New Commute distance

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

New Commute distance

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, my workplace has just completed its re-location, and I've just had a try-out of my new commute (10 miles e/w as opposed to 2 miles). Yesterday I came in by car :oops: .

It's all along roads I'm perfectly familiar with and no hills to speak of, so I managed it in 46 minutes which is a reasonable average for someone of my age and condition. Most of the country lanes don't seem to be too bad for traffic - no rat-run stuff; however the last 2-3 miles where I'm forced on to an 'A' road was pretty lively. I got hooted once for being in primary :evil: , and cut up once by a car coming out of a side road - but that's about average for this sort of setting.

I doubt I'll be doing it every day, certainly not in bad weather. :| Alas my car mileage is going to rocket! There is a rail alternative, but it's expensive and not really convenient.

One thing I discovered is that the showers, promised by my employers, are not operational yet :( , so it was a case of a quick splash of water in the Gent's. I didn't need the shower for my 2-miler. Ah well, it would be a miracle if everything were perfect.

I'm 63, so I have 2 years (max.) left for this lunacy. How long I shall keep it up into the autumn, I don't know.... :?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Re: New Commute distance

Post by kwackers »

I used to commute 14 miles each way.

I started by doing it twice a week with at least a day between, then three times, then four (wed off) then finally went to five (although tbh I frequently needed one day with the car).

What I found was that I got fit enough quite quickly, I ate like a horse (and still lost weight) but probably more importantly that any reasonable commuting distance always feels about 3 miles too long! :lol:
binka

Post by binka »

I've started commuting by bike only this week. 8 miles each way. Its nice when the weather is like it is currently but I can't see me doing it in the wind or rain.
Specialized Tricross
Ice Sprint
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

binka wrote: Its nice when the weather is like it is currently but I can't see me doing it in the wind or rain.

It's only when you've battled the wind and rain that you truly get to enjoy the current nice weather, otherwise it feels like a chore
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

I am about 3 weeks into a new job and I am spending more than three hours a day commuting. Previously I was only doing one hour total. I won't say what the distance is because I am embarasingly slow. Unfortunately the work pattern is compressing a 37 hour week into 4 and half days. I am struggling to get enough sleep midweek, but halfday Fridays are OK. At least the weather has mostly be kind. I am not venturing out on the bike at the weekend, I need the rest.
joey

Post by joey »

I did my first 2 days of commuting last week, 9 miles each way, combination of road and cycle path, feels like it's uphill in both directions which I guess is technically impossible but my legs disagree. Haven't tried it this week but may be forced to on Friday. Bit nervous as I work in a school and have never taken the bike before in term time. Hoping the kids will be gentle with me and not let my tyres down at breaktime. :(
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Mu minimum round trip distance is 15.6 miles though I do make this into 20 miles if I leave in time.
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

kwackers wrote:... any reasonable commuting distance always feels about 3 miles too long! :lol:

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
andrewwoods

Post by andrewwoods »

Geriatrix wrote:
kwackers wrote:... any reasonable commuting distance always feels about 3 miles too long! :lol:

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.

+1 :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My normal commute is 10 miles long and 980 feet up (up to work, down to come home). There is a shorter route, but there's an extra 150 feet of climbing in it, and the 980 feet from the valley floor to my work is done in half the distance. So, the longer route works out to about 7 minutes faster. I did it every day all summer last year, and once or twice per week in winter. I've had a nasty cold recently, & didn't feel up to the commute for a few days, but I rode to work yesterday & today. I had too, despite hacking & coughing, still. I was going stir crazy, driving to work!

The weather was perfect for it, and I took a detour through the woods yesterday. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

joey wrote:I did my first 2 days of commuting last week, 9 miles each way, combination of road and cycle path, feels like it's uphill in both directions which I guess is technically impossible but my legs disagree. Haven't tried it this week but may be forced to on Friday. Bit nervous as I work in a school and have never taken the bike before in term time. Hoping the kids will be gentle with me and not let my tyres down at breaktime. :(

:) You are stting a good example! (but carry a pump, just in case)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
joey

Post by joey »

Thanks, that reminds me, must not leave the pump on the bike! ;-)
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

661-Pete wrote:Well, my workplace has just completed its re-location, and I've just had a try-out of my new commute (10 miles e/w as opposed to 2 miles). Yesterday I came in by car :oops: .

It's all along roads I'm perfectly familiar with and no hills to speak of, so I managed it in 46 minutes which is a reasonable average for someone of my age and condition. Most of the country lanes don't seem to be too bad for traffic - no rat-run stuff; however the last 2-3 miles where I'm forced on to an 'A' road was pretty lively. I got hooted once for being in primary :evil: , and cut up once by a car coming out of a side road - but that's about average for this sort of setting.

I doubt I'll be doing it every day, certainly not in bad weather. :| Alas my car mileage is going to rocket! There is a rail alternative, but it's expensive and not really convenient.

One thing I discovered is that the showers, promised by my employers, are not operational yet :( , so it was a case of a quick splash of water in the Gent's. I didn't need the shower for my 2-miler. Ah well, it would be a miracle if everything were perfect.

I'm 63, so I have 2 years (max.) left for this lunacy. How long I shall keep it up into the autumn, I don't know.... :?

I'm not many years behind you and my commute is 12 miles each way. If you go a bit slower it will only take you five minutes longer but you won't need the shower on arrival - although we have a very good walk in shower room in the office - and it won't take as much out of you for repeating the journeys. You need to work up to those sorts of distances daily but it comes quickly and you can always treat yourself to the train occasionally if the weather is bad or there's gales blowing in the wrong direction. On an occasional use its not expensive and its nice to know if I'm not feeling too good I can bail out and catch the train home. As for the A-road, if you do the journey regularly at around the same time you will find most of the drivers are the same every day and get to know you will be part of their journey and treat you better. Still need to keep an eye out for the numpties but behaviour does get a lot better with familiarity. Finally one thing you might try while getting the mileage up is use a bike carrier and drive in, cycle home, cycle in, drive home etc which will mean 2.5 time your previous daily distance but half the car mileage. Somehow 10 miles a day is much easier than 20 miles every other day.
timmyhiggy

Post by timmyhiggy »

I'm about to move, converting a 2.2 mile to commute to a 22 mile one. I'm looking at getting the train in the morning then cycling home. I don't fancy having to shower and change when I arrive in the morning, in addition to the earlier start! I'm quite looking forward to it though, it should take my riding up a level riding that route multiple times a week!
karlt

Post by karlt »

Mine's 14.2 miles and 750' going, 950' coming back (distances mean nothing without total ascent). I'm doing it 2-4 times a week now; bad weather sees me biking down to the the railway station and then from the destination station to work.