my 1st ever tour, any advice please.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Big T

Re: my 1st ever tour, any advice please.

Post by Big T »

As others have said the Thurso to Bettyhill road gets a bit lumpy, especially after Melvich, but after Bettyhill, if you go down the Strathnaver road and don't go to Tongue, it's pretty flat to Altnaharra and a delightful road to ride on. There's a long drag out of Altnaharra towatds the Crask Inn, but then it's flat again to Lairg.

There are a couple of nice places to stay in Bonar bridge, just along the road from Lairg. The Dunromin Hotel is one.

We did Wick-Bettyhill on Day 1 and Bettyhill-Bonar Bridge on day 2. Had a late-ish lunch at the Crask Inn as we found nowhere else, and we had the last of his bread!. On the rest of our JOGLE we often bought sandwiches in the morning and then just stopped and ate them when we felt hungry. If you have a hearty breakfast, you can actually go quite a long way before you need anything else to eat, but it's always tempting to stop for a mid-morning coffee and cake and an afternoon tea or ice cream.

Good luck - it's 4 years since we did our JOGLE but we still look back with fond memories of it.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

there is not a lot between pitlochry and inverness, very .... quiet? we did jogle in 14 days and booked up b&b's beforehand, but that meant at least 100km a day, inverness to pitlochry 130km.

we had very strong winds, snow, hail and heavy rain for most of our trip last may.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The best way to plan for inclement weather is layers. A few changes of clothes can as easily be worn all together as separately. Take one more layer than you expect to need. My one more layer is usually something like a wool jersey and a pair of golf trousers; they can double as clothes for the evening.

p.s. don't worry too much; you can always pick stuff up on the way or mail things home to yourself. Have fun :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
greenskies

Post by greenskies »

well, the time has come and i can't wait to get going on my 1st jogle.
Weather looks good for the first few days so just ready to start cycling and hope the training has paid off.
Thanks everyone for all the advice.
see you on the other side
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Have a great time!
puffin

Post by puffin »

Enjoyand let us know how it went.
Duke3376

Post by Duke3376 »

Yes don't have a fried breakfast, it was Barneybears fault he made me do it, don't know if you have set off yet but get booked into a travelodge some cheap deals out there.

Check out my route and accom.

http://www.darrenlejog.weebly.com