Bottle cage mounts -Rivnuts spinning in frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
donnieban

Bottle cage mounts -Rivnuts spinning in frame

Post by donnieban »

Went to use my under frame cage mounts for the first time for my 1 litre Trangia fuel bottle and have found that the Rivnuts are spinning in the frame with the bolts in-situ.

Tried all the fixes, without success so I'm looking for an alternative cage mount that will secure my large fuel bottle snug to the frame without fouling the 2 underslung gear cables....

Most of the retro mounts that I have found present what looks to be a 50mm ish gap from the frame which increases the potential for the under-slung fuel bottle to foul the front mud guard on my 58cm frame.

The Topeak frame mount looks good but presents a big offset/ drop:

http://www.topeak.com/products/Bottle-Cages/cagemount

To avoid this misery - apply some copper grease to your threads.

Many thanks in anticipation.

donnieban
breakwellmz

Re: Bottle cage mounts -Rivnuts spinning in frame

Post by breakwellmz »

You might be able to`pull`it up a bit more using a bolt and spacer,it may not have fully pulled when it was installed.

http://tentsshelters.tpub.com/TM-10-541 ... 4_67_2.jpg
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

Hi breakwellmz,

Sadly not an option, the allen bolts are stuck in the Rivnuts.

donnieban
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Zefal Gizmo bottle fixings raise the bottle cage only about 15mm from the tube and are slim enough (20mm diameter) to go between the cables probably. http://www.cyclesurgery.com/zefal%20giz ... duct/14181 I use them with a large drinks bottle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if there are bolts in the nutserts that don't turn there are a few options;

1) leave them alone and use something else.
2) tap the allen bolt heads from the side with a flat-ended punch or drift; work round a couple of times, and maybe you will get lucky and they will loosen.
3) use wedges from the sides to 'lift' the screw head, thereby further compressing the nutsert. Sometimes you can do this with a pair of side-cutters.
4) grind or cut/file the head off the bolt, then similarly remove the top of the nutsert. Knock the remains through the frame, and retrieve via the BB shell at your leisure. Fit new nutserts, with copper ease this time!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

tatanab wrote:Zefal Gizmo bottle fixings raise the bottle cage only about 15mm from the tube and are slim enough (20mm diameter) to go between the cables probably. http://www.cyclesurgery.com/zefal%20giz ... duct/14181 I use them with a large drinks bottle.

Cheers tatanab,

Will give them a go. Presumably no issues with the mounts slackening under load?

donnieban
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

Brucey wrote:if there are bolts in the nutserts that don't turn there are a few options;

2) tap the allen bolt heads from the side with a flat-ended punch or drift; work round a couple of times, and maybe you will get lucky and they will loosen.

cheers

Cheers Brucey,

Hadn't tried option 2, so will give that a go. Tried option 3 with no joy and I'm too reluctant to go with 4.

donnieban
JINKY230

Post by JINKY230 »

Place a part old inner tube over the present rivnuts,place water bottle cage on top of the inner tube in place, and throw 2 heavy duty tie wraps around the plate of the water bottle cage
it will hold better than the previous water bottle cage
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

But then again you said that 'You have tried all the fixes' so it will not be of any use to you.
I should coco.
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

Hi Valbrona,

Tried the Parktool solution and failed, sadly.

donnieban
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

I have used these ELITE WATER BOTTLE CAGE

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_163286_langId_-1_categoryId_273927

to attach a extra water bottle cage below my downtube.

Works very well and gear cables pass nicely on either side of the fitments.

Have to read instructions very carefully - but if put on correctly very strong. No slippage on my 1200 mile trip last summer including some rough cycle paths.

You can buy them at your local Halfords.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I recently needed to fit a bottleholder for a Trangia bottle on the underside of my hybrid/sometime tourer.

After considering all the many options I took the advice of someone on here or another forum (can't remember who - thanks if it was you).

1: Get a silver water bottle holder from Wilkinsons - cheap plus has the plates you need to attach 2 to.

2: Using old inner tube as frame-protection/extra grip, secure with two Jubilee clips.

Solid as a rock.

If the bike is particularly flash (like my other tourer) you may feel that it spoils the lines but on the bike I've put it on it has a sort of retro-industrial cool. And along with the bit of silver duck tape to stop water getting into the gearshift maybe makes it look less nickable. Definitely my most relaxed tourer.
Sweep
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I have decided to go with the tim_f solution c/o halfords - Elite water bottle strips.

I stumbled across this info which may be helpful to others:

http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/

Best regards to all

donnieban