Corroded zips

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
deliquium

Corroded zips

Post by deliquium »

I have 2 hardly worn cycling tops, one beautiful Campag (alas long discontinued) and one Lusso, both with corroded zips that are stuck. The slider bit appears to be covered in a fine white substance. Both tops are kept in a drawer with other cycling tops of the same makes (different colours 8) ). The zips are both rather tiny (weight saving/aero? :lol: )

Any chemists or suchlike out there who could advise treatment to save 2 lovely tops?
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
stoobs

Re: Corroded zips

Post by stoobs »

I had similar on a CamelBak lookalike.

I put a tiny amount of WD40 on it, and washed it too. It works now. I couldn't tell whether it was corrosion or salt, given where it was - probably a bit of both.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

stoobs wrote:
I put a tiny amount of WD40 on it

I can hear my father now, in his deep South Walian accent "boyo, try some WD" - it was his answer to every conceivable problem know to mankind, together with Olbas Oil, Aspro, spit and 3in1.

Thanks stoobs, I'll try it on the Lusso first, after scratching as much encrusted white stuff off with a pen knife.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have two lovely Campag tops (Classic?) and two rather nice Campag tops (Factory Team)

The two lovely ones both have sticking zips, I reckon a combination of salty sweat and age. I may try WD40 - sounds like a good idea. I was wearing one of the "lovely" ones earlier and it has a rather stiff zip - perhaps stiffer than the other.

I'll have a go at WD40 shortly ..........
Mick F. Cornwall
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

You see, you all already knew the answer! :lol: :lol: :lol:
meic

Post by meic »

I am not so sure about modern zips but we used to rub the old fashioned ones with a candle to keep them clean and free flowing.
Yma o Hyd
jezer

Post by jezer »

I think the modern flimsy nylon type zips are the devil's invention. I had to buy a new club training top at a cost of £50 because the zip on the old one got stuck due to a tiny ratchet breaking. The garment itself had plenty of life still in it. Perhaps I could have got the zip replaced, but why is the hassle necessary :?
Power to the pedals
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:I'll have a go at WD40 shortly ..........
I had a go, and it helped a good deal, but what happens when it's washed next time?
More WD40?

I agree about crappy nylon zips. I paid loadsa dosh for those tops and they're spoiled a little by those zips. The zipping part is metal - and corroded - but the zip teeth are nylon.
Mick F. Cornwall
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Had a go with GT85 several times over an hour - still stuck solid :evil: . Will buy some WD40
Current pedalable joys

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wonder if you wash the top and have a go at opening the zip whilst it's still wet?
Mick F. Cornwall
jezer

Post by jezer »

I think GT85 is the the same as WD40, only a brand difference. Probably the same result :?
Power to the pedals
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Mick F wrote:I wonder if you wash the top and have a go at opening the zip whilst it's still wet?

Good thinking - try that next
Current pedalable joys

CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Mick F wrote: I may try WD40 - sounds like a good idea.
:o
It may free a seized zip but it won't lubricate! You need a good quality wax lube - as you should know Mick :wink:

Personally, I used silicone based furniture polish on sticky zips.
Slidingpillar

Post by Slidingpillar »

jezer wrote:I think GT85 is the the same as WD40, only a brand difference. Probably the same result :?

No, as far as I know, GT85 is a reasonable lubricant, and WD40 isn't! WD40 gets its name from being a Water Dispersant, but it does this by attracting water, and then the water falls away with the excess fluid. The lubrication content of WD40 is poor and just about any other commercially available light oil is better.
Trice Q
Longstaff Trike
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

CREPELLO wrote:
Mick F wrote: I may try WD40 - sounds like a good idea.
:o
It may free a seized zip but it won't lubricate! You need a good quality wax lube - as you should know Mick :wink:

Personally, I used silicone based furniture polish on sticky zips.
I'll have a go at using some White Lightning!

I could do a test:
I have some WL Wet Ride as well as my WL Clean Ride, and also some ProLink Gold and some 3in1. :D
Mick F. Cornwall