and got theirs, thanks for the advice
horizon

Post by horizon »

:D :D That's it - you are hooked now!
Ant

Post by Ant »

Just saw this post today so popped to Aldi to check out the panniers. They' have a few different types. I chose one that is modelled on the ortlieb front roller classic, same sort of size and roll top closure

Pros: very light, 430g per pannier. Cheap, £15 a pair. Has a "waterproof" cover stowed in a bottom pocket. Material is quite thick and feels robust at the front, although much less so on the sides. Nice and compact.

Cons: feel flimsy. Attachments are basic, formed plastic hooks that rattle on your rack and don't feel like they will last. Stabilised by a velcro tab low down which also feels a bit flimsy. Straps and buckles also feel weak (compared with top quality gear, which is possibly a little unfair). Also the zip which houses the rain cover rattles against my mudguard stay. Hardly the fault of the pannier, but I could not live with the noise.

Personally I will not be keeping them, but for a beginner, or someone not too worried about the odd rattle and who perhaps isn't going to subject them to commuting abuse then probably a good buy.

Hope this is useful to someone...
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

The hooks and velcro do feel a bit flimsy, and I'm not sure I would want much weight in them for that reason. It's hopefully the start of a wonderful relationship with panniers though
Ant

Post by Ant »

I think they would best be suited as a "stay on" pannier, rather than one you expect to take off and on repeatedly. So if you commute and have secure storage then they are just the right size to carry a tote bag in, which you could then take out and into work. That pretty much solves the attachment issue...

As I say, for some people's needs, these are a steal and the fact that they are so light will probably really appeal to some.