Fancy a tour of the Hebrides in 2013?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
donnieban

Re: Fancy a tour of the Hebrides in 2013?

Post by donnieban »

Our (Skye) weather conditions aren't particularly cycle friendly at the moment I'm afraid - gusting to 40 mph. Heavy rain showers laced with occasional hail and day time temperature drops to 2 degrees otherwise averaging at about 7 degrees. Not very nice; this weekends tour to Mull is on hold pending more settled weather.

Not sure if XC Weather is known to prospective tourers but it gives a useful insight into what the wind is doing:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/isle_of_mull

All the best to those on tour currently.

donnieban
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Doesn't sound too good Donnie :( but thanks for web link.

Had decent temps here for past 4 weeks, so I've been spoilt already!... Fingers crossed for an upturn!
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

mattsccm wrote:Thought I would wake this one up as its close to my little bunch going.(and others) Trying to confirm any ideas about a 1st campsite after landing at Castlebay on Saturday evening. Has to be no more than an hours ride I suppose. Vatersay would be good but I do seem to be picking up suggestions that camping is limited.
your suggestions please. :D

http://www.uktravelandtourism.com/uk-caravan-and-camping/scotland/isle-of-barra/vatersay/vatersay/315.html

I think it's worth going straight to Vatersay when you get off the ferry. It isn't far and very doable even if you arrive in the evening (it's light until late). That way you have all of the next day moving on rather than going to Vatersay and turning round again.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Vatersay is the intended for the first night, weather permitting.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

I've just made my tour a whole load more challenging :shock: by deciding I must, must, MUST cycle along Glen Valtos (Gleann Bhaltois) in Uig*. But there are no hostels near enough (for me) for a day trip. Unfortunately I've just found out that Lewis is a whole lot more popular in May than September (durr! :roll: ) But eventually found a B&B in a well placed location (Cairisiader), with vacancies, but only in the middle of my holiday (which starts in Barra). Head now stuck in ferry timetables and furiously studying Bikehike!

Will report back later!

* I have driven along Glen Valtos as a car tourist, twice. Wow!!!!!!!
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Sorry, a bit late posting this - first episode was on Monday - but has anyone spotted a new Beeb wildlife series called Hebrides: Islands on the Edge? Narrated by Ewan McGregor. On BBC Scotland but also on iPlayer and may be on English Beeb in the future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p014g3q2

I don't have a telly and haven't got around to sorting out the sound on my pc (only had it 2 years!) but Kanga watched the first episode on iPlayer - Inner Hebrides - and said it was VG.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

I think its on in England on Sunday....I heard it mentioned on Radio Scotland.

I'm off on my own 9 days Outer Hebrides and Skye pedal from next Saturday...woop woop!!! Fingers crossed for endless sunshine and nae midges :D
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

largeallan wrote:I think its on in England on Sunday....I heard it mentioned on Radio Scotland.

I'm off on my own 9 days Outer Hebrides and Skye pedal from next Saturday...woop woop!!! Fingers crossed for endless sunshine and nae midges :D

How fab :D I'll be a few days behind you. I'm only daring to ask for temps in double figures though!

Have you got an itinerererary Allan? Do share...!
123ttam

Post by 123ttam »

And I'm off in June on my first cycle Camping trip with my wife.
Park at OBAN
1st night on Vatersay
2nd night on Benbecula
3rd night on Harris
4th night on Sky
5th night just outside Mallaig
6th night on our way to Kilchoan
7th night on Mull
Back to Oban

I too would like double figure temps but I'm just so excited I'll take anything :-)
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

Tigger wrote:How fab I'll be a few days behind you. I'm only daring to ask for temps in double figures though!

Have you got an itinerererary Allan? Do share...!

Hiya Tigger. No real itineraryraries for me...I prefer to just go with the flow rather than tie myself into targets. I live on the Clyde Coast, so I'll be pedalling up to Oban next saturday; doing the outer islands, South to North, then back down via Skye and Mallaig...I haven't done much pedalling this year, mainly due to the endless winter; so if you see someone snorting and grunting his way up hills, its most likely to be me! :)
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Its going to be busy. We (5) are doing the same as Allan two weeks to day when we should have the tents up on Vatersay. n
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

mattsccm wrote:Its going to be busy. We (5) are doing the same as Allan two weeks to day when we should have the tents up on Vatersay. n

Well I'm glad you are all camping... more room in the hostels for me :lol:

Hope you all have big fun :D and a lovely tailwind... whichever direction you are going in!
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

donnieban wrote:Our (Skye) weather conditions aren't particularly cycle friendly at the moment I'm afraid - gusting to 40 mph. Heavy rain showers laced with occasional hail and day time temperature drops to 2 degrees otherwise averaging at about 7 degrees. Not very nice; this weekends tour to Mull is on hold pending more settled weather.

Not sure if XC Weather is known to prospective tourers but it gives a useful insight into what the wind is doing:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/isle_of_mull

All the best to those on tour currently.

donnieban

Just seen this thread (or at least the content of) quite ironic, I cycled from Armadale to Portree when you quoted this against the strong headwinds & I have footage of the hail coming down on my tent later in the afternoon.

I decided to change strategy after my night in Portree and looking at the 5-day weather forecast for the NW coast of Scotland and headed east for only a few days respite!
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

I laugh wildly in the teeth of the gale!! :shock:
Weekender

Post by Weekender »

The Rag, Tag and Bobtail cycle touring club which comrpise of three over 65 males, will be touring the Western Isles some time in June, date not yet set. Just returned from some serious into the wind and alcohol consumption training during our Whisky tour on Islay and Jura, to help prepare us for the big trip. So if any of you guys see three oldies drinking coffee or Guinness at the side of the road, pull up and have one.
Gerry